low cost ADAU1452 China board...

Okay, I checked it now. The way Shenzhen works, it would have been weird if anything changed in these boards as opposed to three years ago. And indeed, counting from IOVDD on the side of the chip facing the potentiometer, it's still the 9th pin = AUXADC2. Both, the schematic, as well as the PCB top view, also still match reality. R7 is also still a 10k potentiometer. On my particular specimen, it happens to be a properly working potentiometer, too.

Like I wrote, the "empty" AUXADC block in my last set of screenshots was due to a non-100% zoom level in SigmaStudio (apparently a bug). With zoom at "normal", it looks like in your screenshot (attaching another screenshot as proof).

Is it even possible to use these boards "live" via the freeUSBi firmware? Or does it perhaps only allow writing the program to them, and that's it?

Perhaps I should try making the RGB LED on MP11/MP12/MP13 light up. And if that works, try out the push buttons on MP7/MP8/MP9.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    128.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    31.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hi all! Very happy beaver here, feeling like I'm slowly getting the hang of this visual programming thing.

Today I Learned:
  • the programmer doesn't power the DSP board; it needs its own power via the microUSB
  • DSP needs to be powered first, programmer second
  • push buttons are not on GPIOs 7/8/9 like schematic says, but 6/7/9 like ernperkins's screenshot says
A few oddities still (see new screenshot), but finally feeling like attaching an ADC to try and get some sound out of it! :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 46
Hi All,

It has for a long time since I could not post due to the busy times for work and international travel. Anyway, when I could find some time I built the baby below which has ADAU1466 DSP and 4 PCM5122 DACs configured as hardware mode (allowing to place PCM5102 DACs). It has, one analogue input driven by CS5341 and the remaining serial inputs are ready to use for different sources such as Linkplay A31, RPi Zero 2W (Volumio or other media play OSs), BT modules etc. The board itself has SH1106 LCD which can be swapped with a TFT LCD. There is also an ESP32 for IR-remote and some other controls. Hence this can behave as a core for my multi-channel home audio amplifier (Based on TPA3255, Sure BDM9 boards). I have a Sure ICP5 programmer which can read/write the 1466 DSP over I2C whilst the SPI-connected 25LC1024 E2Eprom never could be written over the DSP master ports. I could run the write through the DSP function, but when I read the E2Eprom, it is empty. The 25LC1024 is a replacement/equivalent to the 25AA1024 used in the ADAU1466 Eval board. Is there anyone that has an idea about the problem?

Best wishes,

Attachments

• Schematic_Sound-Processor-ADAU1466GPIO_2024-02-22.pdf
    449.9 KB · Views: 33
  • E2Epromhexfile to screen.jpg
    E2Epromhexfile to screen.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 50
  • E2Eprom(read).jpg
    E2Eprom(read).jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 44
  • USBi.jpg
    USBi.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 49
  • My ADAU1466 back.jpg
    My ADAU1466 back.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 52
  • My ADAU1466 2024-02-21.jpg
    My ADAU1466 2024-02-21.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Hi Frobek,
Of course yes! See below. The SPI address for E2Eprom does not matter. I tried almost every possible address.
Ps. In the first photo on my previous post, the USBi shows an SPI connection to DSP but, it is IIC as in the photo below. Btw. I could not quote your reply, sorry.

Attachments

• USBi(E2Epromwritewindow).jpg
    USBi(E2Epromwritewindow).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi,
After working several hours, I could connect my ICP5 programmer in SPI mode communication to my board and write the E2prom. However, it still does not do the job correctly. For the enthusiast, the SPI configuration of ICP5 programmer is as follows; CLACTH=Chip Select(Slave Select)/CDATA=MOSI/COUT=MISO/ CCLK=SCK /Vin=3.3V/GND=GND. This should also work for cheaper CY7C68013A boards. That's all.
If anyone can help with the hardware configuration to properly read/write the interfaces (some GPIO values), i.e., storing them in the E2prom, it would be appreciated.
Best wishes,

1709145748190.png

Hi All,
Finally, I could reach a result. I asked the ADI experts on the Engineering Zone and they returned very quickly ( https://ez.analog.com/dsp/sigmadsp/f/q-a/579720/e2prom-read-write-selfboot-problem/520480). The thing is; you cannot read the E2Prom to the screen on the ADAU14XX family. Since the values that I see on my screen something probably coming from the flash of ESP32 which was not energised. Anyway, my program, board, ASRCs, Analog inputs etc work flawlessly except for the heating DVDD deriving transistor (Q1) in the first instance (ADAU1466 DSP was resetting every few seconds when Q1 was hot). Then I was able to keep it away from the PCB by using a TO92L 3A transistor. So, everything is fine and I loved the sound coming from even small unbranded bookshelf speakers.
All my best wishes,

Thanks for letting us know that the WinE2PromLoader doesn't work on the ADAU14XX family. I have a slightly different problem on my NVArcher DSP board. I can "Write Latest Compilation through DSP" successfully and the program works when in Self Boot mode. However, the "Check Last compilation through DSP" always fails. The very first byte comparison fails with a expected value of AA and a read value of 0. The eeprom device on this board is the HGSemi HG25Q80 8 MBit flash. It seems strange that the DSP can write and then read on Self Boot, but fail on the "Check Last compilation through DSP".

Can anyone here with the NVArcher board successfully "Check Last compilation through DSP"?

Thanks for letting us know that the WinE2PromLoader doesn't work on the ADAU14XX family. I have a slightly different problem on my NVArcher DSP board. I can "Write Latest Compilation through DSP" successfully and the program works when in Self Boot mode. However, the "Check Last compilation through DSP" always fails. The very first byte comparison fails with a expected value of AA and a read value of 0. The eeprom device on this board is the HGSemi HG25Q80 8 MBit flash. It seems strange that the DSP can write and then read on Self Boot, but fail on the "Check Last compilation through DSP".

Can anyone here with the NVArcher board successfully "Check Last compilation through DSP"?
Hi,
Did you check it in programming mode (i.e. not in the self boot mode)?
BW

Yes, first thing I verified. Just to make sure, I verified the NVArcher selfboot/program jumper connections against a schematic someone posted in this thread (attached, I added the jumper pin numbers).

I guess it's really a moot point. In Selfboot the DSP verifies the 1st byte is AA and verifies the EEPROM checksum after loading. If either check fails it will retry two more times. It stops if all that fails. So if the write failed Selfboot will abort. But I liked the capability to check anyway.

NVArcher ADAU1452 Selfboot Jumper Schematic.jpg