Making car amplifier SMPS with tl494 + DC Protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That still has the load between the bottom rail and the transistor. The preamp load is going to be connected to ground.

How about something like this:

Attachments

• regplusminus15v01.gif
    regplusminus15v01.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,237
Hi everybody.
I was looking for a more powerful amp for my car, right now I have a Blaupunkt, 4 x 20W, and it sounds nice, but I added a 10inch woofer, so...
I already have some of the components, tomorrow I'll buy the rectifiers and the parts for the IC, I have some ST mosfets W20NB50, are they good for the smps? I also have one ETD59 core that's going in the project, is it good or should I look for a toroidal one? (the mosfets and the etd comes from a Marconi power supply, 29V, 100A)
Maybe I'll make a "carclone" or the mosfet amp from quasi's forum, the small one :D

Greetings...

Hi

What is "full power" for you? Coz ETD49 will put out around 1kw at freq. of 50kHz, ETD59 much more than that. No really how much power can you handle during car driving for 10 min? 1kw? I don't think so.... Toroids are probably better for you if you have case of some car amp because they are pretty low and you won't get ETD59 inside.

Hello Luka
Thanks for the reply, ok, I'll try the irfz44.

Hello Danko
2.5kW ?? that'll be a big amp :D ok, i don't intend to use it at full power, as is the only ferrite i have, i guess i'll try it.

I have 2 toroids but i don't think they are ferrites, i think they are iron cores, they were used for filtering at the input and output, is there some color code on toroids? one of them is white with some pink on one side, the other is gray with yellow.

off-topic : has anyone tried a 120vac to +/-50vdc smps? :confused:

I am developing a Full bridge power supply for a friend's car subamp, it uses 4 X IRL3713[8 X IRF3205], and HIP4082 for full bridge gate driver or may be gate drive transformer which suit my needs...The transformer primary winding is just made from heat resistance wire with 22 Strands[effective thickness combined is 2.5mm] 600deg C rated and insulated is rated at 2200V.....Due to FB topology the single winding is only needed[no centre tap required] also the power rating is about 1KW, SW 54Khz

Cheers,
Kanwar

try a switchmode from newfangled u-wave oven

For the sake of public informational awareness and to help the DIY community might I reveal that modern microwave ovens have eliminated the iron step up HV xfmer and now employ a HF switchmode PSU. The one I salvaged from a scrapped oven is a really nice printed circuit package with an open ferrite core with the windings on a plastic bobbin. The heavy primary is multi strands of Litz wire IIRC and the secondary that makes the 2 kVAC is not many turns of normal magnet wire. I was thinking of the possibility of rewinding the secondary to make a tube amp plate supply. This little package will output about 3/4 or more of a kW. I have not yet had the time to experiment with my copy but I see a vast arena of potential experimental applications for such a PSU module.

Hi all!

Can you help me to make transformer for SMPS (http://sound.westhost.com/project89.htm)?

I found core from very old AT power supply and now I have some questions:)

1) May I use this core?
2) Max frequency for SMPS with this core?
3) How many turns for primary ?
4) Diameter for primary wire?
5)How many power I'll get from SMPS?

Thank you and sorry for bad english.

Attachments

• core.jpg
    core.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,887
1) May I use this core?

Yes, that's a ferrite ETD39 core. It's an excellent choice. You should have a bobbin though to hold the sides together.

2) Max frequency for SMPS with this core?

I don't know the material it is made from but I would guess that 150kHz is not unreasonable.

3) How many turns for primary ?

This depends on the flux excursion and wire resistance. If you're running it off of 12v - ( I haven't read that article in a while, I'm assuming it's an automotive dc-dc ) you would want perhaps 8+8 turns if you're running at 50kHz. This is just a wild guess. "YMMV"

4) Diameter for primary wire?
This depends on the power level. If you're trying to get 500 watts out, you would have an average current of 40 amps. This would mean at least 2 12 AWG wires in parallel.

5)How many power I'll get from SMPS?

Less than 500 watts.

These are just guesses. There are many important factors to consider when designing a power supply. The magnetics (transformer) are in my opinion the most difficult part to design.

Good luck. Interleave the primary with the secondary so that you have low leakage inductance. If you're kind of hacking this together anyway you want to at least do a good job where you can.

-
MK

raidfibre said:

Yes, that's a ferrite ETD39 core. It's an excellent choice. You should have a bobbin though to hold the sides together.

I don't know the material it is made from but I would guess that 150kHz is not unreasonable.

This depends on the flux excursion and wire resistance. If you're running it off of 12v - ( I haven't read that article in a while, I'm assuming it's an automotive dc-dc ) you would want perhaps 8+8 turns if you're running at 50kHz. This is just a wild guess. "YMMV"

This depends on the power level. If you're trying to get 500 watts out, you would have an average current of 40 amps. This would mean at least 2 12 AWG wires in parallel.

Less than 500 watts.

These are just guesses. There are many important factors to consider when designing a power supply. The magnetics (transformer) are in my opinion the most difficult part to design.

Good luck. Interleave the primary with the secondary so that you have low leakage inductance. If you're kind of hacking this together anyway you want to at least do a good job where you can.

-
MK

Thank you a lot!

It's just what I looking for!

raidfibre said:

Less than 500 watts.

-
MK

can you tell me how can you calculate all that ?

thanks
tamir

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.