LM3886 Thermal Experiment (with data)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
.............Every peace of heat sink is characterized with units of degrees Celsius per watt °C/W or K/W (it is the same from our point of view) for thermal resistance............ …
No.
ºC and K are temperatures referenced to their "zero".

Heatsink thermal resistance (Rth s-a) has units of C/W; the rise in centigrade degrees for each Watt of input power.

for example 1°C/W
does not compute.
1ºC is the temperature that is one centigrade degree above the 0ºC reference.
adding "/W" after a temperature does not make any physical sense.

This is the correct use of temperature
for example worst case around 50°C for ambient temperature.
You are referring to a temperature inside the box.

Last edited:
Last edited:
rate of heat flow, rather than "how fast".

Rth tells us the resistance.
Just like volts, ohms and amps V=IR, we have temperature difference (equivalent to volts) Thermal resistance (Rth is equivalent to ohms) and heat flow in Watts (equivalent to amps), where deltaT = WRth
If you have 4W as the rate of heat flow and 3C/W as the thermal resistance, you can compute the unknown deltaT = 4W * 3C/W = 12Centigrade degrees.
Note I have not typed 12ºC for the deltaT.
DeltaT is a temperature difference. We do not use º for a temperature difference, DeltaT is just C, or C degrees, or Centigrade degrees

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
is heatsink resistance how fast heatsink can get rid of heat from one point to air, simply speaking?

Heatsink resistance is analogous with electrical resistance: it defines a specific heat flow through the heat sink resulting from the temperature difference between the point where the heat is generated and the ambient temperature.

Like an electrical resistance, where it specifies a certain electrical current through it as a result of a voltage difference between its ends.

In both cases you need to know the 'output impedance' of the source to know how much the source voltage or source temperature drops when the load from the resistor or heatsink is attached.

Jan

..........now serious, would single supply operation give higher intermodulation distortion becouse of cap at out??..........
Probably not.
AC coupling is often used where there is a voltage difference between stages/modules.
We can get very good performance with Direct Current coupling and with Alternating Current coupling. The difference between the two is that DC is blocked by the AC coupling method, i.e. the DC voltage on one side does not transfer to the DC voltage on the other side.

As is often the case with Wiki, they have got some of the units wrong.

Celsius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Wiki...
"Other languages, and various publishing houses, may follow different typographical rules."

The Finnish standard "SFS" follows what has been written in the links I provided and must therefore also be "wrong". The SFS was written before the age of Wiki.
I do not know the DIN standard.
I do not know the EU standard.
And I definitely do not know the Imperial Standard.

Thanks for that link.
It shows in the table that Kelvin temperature is K alone and not preceded with a °
Whereas Fahrenheit and Celcius/Centrigrade always have the ° as in -40°C or 213°F

the following extract also draws attention to avoiding ambiguity when describing temperature interval (or differences as I have referred to them) from actual temperature/s
Temperatures and intervals

The degree Celsius is a special name for the kelvin for use in expressing Celsius temperatures.[25] The degree Celsius is also subject to the same rules as the kelvin with regard to the use of its unit name and symbol. Thus, besides expressing specific temperatures along its scale (e.g. "Gallium melts at 29.7646 °C" and "The temperature outside is 23 degrees Celsius"), the degree Celsius is also suitable for expressing temperature intervals: differences between temperatures or their uncertainties (e.g. "The output of the heat exchanger is hotter by 40 degrees Celsius", and "Our standard uncertainty is ±3 °C").[26] Because of this dual usage, one must not rely upon the unit name or its symbol to denote that a quantity is a temperature interval; it must be unambiguous through context or explicit statement that the quantity is an interval.[27] This is sometimes solved by using the symbol °C (pronounced "degrees Celsius") for a temperature, and C° (pronounced "Celsius degrees") for a temperature interval, although this usage is non-standard.[28]

What is often confusing about the Celsius measurement is that it follows an interval system but not a ratio system; that it follows a relative scale not an absolute scale. This is put simply by illustrating that while 10 °C and 20 °C have the same interval difference as 20 °C and 30 °C the temperature 20 °C is not twice the air heat energy as 10 °C. As this example shows, degrees Celsius is a useful interval measurement but does not possess the characteristics of ratio measures like weight or distance.[29]
They suggest that the ambiguity is solved by reversing the degrees C to become C degrees. This is what I was taught in school and repeated at University.

Temperature difference and temperature are not the same and the structure/context must clear the risk of ambiguity.
"C degrees" although the Wiki Author claims as being non standard is a convenient way to write and speak temperature difference.

I wonder what the reference [28] has to say on it.
H.D. Young, R.A. Freedman (2008). University Physics with Modern Physics (12th ed.). Addison Wesley. p. 573

Last edited:
Here is one very efficient method to improve thermal conductivity of IC to heat sink :)

Those metal parts are used in one very unique Macola's High-End AMP design build with 4 x bridged/parallel LM3886 per channel (or 6x, I forget, was long time ago) … There is no schematic for that AMP currently …

Phillips and Motorola used similar heatsink for drivers. I dont know if still are .
mOIydLRZNnGeSJt4t8QYdUQ.jpg

rate of heat flow, rather than "how fast".

Rth tells us the resistance.
Just like volts, ohms and amps V=IR, we have temperature difference (equivalent to volts) Thermal resistance (Rth is equivalent to ohms) and heat flow in Watts (equivalent to amps), where deltaT = WRth
If you have 4W as the rate of heat flow and 3C/W as the thermal resistance, you can compute the unknown deltaT = 4W * 3C/W = 12Centigrade degrees.
Note I have not typed 12ºC for the deltaT.
DeltaT is a temperature difference. We do not use º for a temperature difference, DeltaT is just C, or C degrees, or Centigrade degrees

so deltaT is just number(and cant be negative)(something like when you bet on same game but in different country so you win 7.5pounds in england but 10bucks in us) dependent on what unit is used in calculation before? where watts would be same everywhere.smaller resistance >faster heat flow but measured in some sort of coefficient?

The thermal resistance of a block of material in inch units is:

Rth (degrees C per watt) = thickness / (area times K)

K values (roughly)

copper 10. <==this is what the chip is soldered to
aluminum 5.
Beo 5.
alumina .89
thermal epoxy .06 <==this is above and below the chip and copper
mica .015 <==this is an insulator

The delta T of a block of material will be the Rth times the power dissipated.

jn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.