LuDEF

Judging by reports from the DIY community, the Cinemag and Jensen transformers are not as susceptible to EMI as the Edcors.
Enough space between them and the power trafos is always your friend.
I dunno about you guys but I had a hell of a time removing noise EMI in my CSX1 that I ended up building separate chassis for the power supply. Perhaps the Nuvotec made, potted toroidals gave off some weirdly EMI, the noise was easily measured between covers on or off: Post #5 below:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/my-sony-vfet-csx1-adventures-grief.359938/post-6335454

Todays plan is that I'll be fitting Cinemag autoformers, using SMT caps on the back of the bords and a GOSS banded traffo mounted as far away as possible from the boards.

What I'd really love would be a Vishay pltu SMT version with the upper (and maybe also lower) layer of the board as a ground plane, earthed via the mtg posts. All the resistors and caps on the back

Might there be any possible benefit in mtg the transistors on the back with their heads pressed against the heatsink - also with a dab of thermal grease?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It would be helpful

Thanks again
compare these two:

ludef-schmtc-png.937325

LuDEF signal path.png

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
question is not stupid ...... only rationale behind it can be :clown:

that's practically sole ( serious) cap in signal path .... but it's sonic footprint ( if made as I made it - Silmic+MKC bypass) is much lesser than you think

I have a version of amp (in fact - all of these autoformer based) with current mirror biasing (same as in Babelfish XA252) which allows direct couplin all the way from input to output, but this si not time to pursue that

maybe in future, when I'm done with all amps (Plethora series) waiting in line to be published