LuDEF

Joined 2019
Paid Member
With Supreme grade transformer, blame is to be put on that shiny pot, with very low heat emissivity.
Solution: Paint it black :devilish:
or, listen to the music and don’t pay attention to those insignificant issues.

DC offset is mostly related to the BC564 temperature.
Solution: DC servo

As for high temperatures, I will have an implementation of Babysitter, based on Mark Johnson’s design.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Take in the account temperature inside case. With heatsinks at 55 degrees and lid on, inside must be 40-45. So, transformer is only 20 -25 degrees above ambient. Polished pot also doesn’t provide much heat removal through radiation. I think that 65 degrees is expected under such conditions.

taking in account that this potted xformer can't be "shorted" through mounting screw, so that possibility is outa suspicion

power off, cut off rails from one channel, so Donut/cap bank being loaded with just one channel

leave it to temp equilibrium and inform us what's temp of Donut then
Hi ZM. With only Left channel connected to the PSU and after 1 hour of warming up, the pot of transformer was just at about 30 degC. Same with just the Right channel powered - the pot at about 30C after an hour. With both channels powered and 1 hour of heating up, the pot of power transformer at about 35C, after 1,5 hrs - 40C, after 2,5 hrs at 50C. Diod bridges now are at 55C, heasinks at 50C.

What would you say? Perhaps tombo56 is correct that this is expected?
The shiny pot was at 65C after the full day of opperation, some 8 hrs perhaps.

If it is 3U x 400mm deep, then yes. Need room for proper dual-mono PSU.
Do I? I was hoping to either use the duel rail SLB or copy Tombo's super reg PSU install

400mm deep is crazy. I can just fit 350. 300 being 'normal'

Ideally I just want someone to tell me that a 3U x 300 Dissipate with a 4mm front will be perfectly fine :)

Last edited: