Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Is REW THD resolution limited to 5 zeros ?

Attachments

• 4k-6.jpg
    4k-6.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 427
source R+S UPA3 generator
soundcard -22dbfs

1) 118mV into notch and post amplifier

2) 573mV into passive bandpass, notch and post amplifier /the 0,000081 was in a good moment, most of the time it was around 0,00011

see how the bandpass cleans up the signal :)

Notice the required manual fundamental voltage to have the 4khz at -54dbc

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 384
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It appears to have an IM product and best guess is around 500 Hz. Something in either the card, the source or most likely common mode element has a significant 500 Hz component. You are band limiting the measurement at 500 Hz which may suppress the source of the modulation. These measurements are really hard to do cleanly. The first 100 dB not so much but below that you need to work really hard on the setup. I much prefer dB to % because with these numbers your counting zeros and there are lots to count. And dB relate better to the task of reducing interference and harmonics.

Every opamp is class A, but only up to 2 or 3mA output current. But that means that with loads above a few kohm, they will not exit class A.

Jan

Class AB (or XD) surely, and you can use output biasing to extend the range of class A operation by forcing XD mode. The degree of assymetry of drive varies between devices (the LM358 is notably assymetric for one IIRC, being not far from class A perhaps?)

Maybe a language issue. I meant to say that with load values higher than a few kohms the load current stays below the standing current in the opamp output stage so they will stay in class A.

Jan

One of the nice things about having real-time FFT (particularly if the THD+N spec of it is good) is watching how the harmonics behave as you drive an OA into 300 / 600R and slowly push the level up. I think the LM4562 is particularly good in this regard (and it takes about 50-100% more current than other more commonly used OAs)