Magnepan - convert to active crossovers

The Magnepan tweeter in the 3.6 etc is described as a pure ribbon. (Most people define that to mean pure alu foil and only attached at the top and bottom). Some Apogees (Scintillas and the Full Range from memory) have such pure ribbon tweeters but their impedance (when unaltered by resistors) is less than 0.5 ohm. That is what is puzzling me.

The Magnepan tweeter in the 3.6 etc is described as a pure ribbon. (Most people define that to mean pure alu foil and only attached at the top and bottom). Some Apogees (Scintillas and the Full Range from memory) have such pure ribbon tweeters but their impedance (when unaltered by resistors) is less than 0.5 ohm. That is what is puzzling me.
The low resistance is a result of a thicker and wider piece of aluminium. Magenpan's ribbon is very thin and narrow compared to the ones you refer to.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sad. I was hoping he'd release his measurements of the 1.6 and 1.7. This is (was) one heck of a thread with so many Maggies. In all of these years, I can only recall one other thread on the Internet where someone was running seven Maggies in a HT. But Sig was doing measurements!

I do ignore two "members" that decided to attack me personally on a thread. Oh well. Out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited:
The ribbon is fastended with glues spots every 7 cm but only on one side. This change from left to right. I hope the picture shows it.

Attachments

• Magnepan Ribbon first generation.jpg
    Magnepan Ribbon first generation.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 63
The first generation had an extremely thin foil, about 2.5 µm. It was 1/4" wide and a resistance of 3 Ohm. It easily brook and was replaced by a thicker one with a resistance of 2 Ohm, about 4 µm thick. You had to add a resistor of 1 Ohm. The later generation of the ribbon is narrower and the magnets are thicker. Also 3 Ohm.