low noise Pre-Amp / DAC power supply MJE15034 TL072 Regulator based on STUDER 900

Bo Nydal, your NAC152 needs two 24V positive voltages, not the positive and negative voltages the studer psu provides. You cannot connect the psu to give you two positive voltages referenced to the same ground/minus pole.
You will need two seperated single psus with two seperated windings or transformers to avoid any supply voltages and grounding conflicts.

It seems to me that the 'Studer 900' dual board can be configured either for dual positive supplies or for a +V/0V/-V supply, provided that two separate input windings are connected.
From the eBay description:
"Input voltage range: dual 9V-24V (4 line transformer)
Output: ±DC 5V-28V or dual DC 5V to dual positive 28V with short circuit protection."

Bo Nydal, your NAC152 needs two 24V positive voltages, not the positive and negative voltages the studer psu provides. You cannot connect the psu to give you two positive voltages referenced to the same ground/minus pole.
You will need two seperated single psus with two seperated windings or transformers to avoid any supply voltages and grounding conflicts.

Hi lohk, thanks for joining in. The board I have is billed as providing either 2 positive voltage rails up to 28V or symmetric positive and negative rails again up to 28V. To this effect it provides 7 output connections, two pairs (each marked as 'vcc' and 'gnd') and a group of three (marked as 'vcc', 'gnd', and 'vss' respectively). Are you saying that the arrangement described cannot provide me with the two +24V connections that the NAC152 clone requires ? If so, can you provide me with more detail of why that is, please.
Thanks in advance,
Bo

Hi Bo

The schematic of this board is difficult to follow, but it is designed for two separate outputs which can be connected at the output end to create a dual supply. If the input windings are not completely separate from each other I don't know what would happen, but it does look like the main smoothing capacitors have had their rating exceeded.
I looked up an eBay description of the board, and it says "Input Voltage Range: Dual 9V-24V (4 line transformer)." I think that's the issue.

Hi Jonners, thanks for getting back to me.

It really is very confusing. If you look closely at the board it comprises of two completely electrically separate circuits. When it is configured to provide a symmetrical supply there is a link that must be added to connect the ground of each side but if that link is absent there is no electrical contact between left and right halves of the board. This visual evidence is completely backed up by meter readings.

If it is true that there is no possible way for a 20V AC supply to generate a DC voltage of 36V (and I am quite happy to accept assurances that is the case) and there is no electrical path between the two halves of the power supply board then it seems to me that the only possible source of the over-voltage problem is the transformer. I am a little loathe to accept it because it seems a bit ridiculous but I can draw no other conclusion at this point.

I have ordered another board, time will tell whether I can resurrect this one for a later project 8^)

Thanks again for your kind contribution.

Cheers,
Bo

Hi Bo,

I think the trouble is that you are creating a link between the two halves of the board with the 0V of your 20-0-20 transformer. The board needs two separate 0-20V windings to be connected, as stated in the eBay description. It's most unlikely that there is a problem with the transformer. I think you said in an earlier post that it measures 21-0-21V AC? That's fine, but it's just not suitable for this application.

Edit: A 20V AC supply won't rectify to 30V or more DC, but you have a 20-0-20V AC supply - which is a different thing.

Last edited:
Ok, my "Studers" are symmetrical.
But Jonners is right, you are connecting both halves of the regulator together with the transformer. This may give you two positive voltages but only if they will be completely seperated on the preamp side - which they are not with the NAC152, where the 0V = ground lines are connected together on principle.
Your regulators will only work with a transformer with two seperate windings. And of course 20V AC will never give 36V DC after rectification/smoothing. (Maybe your connection involantarily acted as some kind of voltage doubler Rectifier - Wikipedia)

Your regulators will only work for the NAC job with a transformer with two seperate windings (or two transformers). For a safe overhead for the regulators you will need more than 5V more than the wanted output voltage. In your case the transformer should at least have two 24V AC windings.

Hi folks. I’m looking at building a power supply for my RPi3b and Allo Boss dac which has a jumper allowing the dac to be powered separately to the Pi, each via it’s own board. Is it possible/advisable do this from a single studer900 or should I get the dual one? Some of the single ads say dual output is possible but I’m wondering if it’s a mistranslation

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Keilau, thanks for helping out.

I'll try to attach some images to illustrate the situation.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hope that clarifies what I've got connected and how I've connected it up.

Thanks again.
Bo
Bo, you have the wrong transformer. The Studer900 board is 2 independent rectifier circuit. You need a dual windings transformer, not a center tap winding transformer. When you get the correct transformer, use the hookup to get the +/-24VDC you want.
Dual_studer900_hookup.png

Bo, you have the wrong transformer. The Studer900 board is 2 independent rectifier circuit. You need a dual windings transformer, not a center tap winding transformer. When you get the correct transformer, use the hookup to get the +/-24VDC you want.
View attachment 843879

Bo needs two positive 24V outputs, one for each board. Is that what your diagram shows?

View attachment 843879

Thanks Keilau, my 2x24VAC traffo is on order, along with a new Studer900 board, so I'll be good to go shortly. Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Bo