Mach 5 Audio, IXL18 enclosure size?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not to sound like a dick but theese guys are trying to help u out. And it seems like every post they write u have something negative to say. If u dont believe them or mark at the company then buy a box building program like termpro and design your own like i said not trying to be a dick but theese guys didnt have to take the time to reshearch the sub encloser either

I have not questioned anyones advice.

only questioned second hand information they've provided.

it doesn't make sense.

you don't recommend a woofer be in 200 litres tuned to 20Hz for home theatre, then put it in the same size box tuned to 30Hz, in the small environment of a car which will have huge cabin gain.

it just doesn't make sense :xeye:

Sorry i was tired when i posted that and wasent having a good day. the more i look at the post's you are right it doesnt make alot of sense. The info says the same box will work either in a home or car use. Im thinking that isnt right either due to the thing called transfer fuction. Well hope u have good luck with trying to find the box that works best for u

WinISD is free but I don't have the time to plug it in and model boxes for you. If this is a big box efficient type of sub, then they tend to only work well a few ways. One is a small sealed where they have a big dropoff in low end extension, read=no low bass but very powerful for higher frequency like a pro sound setup . The other is a large sealed or ported, or IB, to get a lot of low bass. They just don't work well in smaller boxes, again I didn't model it to see.

Also depends on what you want, this could work well for SPL in a smaller box but would sound nasty for music and you would not get much bottom. I like bottom, for a long time I've set my subs to make under 35hz the most and always have plenty above that. It is the only way I seem to get 20hz out of them at all.

OK...here ya go

SEALED
Box Results
Vb- 5003.24 liters
Fb- 18.1784 hz
F3- 41.135 hz
Length- 135.152 cm
Width- 218.946 cm
Depth- 83.4273 cm
Total V(liter)- 2468.7 liters
This is all done in metric...Results show it should have a very gradual slope starting at around 180hz in output response. At 30 hz it has about a -4.97 dB output response.

PORTED SBB4 Alignment
Box Results
Vb- 167.216 liters
Fb- 17.7 hz
F3- 22.2719 hz
Lp- 201415 cm
Length- 4141.05 cm
Width- 6708.5 cm
Depth- 2556.2 cm
This has a bit sharper slope but it starts at aroudn 47hz in output response. At 30hz it has a -1.8dB output response. The port CANNOT be anything less than 670 cm2 wide or else air chaffing/noise will be created.

Power vs. frequency response is identical for both. Hope this helps it took me a while.

ThyDntWntMusic said:

ah, it doesn't explain the oversized box with 28Hz tuning for use in a car :confused:

are you really that ignorant?? SOUND QUALITY = flat response. Not a peaky response with a higher tuning. SOUND QUALITY SUBWOOFER.

Hmmm...things coming together yet???

Seriously though you are being a dick...learn what sound quality is before you talk about it like you know.

aznboi3644 said:
no response?? not really...i just don't check this thread every day.

its an SQ subwoofer...how many sq setups do you see with big enclosures tuned to 40Hz??

Lower tuning...lower peak...lower group delay...better sq...its simple actually.

you do realise you're not actually stating anything that I didn't know.

nor are you correctly anything thats been said here.

so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve?

ThyDntWntMusic said:

you don't recommend a woofer be in 200 litres tuned to 20Hz for home theatre, then put it in the same size box tuned to 30Hz, in the small environment of a car which will have huge cabin gain.

it just doesn't make sense :xeye:

The 200 liter/19Hz was derived from a formula to calculate the "optimum" ported box size from lumped T/S parameters. From that calculation, I get:

203 liters, Fp of 18.5 Hz, F3 of 19Hz and a ripple of 0.08dB.
Obviously, not when placed in a car.

I assume he brought up Fp to 28Hz (which increases ripple to +3.7dB), estimating the in-car response would boost the 20Hz region back up.

It *is* a punt, but much of car audio is and always has been!

Really, it's a perfectly average dealer response in my out-of-date experience.

ThyDntWntMusic said:
I'm wanting them to play music, down to around 30Hz, seeing most music doesn't go much lower than this.

obviously, the recommended box sizes are for a home theatre application.

the question isn't what is the "correct" box, its what box would YOU put them in?

It looks like a very versatile woofer with enormous swept displacement and a low Vas.

I would weigh available space/placement in the car/available power/expectations against other speakers the woofers will have to mate with to determine where to start.

In fact, if a respectable amount of power is available it would be too tempting to try at least a couple of different approaches.

In general, the minimum plain old sealed box I'd use would be around 2 cubic feet.

Infinite baffle would be a great option, but not possible in every car, especially with an 18, or if midbasses are too small to blend.

If I had the power and a proper cabin vent available, a small box with electronic Q-correction would be irresistable to try. Believe it or not, around a cubic foot with LT may require less than 10dB/20Hz to get the response back in line.

I personally don't do ported systems if they can't be made in the realm of that "optimum" box size.

It shows about 6db under my quad 12s. Not sure how much that is, I could lose a little but not a lot of output. One 18 sure would be nice IB and take much less room....but they don't give them away either.

Looks like 70-200L for sealed, bigger for lower. Beyond that larger just helps below 20Hz. It really wants minimum 100L to get down low. 150L at 18Hz ported would be ideal for my car, but I'm sure most would not bother to go that low or such a huge box. For SQ and compared to my 12s that would be close to flat the way I EQ mine, and would reach 20Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.