LuFo Amp - 39w SE Class A from 28v Rail

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Circlotron,
I remember your huge amp now. Those are some inductors you have there! 28v and 3.5A sounds familiar. :)

353156d1370612447-class-amp-class-003-jpg

You used MOSFETs instead of the JFET. I also made a 50w choke loaded MOSFET source follower but with slightly different front end following Hugh Dean’s Glass Harmony design.

As suspected, JPS64 was already on the prowl making a new LuFo Lite board :)
It looks wonderful, thank you, JPS64. There are a lot of options on this board such as Fastons, flying leads, or Molex MiniFit connectors for power, speakers, and MOT. There is an option for external heatsink mounted resistor or use the on board “fence post” style triple elevated resistor mount. Having a built in cap multiplier and CRC will give this amp excellent low noise performance and built in slow ramp up to prevent startup speaker pop.

Will there be Gerber files for this amp to?
As it should for the "full" Lufo.

In practice, if we use separate case for tube front end, the same PCB can be used, and only positive signal will be used to drive the LuFo. If we want to put the FE in the same case (tubes can pick up noise and hum from main transformer), then I can remove the voltage regulators and use DC/DC booster. If xrk971 can share the schematic for booster, I can start making a layout. The other option is to have a separate transformer to power up the tube front end.

I prefer the FE in separate case. It gives more flexibility. One can try different power followers, SE, Balanced...

Putting this FE in a separate case gets my vote.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
In practice, if we use separate case for tube front end, the same PCB can be used, and only positive signal will be used to drive the LuFo. If we want to put the FE in the same case (tubes can pick up noise and hum from main transformer), then I can remove the voltage regulators and use DC/DC booster. If xrk971 can share the schematic for booster, I can start making a layout. The other option is to have a separate transformer to power up the tube front end.

I prefer the FE in separate case. It gives more flexibility. One can try different power followers, SE, Balanced...

Yes, sure I can share the DC/DC booster schematic. Which one are you referring to? The one for the OPA454?

Curious, X. What is the benefit of the larger output coupling cap? Is it just more insurance that no DC will make it to the speakers? Or does it have to do with increased bass response or something else? My Lufo-Lite seems happy with the 2,200uf output cap right now.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Jwjarch,
2200uF cap has -3dB roll off at 9Hz with 8ohm speaker so by 36Hz it’s already starting to fall. 4700uF will make the cutoff at 4.2Hz so 2 octaves above is 16.8Hz - below 20Hz bass which is the lowest we need to go. If you don’t need 20Hz bass then the 2200uF is fine. Certainly even 1000uF is enough for most headphones.

Freq of -3dB for first order RC filter = 1/ (2pi x R x C)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks dBel. The laminations moved a bit during transport. They were packed in foam but this is such a dense object I think an impact just made the choke push through the foam and hit whatever it was hard. The measured inductance seems within spec. The DCR is a bit high at 0.88ohm though. They are just samples so we may have to refine the specs and construction before the final order.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Hugh,
Thank you. These inductors turned out nicely I think. That impedance sweep looks very good. The manufacturer tells me he is very confident about the DCR - measured with professional bench LCR meter at 0.484ohms. I will check my DATS calibration to make sure it’s good. 11lbs 5oz is a heavy dense object though.

Here is the air gap under a microscope. The spec was 0.1mm - I am told there is paper used inside to set the spacing before it was glued and bolted together.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Meanie,
Here is the airgap (I forgot to include in the earlier post):
970298d1627438010-susylu-91208aa9-1bea-4171-bf47-888cf49d08d6-jpeg

The air gap helps to prevent saturation from a DC field. If you don’t have DC then air gaps are important. Such is the case of a toroidal transformer. Air core inductors don’t have the saturation issue but are huge for the same value of inductance.