• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT88 SE Complete Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was suppose to find out about the transformers on Friday but I did not. I keep you posted.

I have to repost the parts photo because I left out the 4 Elna Silmic II cathode bypass capacitors.

Attachments

• P1000294.JPG
    P1000294.JPG
    643.4 KB · Views: 1,480
me too....

interested in one with vol. control. One add-on may make it a great seller - if you let me assembly it under your supervision (i am novice in electonics, so will have questions common to guys willing to diy an amp and not sure if they can handle the task) and record it to the dvd and add to instruction . That's just an idea - I know how it feels when you read the instruction and wish to see samebody doing it to understand what certain stage of work means. Anyway - sign me in for a kit withouth tubes and chasis (the last depending of price - if its gonna be 50-60$ than I would order the chasis too, if double that - I will make my own).Adam

Rear inputs, LED bias

Rear inputs - Yes ! LED bias - Yes X 3 !Phono imput seems to be great option if you can offer it - at least as add-on.Try to make tube rolling as wide as possible in that type of amp - that would make it a long time investment.From estetic point of view - tubes look best moved to the front, so I hope that design will win.Two options for parts (cheaper and step up one) seems to be right choice - would make an amp most universal option for different type of music hearers.That's my few cents - let's get consensus and design great sounding amp.

Partial Build

Here is a photo of the current build and I am documenting as I go. With this initial build I will be using the Edcor XPWR010-120/240, Edcor CXC125-10H-200mA choke and GXSE15-6-5K output transformers. I am still waiting on the custom iron and the chassis. When I complete this build I will be able to provide the basic parts kit with assembly and layout manual, less chassis, transformers, and tubes. I was able to get the price down to $299.00 instead of $319.00. I should be complete with this in 2 -3 weeks, so if you want to fabricate your own chassis and provide your own transformers and tubes this would do it for now. If you would like to have the tubes included, the price is $389.00.

Attachments

• P1000391A.JPG
    P1000391A.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 1,250
Hi Gregor,

The 91dB speakers will be fine.

90dB is probably about the minimum sensitivity you would want for this amp.

This amplifier will produce a bit more than 5 watts in triode mode and around 10 watts in ultralinear mode, based on typical 8 ohm speakers.

The "typical" listening level for music, in an "typical" listening environment is around 80 - 85 dB. Looking at the chart below, you can see that in triode mode, 91dB speakers should be able to produce around a 98dB listening level.

1 watt = 0 dB of gain
2 watts = 3 dB of gain
4 watts = 6 dB of gain
5 watts = 7 dB of gain
8 watts = 9 dB of gain
10 watts = 10 dB of gain
20 watts = 13 dB of gain

I have a pair of 89dB speakers that I have connected to the amp, and while your definitely not going to fill a concert hall, they do great in an average size room. The speakers I am using now are a 98dB system that I designed, and they are currently set up in a 25 ft. X 45 ft. room. Let me tell you, they can blow the doors off the place!

Scott

Hi Scott,
I just ran into this thread on the search for my first DIY amp...:D
At the moment I have 91dB speakers.....
Do you think this is enough for this amp?!
If Yes...... I would be very intrested in a 240V version.

Regards

Gregor

Sounds great!!!

A complete kit with chassis, transformers and tubes would be nice!!!
If not .....a chassis can I build by myself but which transformers to buy... someone has to help me.

If the amp is running with EL34 too .... what about 6550 tubes or EL156??
Possibly just a question of mod or completely diffrnet circuit?!

Regards

Gregor

The amp will run the EL34 & 6550 with no changes. I'll have to check further on the EL156 unless someone wants to chime in.

Sounds great!!!

A complete kit with chassis, transformers and tubes would be nice!!!
If not .....a chassis can I build by myself but which transformers to buy... someone has to help me.

If the amp is running with EL34 too .... what about 6550 tubes or EL156??
Possibly just a question of mod or completely diffrnet circuit?!

Regards

Gregor

The output is 6 ohm and will drive either 4 or 8 ohm speakers.

90dB is at the low end of the recommended sensitivity, but like I said in a previous post, I have run 89dB speakers on this and there was plenty of output there for me.

Hi Scott,

My speakers are about 90 dB sensitivity and 4ohm impedance. Minimum impedance (peak) 3.2 ohm. Wooofer Double 6.5 " parallel.

My speaker volume is moderate. Room of 12 square meters.

This amp is good?

Hi folks,

I have started receiving the parts for the amp. The chassis and transformers are being manufactured now. It won't be long, maybe 2 - 3 weeks, before I will be able to offer for sale the basic parts kits, without transformers & chassis. It looks like the chassis and transformers are going to be just after the first of the year. I need to package everything up and complete the manual.

I should be complete on the initial build using the Edcor transformers next week, which will allow me to complete the first edition of the manual.

Here are the specs on the custom lay-down transformers:

Power Transformer:
Primary: 120/240, 50/60Hz
Secondary 1: 375-0-375, 200mA
Secondary 2: 6.3-0-6.3, 5A
Secondary 3: 5-0-5, 3.5A
All secondaries center-tapped as indicated.

Filter Choke: 10H, 200mA, 500V

Audio Output Transformer:
500V-5Kohm-120mA primary, 6 ohm output, SE gap, 40% tap, 25 watt
20Hz - 20KHz, flat frequency response across band

Thanks for your support,

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.