• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Lovoltech LU1014 Power Jfet Group Buy

The attached F3 schematic indicates that the bias conditions are Vds 2.4v and Ids 1.5A. I plan to perform a Vgs-Id curve at Vds=2.4V. I can obtain transconductance and Rds while performing the sweep. The measured parameters will be Vgs, Vpinch, Rds and transconductance at Vds=2.4V and Ids=1.5A.

We shall see what the population distribution looks like after some numbers of devices are finished characterization.

My suggestion is for the group buy to acquire 200pcs to 300pcs from Mr. Pass which should yield 100 to 150 matched pairs. If any are left over, we can send them back to Mr. Pass or send them to the DIY store.

For those who want to play at home, you can buy the LU1014 from an eBay seller and I will enumerate how to do the matching at home. If you want to know which eBay seller, just send me a private message.

This will not happen overnight. It will be a process to do the matching and refine the procedure for mass consumption.

Attachments

• F3_schematic.jpg
    F3_schematic.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We want the PCB to be flat and smooth on the bottom for good heat transfer to the heatsink. So through hole is not possible if we want it smooth on the bottom. Note that the metal PCB is conductive and holes and vias in general, are to be made conductive to the substrate. Most IMS PCBs are strictly SMT. The soldering of the 3-pin header should not be hard using paste and a hot plate. Once it melts use a tweezer to nudge it around to align with the pads. Then cool it to lock in place. The pads have solder mask and are well defined.

The IMS board is between 1.6mm and 2mm thick. The SMT header is a standard part - you can look it up with the part number. JPS64 might have the part number handy.

The dimensioned drawing is in the manufacturing zip file I believe.

The pin headers use 1.14mm square pins spaced 0.200in apart.

Last edited:
We want the PCB to be flat and smooth on the bottom for good heat transfer to the heatsink. So through hole is not possible if we want it smooth on the bottom. Note that the metal PCB is conductive and holes and vias in general, are to be made conductive to the substrate. Most IMS PCBs are strictly SMT. The soldering of the 3-pin header should not be hard using paste and a hot plate. Once it melts use a tweezer to nudge it around to align with the pads. Then cool it to lock in place. The pads have solder mask and are well defined.

The IMS board is between 1.6mm and 2mm thick. The SMT header is a standard part - you can look it up with the part number. JPS64 might have the part number handy.

The dimensioned drawing is in the manufacturing zip file I believe.

The pin headers use 1.14mm square pins spaced 0.200in apart.

Excellent info. Thank you. How about a soldering jig for holding the header pins in place while soldering?

Well, materials bonded with H20E (assuming you consider their CTE´s) survive thermal shock- htol- htb- and other tests just fine, otherwise who would use such an epoxy.
Read publications abot the subject if you´re interested but don´t post singular values out of datasheet or wherever if you don´t know what they mean or if they are even remotely relevant. Obviously you lack the experience working with such polymers and are certainly not part of the semiconductor-industry.

I appreciate your experience, but in my real job I manage a world class mechanical property testing lab. My personal experience with H20E is that it becomes extremely brittle at room temperature after a small number of thermal cycles within it's datasheet operating temperature.

Worth noting: I love my F3.

It's the best amplifier I've ever built and I keep coming back to it. I found a nice sweet spot in the set-up with just enough feedback, and it just sings.

The power supply has gotten noisy now, and I'm a bit upset with myself that I re-used some old EI transformers that have developed a ton of mechanical hum that is now coming out of the speakers.

I am getting started creating the setup for matching devices. Attached are family of curves and transconductance measurements for one of the devices in my personal stash. I had to resort to 6-wire connection to make the D-S measurement 4-wire Kelvin.

I can see that I need to measure beyond 1.5A which will cause a re-stacking of instruments and recabling.

Attachments

• LU1014_Vgs_115_095_Family.jpg
    LU1014_Vgs_115_095_Family.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 644
  • LU1014_gain.jpg
    LU1014_gain.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 644
I appreciate your experience, but in my real job I manage a world class mechanical property testing lab. My personal experience with H20E is that it becomes extremely brittle at room temperature after a small number of thermal cycles within it's datasheet operating temperature.
Excuse me if I stepped on your toes. It didn´t sound as you have experience in the field.
And thanks a lot for your view. It´s very intriguing to me as I dare say that "half of our company is built on H20E" and that epoxy has seen many qualification tests over the years.
No sign of brittleness at all. Only problem we sometimes have is silver migration but only under extreme enviromental circumstances.

And sure nowadays, there is a much bigger choice in epoxys. Especially when it comes to thermal resistance. At the time H20E was the best compromise for us, AFAIK priority was electrical conductivity.

Hi, how do I register and pay for a pair of fets?
Do you know roughly when they'll be available?
Will you be offering world wide shipping?

Thanks in advance!

The GB sign up sheet should go live next week, on this thread.

The same posting will have details on cost. Payment will be through Paypal.

I'm guessing it will take a few weeks to match and ship the Power Jfets. Carsten will handle distribution to the EU. I'll handle shipping to the Americas and rest of the world.