Low noise Balanced MC Pre

Please post the schematic. As I said, there are many variants flying around that are losing this feature in the process of "improving" it. One good example above.

Yes true, but in this Hawskford circuit the Cart is driving the bases.
I used a transconductance variant that was driving emitters as in Bonsai's circuit.
Caps were used connected to the bases, that discharged partly over the Cart at switch off.
When driving bases, there is usually no need to construct additional complex circuitry to protect the Cart.

Hans

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is the schematic for one channel of the 'TranBal MC Head Amp'.

I have not added the CM adj. pot. If people feel strongly about it, I will add it. The BW limiting cap (C8) is 12nF and not 6nF (5.6nF) to save on an additional value - at 20kHz we are only down by 0.2 dB. 12nF will be used in the RIAA EQ section.

I am pushing the LM4562 a bit with the +5V reg (25mA load current worst case) so I am proposing to have the output at c. 10-12V off a 15V rail and to drop the voltage down to 5V through a 270 Ohm resistor. The +5V Ultra rail is heavily filtered (1000uF) similar to the X-Altra MC/MM.

I've used 100 Ohm 0.1% 0805 and 1k 0.1% 0805 - when you buy them 10 up the cost comes down quickly.

Most of the remaining values (and in the RIAA MM section to come) will be based on values I'm currently using and have to hand.

I'll post up the RIAA + filter section tomorrow

As always, comments/feedback welcome

Attachments

• Bal Tran MS Head Amp 1.JPG
    Bal Tran MS Head Amp 1.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The input signal is effectively swinging the floating power supply above and below through a load resistor. You see a related technique in power amplifiers where the output is grounded and the load is connected to the power supply 0 V. The amplifier PSU rails swing the PSU rails which swings the 0 V point and hence develops a voltage across the load.

Last edited:
The input signal is effectively swinging the floating power supply above and below through a load resistor. You see a related technique in power amplifiers where the output is grounded and the load is connected to the power supply 0 V. The amplifier PSU rails swing the PSU rails which swings the 0 V point and hence develops a voltage across the load.

Is this in reply to my question and does the explanation
apply to "all" phono stages with "floating" supply ? Your
power amp example, known with dual floating supplies,
allows dc output also, otherwise, where would be the low
corner frequency ? Thanks.