• done2.jpg
    done2.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 214
  • done3.jpg
    done3.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 212
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I recently went through finding a way to get my Tannoy to a height where I can use them.

No time for MLTL or OB experiments with on-going slow amp projects…and wanted to at least live with them and hopefully have some enjoyment in the mean time.

I found the legs for $22 US per set on Amazon. They are quite sturdy and were a pleasant surprise.

I thought the same thing about placing amps under them. Possibly in the future as I was considering modifying a 5U case to make two monoblock SissySIT or LuDef.

Attachments

• 577F2D80-C5D4-4D30-A277-062954455A09.jpg
    577F2D80-C5D4-4D30-A277-062954455A09.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 181
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Modushop monoblock cases are in making , so soon we will have them as option

btw - when you have Tan 15" MLTL, you'll hear night and day difference with same drivers

either that, or spare your self further troubles ...... simply send them to OPLDF

:clown:

edit: from my experience - I would invest time and energy first in speakers ...... when you have that sorted - drive them with anything you have handy, even proper wallkman will do the job :rofl:

meaning - with good speakers , many amps are good; with so-so speakers, you must indulge them endlessly ....

15" Tulips are simply choked in these boxes, giving far less than is possible to get from them ........ can't remember what xover is inside, but CPA15 xover is definitely best option for them, made with premium parts (read - bass choke either aircoil with 2mm wire or decent EI or Toroid thingie; I prefer aircoil in this case)

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I completely agree about investing the time in the speakers.

I am just trying to stay as focused as I can finishing one project at a time.

I had already started my current amp project when the Tannoy came into my life.

So even though I would like to start the MLTL, I need to resist for now.

I also thought it would be useful to live with them as is for a while, so I can get a feeling for them.

My life is good right now…I am listening to music every day.

I have never experienced that level of audio nirvana since going horn speakers and low power jfet amp.The Johnny Cash 'personal Jesus' song has changed meaning. lol

Curious to see how the LuDEF does and I am excited. ;)

I used to own the smaller version of these Pro Tannoy monitors (6 or 8in cones). They were interesting but I never got to appreciate them, I didn't have tubes or Jfet amps back then, that center horn was very bright and tiring to me.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Curious to see how the LuDEF does and I am excited. ;)

Hmm, I think you won’t be disappointed. I’m using this amplifier with modest speakers that carry Tannoy heritage (Fyne audio F501) and that are recognized for holographic sound stage presentation and detailed reproduction. LuDEF provides everything needed and doesn’t hold speakers back.

Music never comes from speakers but from the wide and deep stage in front of me. However I try to threw off balance my perception and convince my ears/brain that speakers are playing music, I can’t.

Artists are precisely positioned on the stage and, if several sing at once, everyone is on effortless recognizable different position. Instruments are, depending on the recording, scattered wide and deep. Details and nuances …. a lot. I have perfect negative H2 through whole audio band and this is probably partially responsible for such a good sound stage.

This amplifier provides. Build it and enjoy.

Hmm, I think you won’t be disappointed. I’m using this amplifier with modest speakers that carry Tannoy heritage (Fyne audio F501) and that are recognized for holographic sound stage presentation and detailed reproduction. LuDEF provides everything needed and doesn’t hold speakers back.

Music never comes from speakers but from the wide and deep stage in front of me. However I try to threw off balance my perception and convince my ears/brain that speakers are playing music, I can’t.

Artists are precisely positioned on the stage and, if several sing at once, everyone is on effortless recognizable different position. Instruments are, depending on the recording, scattered wide and deep. Details and nuances …. a lot. I have perfect negative H2 through whole audio band and this is probably partially responsible for such a good sound stage.

This amplifier provides. Build it and enjoy.

nice review!

I have an F5+ACA (4channel) amp. Since I got rid of my OBs I find that I am not using F5 and ACA may be moving to a separate housing now. I am contemplating changing F5 for another amp. Two options under consideration: a) M2 or b) LuDEF with a BA3 FE instead of the transformer (if ZenMod will put that circuit together). I need something that can drive 4 ohm load, though only from midbass and up (for bass duty I use ICEpower amps).

BA3 FE boards are available in the store and I could fit smaller LuDEF OS boards on my heatsink. So it would look like my BA3b monos here (the red FE board can be seen on the front and LuDEF OS boards would be mounted on the sides like F4 OS in these pictures):

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/201281-burning-amp-ba-3b-balanced-57.html#post4794952

The only difference is that my F5 housing is a bit longer because it has 2x mono Pass regulated PS (from Zen5 article), so it is my flagship housing so to speak (the rails about +/-22.7V if I remember correctly).

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/166784-pictures-diy-pass-amplifier-390.html#post4996942

What power and heat dissipation could I expect from such a luDEF?

Last edited: