Magnepan - convert to active crossovers

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
A little update - I've played around with different XO points, and found it better to crossover to the midrange a lot higher - I've changed it from 800 to 2500 Hz. The mid/tweeter point is moved slightly down from 4500 to 4000 Hz. The mid will cover less than an octave actually.

I'm also working on a mid-bass dipole system for my Magnepan 3.7's using four 12" drivers to replace the two Magnepan 1.6's. More on this later, or perhaps in an other thread. Let's see.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
New mid bass system is in place! Crossover points are 100 and 400 Hz. The difference in max SPL and distortion compared to the Magnepan 3.7 is massive. I will present some measurements later on. Above 400 Hz however, the Magnepan is simply superb.

With the given baffle width, the Qts of the Eminence Delta 12B drivers and the placement within the room, it’s not much to gain below 100 Hz. I initially wanted to cross over at 80 Hz, but it requires too much EQ boost.

IMG_0359.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I know where Norway is and how far Copenhagen is... ;)

At 5Hz we're talking near seismic waves and a tsunami or two!

Are you running those dynamic drivers flat to from 400 to 100 Hz then? What impresses me is how high you are running the Maggie woofer panels. I guess free of not having to do anything under 100Hz, they can put out a huge midrange image.

What does the imaging sound like when it's coming from a surface, not just a line source?

I was wondering if the 3.7s are not overkill in this situation... perhaps just the 1.7i would do? I'm running 1.7s with Entec servo woofers. But I have not tried using the Entec high pass crossover, instead I run both in parallel.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Is the under 400Hz behavior due to the room? After all, you're measuring at 9 feet. I'm curious what the frequency looks like at 1m.

I usually play my 1.7s five feet from the back wall and 2 1/2 feet from the side walls ( as measured from the tweeter's side )... with the tweeters to the outside. My couch sits about 10 feet from the speakers. The inside of the speakers are about 6 feet edge to edge.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Are you running those dynamic drivers flat to from 400 to 100 Hz then? What impresses me is how high you are running the Maggie woofer panels. I guess free of not having to do anything under 100Hz, they can put out a huge midrange image.

What does the imaging sound like when it's coming from a surface, not just a line source?

I was wondering if the 3.7s are not overkill in this situation... perhaps just the 1.7i would do? I'm running 1.7s with Entec servo woofers. But I have not tried using the Entec high pass crossover, instead I run both in parallel.
My Maggie woofer panels cover 400 to 2500 Hz. The panel starts to beam a little above 3 kHz, so that’s where the upper limit is.

The 1.7 is actually better below 400 Hz than the larger 3.7… but it does not have the 3.7’s fabulous true ribbon tweeter.

Imaging … nothing else is quite like Magnepan :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hmm.. do the new 0.7 have the true ribbon tweeter?

Perhaps we'll get a 1.8?

The 3s will simply overpower my room ( 14x22x8 ).

I wonder, if I could build a woofer panel like yours, but smaller. Say, two 10" drivers, about 16 inches wide. Keep the Maggies untouched but run a high pass filter on them. Run the woofers on a low pass filter.. and cross over at around 200 Hz. Hmmm... I wonder what my wife would think about that. So far, it's been so good in our living room.

Run A2s on the woofers and A5s on the Maggies.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I’ve moved the crossover point between the 12” wooofers and Maggie bass panel to 450 Hz. Distortion now stays below -60 dB ( 0.1% ) with 95 dB @ 3 meters. That is equivalent to ~105 dB @ 1 meter. At my normal listening level ( 70 -75 dB); distortion is actually lower than the noise floor in my room and/or my hearing threshold. Can’t complain too much about that :)

Next project is to do more or less the same with the centre channel and surrounds, which are Magnepan 3.6’s with 1.6’s as extra bass panels. I think I’ll try Eminence Alpha 10A, at least four of them on each Magnepan.

Of the currently Magnepan lineup, only the 3.7, 20.7 and 30.7 has the true ribbon tweeter. There's a mini version of it in the Mini Maggie though.

A smaller woofer panel may of course work.... 4x12" is a bit overkill.
I read the 3.6 also has a true ribbon tweeter.. StigE reported that it has 3 ohm impedance. Why is that so much higher than an Apogee true ribbon tweeter?

Its a great shame but StigE appears to have disabled his account ☹️