Madisound BK12m

Well here's my first proto build on the BK 12 speaker box. Its almost right? The top corner peices were not cut right and the bottom angle peice is cut a little short but, I wanted to see if I could build this box. It took me a little while but, I got it done. Thanks Scottmoose and Dave. I will be building a fresh pair of these in the next month. N.S.

P.s. I cut the wood using a circular saw and clamps to hold the wood in place. So again not to hard but, it took time ;). Now if I had a table saw it would have been done asap :D.

Attachments

• IMG224.jpg
    IMG224.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:
NS,
Why don't you just use the speaker box as built? It will work fine. From the sims I see that small differences in angles will not make a huge difference unless it is a throat dimension or channel spacing. It would be a shame to waste that build and all that wood. I think it looks pretty good.

Well you might be right. I think I will keep it and use it as a center channel speaker? I know it would be a shame to waste all that wood. My wife had said the same thing you did about wasting the wood. Also I use 3/4 of a inch not 5/8's of a inch as it has said in the plans. Well again thanks for the encourgement. N.S.

Here is a photo of my "experiment" in the rough mock up stage. I have a super tweeter in parallel w/ a 0.66 uf 250v cap to tone it down to my liking. This setup, along with the baffle, make for a nice listening experience.

Again...the Alpair 7 drivers are wonderful.

Attachments

• BK12M Baffle 002.JPG
    BK12M Baffle 002.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 685
Thanks guys ! It took me more than I anticipated to build them since my cabinet making skills are pretty limited . I did not rush, took my time & followed step by step instructions .Very pleased the way they came out.:)

Great job! How big are those stands? I'm thinking I should make a pair myself.

These are 3" thick maple butcher blocks 10"w x 5"h.

Those risers are attractive. Jus
t be aware you'll loose some floor-coupling. Tradeoff between that & getting the driver further on-axis with the ears for those with higher chairs. ;)

First of all many thanks to you & everyone else who was involved designing these horns. I actually added 1" wooden isolation cone ( pics ) underneath the horns ( about 5dg tilt angle ).To support back of the speakers I used kitchen cabinets shelf brackets (pics ).

Attachments

• 101_2396.jpg
    101_2396.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 805
  • 101_2398.jpg
    101_2398.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 767
  • 101_2391.jpg
    101_2391.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 740
  • 101_2400.jpg
    101_2400.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 764
Not that i know of.The design was done with MJK (a step up from HornResp IMO) and a number of proprietory tools.

dave

I might put together a model this weekend if I have the time. It looks fairly straightforward - rear-loaded horn with a damped back chamber, horn in four segments... Are there any impedance measurements of a built horn available that I can use to compare against the HornResp model?

This is one of those topics that can quickly devolve into religious / polemics territory - suffice to say that the physical characteristics of the two materials (MDF / high density plywood) are quite different, and those differences do affect the sonics.

Anecdotally, based on a few comparative builds from over 10yrs ago, I find the plywood enclosures to sound much "faster" and "musically consonant" - those are not scientific terms :D