LRDDMC Loudspeaker Resistor Drive Distortion Measurement Challenge

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, I would love to see your measurements on a dedicated thread.
Field coil allows the adjustment of load line on the (de)magnetisation curve and this topic has not seen a lot of analysis and measurements (at least not published).
George
George, I am working with a friend to produce an article for AudioXpress.
We haven't looked at a loadline yet, not sure how we would do that?

One other thing we see (expected) is that with increasing field power input, efficiency goes up and the T/S parameters also change.
Qts and Qes and Bl (of course) increase with field power.
Going from 10W to 20W changes efficiency from 1.8% to 2.5%.

Jan

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It's not my design, we are measuring a driver from Wolf von Langa.

Jan

Attachments

• photo 1b.jpg
    photo 1b.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 41
That applies to the cone as viewed as a lumped mass (i.e. at low frequencies). At high frequencies, the cone acts as a transmission plane and looks resistive. Though the voice-coil inductance and resistance "get in the way" as far as damping is concerned.
Tmuikku has a point. At Fs, the cone mass and suspension cancel leaving nothing in the way of the motional impedance of the motor. However the voicecoil and former are a very stiff mass which sits between the voicecoil and cone. This mass is what reduces coupling to the main cone and modes. You could, perhaps, cancel the mass of this cone with some twisted evil transformation of negative impedance, but having a flat response and low distortion after that would be a bear of a problem to solve.

Honestly, DSP is more practical. The modes don't radiate equally in all directions but across the listening axis the lowest modes can be reduced by use of DSP. It easy to do this improperly though.

@keantoken - What I'm saying is that the cone doesn't look like a mass, just as you would say a piece of coaxial cable doesn't look like a capacitor at high frequencies.

I'm sure the voice-coil itself adds some effects at high frequencies, but this isn't anything to do with what happens at fs (which is most certainly not a "high frequency).

Yes, I'm fully aware the cone is a diaphragm with it's own characteristic impedance and reflection times. The electrical analogue is an inductor as the cone mass, feeding a transmission line with a number of series and parallel resonances (dips and peaks). When the inductor impedance is significant compared to the characteristic impedance of the transmission line, no driving resistance (motor damping) will be able to critically damp the resonance modes.

EDIT: You can look into Hartley loudspeakers for one approach to dealing with cone resonances.

Last edited:
I said the cone is like a transmission line, which can be resistive to the extent that it is well damped. If it's not well damped, then it has a series of resonances according to it's reflection time. At what level of detail will you stop pointing out things that I left out because I'm not writing a book?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
George, I am working with a friend to produce an article for AudioXpress.
Nice. I trust it will be a good article.
not sure how we would do that?
Like doing it with a magnetic circuit employing a given permanent magnet. Now except the gap and the shape of the magnetic path, you have the extra tool of variable H field (Ampere, turns)
Going from 10W to 20W changes efficiency from 1.8% to 2.5%
1.8% is already quite high

Coincidently, I am on a project doing measurements on a field coil driver.
The most outstanding parameter is the very low distortion, on a par with an ESL.
I wonder whether the mere replacement of the permanent magnet with an electromagnet could have that effect, or whether there are other mechanisms at work?
Interesting stuff, looking forward to your findings.

I would think with a well-designed magnetic circuit and the field coil driven with constant current and the gap saturated even at high VC currents the motor distortion, notably BL(i), should be excellent.
But even with a non-saturated gap the magnetic circuit might be stiffer than with a pre-polarized magnet.

To check whether the gap is saturated you could plot mid-band SPL vs. FC current at constant VC voltage. When SPL stops to rise BL his maxing out, indicating saturation.

20240102 fund 42 davor.png

yellow: without series resistance at 2.8V (measured at 50hz)
green: with 20R in series. Level adjusted according to SPL. No EQ - just volume.

20240102 D5 42 davor.png

orange: D5 without series resistance
pink: D5 with 20R

20240102 D4 42 davor.png

magenta: D4 without series resistor
cyan: D4 with 20R

20240102 D3 42 davor.png

light gray: D3 without series resistor
red: D3 with 20R

20240102 D2 42 davor.png

yellow: D2 without series resistance
light blue: D2 with 20R