Lack of Bass - Dallas II Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Isn't keeping the wire as short as possible more advantageous than the negative impact of a couple of extra connections? There is also the potential issue of a thin single core wire being fragile.

It is advantageous if your objective is minimal series resistance. That is not automatically the case if it isn't.

Yes, Dave has already mentioned the fragility of thin gauge wire. Assuming you are not sticking it in an area with constant traffic where mechanical stress is more likely, this should not be a problem.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Are you saying you've got LF if you stick your head in the horn terminus, but it disappears when you move further back into the room?

If so, that's starting to sound like a potential room & positioning issue.
Perhaps, then it is a variety of problems, how should I position the speakers?

The room is unfortunately small, and that can not be remedied.

Regards,

Granted the increase in inductance and capacitance will probably have little effect, wires also act as antennas and EMI could increase with increasing length.

I've only ever encountered speaker level connections (which generally tend to be quite short) having an issue with RFI once. Capacitance & inductance of course heavily depend on geometry, so if the wire is running in a conventional shotgun / figure-8 configuration, neither should become an issue. Unless of course you deliberately space the legs significantly apart (assuming there is no issue with RF pickup given that it can increase the potential slightly) in order to increase loop inductance slightly.

Place the horns about 18" distance to the back wall and same distance from the two side walls. This should increase the overall sound level including bass. Add 2ohm 5 watt ceramic resisters in series to the speaker cables and see if there is a increase in bass. If it increases then add another resistor and tell us what happens.
DIY

Tap lightly on the side of the speaker cone of the 206e with the tip of your finger. Be gentle. Dont touch the viser cone.
If you hear bass rich sound coming out of the mouth nothing wrong with the box. If no sound comes out of the mouth the horn is leaking from speaker mounting, cable holes or other construction defects and errors.

One more thing. Does your speaker start screaming when you increase the volume level to mid to high and listen for about 15 to 20 minutes at this level ? Do you want to reduce the level because the mid range shout becomes painfull ?
If that does not hapen and you can still enjoy listening for
30 minutes then nothing wrong in your system.
Because the 206e is famous for its mid range shout.
Only a horn can correct it.
This is because the bass from the horn increases to the same level as the high mid and the music is balanced and you call it high volume. A BSC network can kill some of the mid along with valuable music and make the 206e tolarable.
If any of the things I mentioned does not happen and if you still cannot get a suitable clue to the lack of bass, then some thing wrong with your music source including the amplifier.

Have you modified the Dallas II plans in any way? Have you used 18mm plywood as prescribed? I do have the same, built exactly as prescribed in the plans, and I'm very satisfied with the output. Some years ago I have even posted here some measurement curves of these speakers, that show reasonable bass. Install Moode audio in your RPi, and play with the equaliser setup, you'll soon notice these speakers are quite capable of outputting bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.