Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

The smoke was near to the mn187164 microprocessor - but I didn't get a good look. I looked over it with a magnifying glass and cannot see any sign of a burnt component. Perhaps I caught it in time and the fault is because I have jiggled a wire loose. I will have another look soon. It sounds like the raw digital signal is going direct to the output.

Hi there!
A new flea in the boat. But that was not the -only- problem. Or messing in created a new one...
No music, silent home ='( Am I dead?
The lens try to focus but the disc does not spin, so I guess it does not focus (focus ok prior to spin?).
Err02 in service mode, sled moves, lens moves, spin motor spins. So focus error. I've had a look in darkness, should the lens be a bit bright or something? It's just pitch black lens.
Before I try a spare laser assy. can someone tell me if the lens is out of the visible range (UV or IR?!) and/or if the servo clock has anything to do with focus?

Thanks
Matthieu

Yep, the same. Btw, I've found that thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/152828-marantz-cd63-ii-sig-need-help-fault-2.html
Read that and found TDA1301 is prone to failure (I've overheated it maybe), that I may see a tiny red light, that there is a hiss when in service mode 01 and turn the disc.
I have no light at all, I have no hiss (what is that like?) but the up & down sound of the lens.
I plan to : put a spare mechanism (VAM12 IIRC), then change the TDA1301, then... don't know!
BTW, thanks for helping.

......can someone tell me if the lens is out of the visible range (UV or IR?!)..........

The laser is visible red. You can see it when the transport is functioning. Not when it's stopped.Without a disc when you close the tray and press play the laser will come on while hunting for the disc. You can see it then. Do not look 'down' into it from top ( if at all possible) . It's a laser and can hurt your eyes if if shines directly into your eyes.

Hello music lovers.
Does someone can answer the following question.
I almost completely modified my CD 67 on the advice that I found here, actually after replacing the capacitors in the digital power supply rail 4700uF to 22000uF after turn off player I have a strange noise (hiss) I guess the problem is that the capacitors for mutting transistors empty before capacitors of 22000uF and it resulted (hiss).
I'm thinking to put the resistor 6,8k 1W shunted with a capacitor in order to speed up discharge.

Last edited:
The 22000uF capacitor is in digital supply rail (C813) and Audio supply is powered by two Nichicon KW 6800uF (C803) (C804). Before I increase capacity in digital supply I used 6800uF Nichicin KA and everything works fine now I have situation when turn off power switch (after 10-15 sec) hiss.
The some thing happend to me when I try to remove muting transistor but I decide to put it back because I personali don't like pop up and his and planing to make muting with relays like Ray describe on CD 57-67 mod.
My question is whether anyone else had this problem after replacing the capacitor (C813)

Swapping the laser mech should be a quick job, so try that! Good luck!

Ok that's my next move, I've checked at Q106 and Laser Drive (LD) show 5V when it try to focus.
Same at the ribbon, the +5VDC is here.
VAM12 ( :'( ) time. As soon as I finish looking for a transport among Philps CD930 or Denon DVD 3910 or Pioneer's stable plater or Sony clamped fixed laser...