Krell KSA 50 PCB

lgreen,

Your power outlet should have at least two slots, one narrower than the other. If it was properly installed, the narrower slot is the “HOT” wire, that is, the phase carrier.
If you are using a three-prong IEC male connector attached to the amplifier case, the phase carrier is marked with the letter L next to one of the solder/spade terminals.

Attachments

• iec_male.gif
    iec_male.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 428
Re: resistor wattage

googler said:
How flexible is the wattage on these
R122, R123 100R, 0.6W
R125 820R, 0.6W

You may even question how flexible the 0.5 watters are.
The maximum load on many of the resistors in the circuit is far less than 0.25 watt.
Mark posted many posts ago that his are running fine on 0.25 watt metalfilms.
Put a few volts on the input and see how low the currents in the front end resistors are.

It only took a few minutes to put together the list of Vishay/Dale resistors. If I know what type of capacitors everyone liked it wouldn't take very long to put together a complete list from Mouser. I'm not sure if Mouser is more or less expensive than say, Digikey, but it looks like they carry all/most of the parts.

I don't think folks want all of the jacks, wire and other misc. hardware included in the GB do they?

Blessings, Terry

Terry,

When buying from Digikey I favor Panasonic capacitors, and from Mouser I get Nichicon. In both cases I always try to get the 105° types.
As for the connectors and wire, in my opinion they should be dealt with in separate. That is an area that always generates a lot of controversy. I think it may be more difficult to reach consensus than with the components only.

googler said:
http://www.surplussales.com/Resistors/Res-MetalFilm.html looks like the cheapest. Anyone done business with them before?

I've bought hundreds of dollars worth of resistors and parts from surplus sales. They always deliver what they advertise.. The only problem is that they sometimes are sold out of devices and it's not listed on their inventory page (such as the 10k vishay S102 resistors, that have been sold out for 2+ years, but they still have them listed).

Anyhow, I highly recommend them.. You may wind up with some different vendors for the parts, but the parts quality is excellent!

One thing for sure... I hate connectors! Especially the green Phoenix type. Alot of conema equipment uses them and they are more trouble that I can say in a simple sentence.

Surplus sales prices are ALWAYS way high. At least twice what other surplus houses charge. I've been there once and was completely turned off by the prices and left empty handed.

The local surplus house sells 1% 1/4 watt metal films for 6 cents each in 100 lot quantity.

Mark

BOM specifies 1/2 watt so I would like to keep it at 1/2 watt.

I want Dales due to their industry wide acceptance and as the minimum standard for high end components.

I am still interested in doing a kits GB but it will only be PCB parts not wire or connectors.

I can order parts from up to 3 places. If one place will match the price on all the parts from the other places, I can do one order. If not, then up to three orders.

May I ask one person to get Part #s for the resistors, one person to get part #'s for the caps, and one to do the diodes and semi's?

Once we get the part #'s for the devices I can then work with the parts houses to get the best price.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Troy,

Here are the diodes and semis, based on Al's BOM:

Q102, Q104, Q105 MPSA92 On Semi MPSA92RLRAOSCT-ND
Q101, Q103, Q106 MPSA42 On Semi MPSA42RLRAOSCT-ND
Q107, Q110 MJE15033 On Semi MJE15033OS-ND
Q108, Q109, Q111 MJE15032 On Semi MJE15032OS-ND

D109, D110 1N4148 Fairchild 1N4148FS-ND
ZD101, ZD102 27V Zener, 3W On Semi 1SMB5935BT3OSCT-ND

These are digikey numbers.

Dennis

So far I have not seen any problems with the MPSA series, but I still have to do those distortion and spectrum tests too. Even though these amps might perform better with the JAp devices it is probably a good thing to include the MPSA stuff in the kit as it will make things less confusing as the board is layed out for these devices. One can use the JAP devices in there but you must bend the leads in a rather strange way to get them to fit.

Mark

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
So far I have not seen any problems with the MPSA series, but I still have to do those distortion and spectrum tests too. Even though these amps might perform better with the JAp devices it is probably a good thing to include the MPSA stuff in the kit as it will make things less confusing as the board is layed out for these devices. One can use the JAP devices in there but you must bend the leads in a rather strange way to get them to fit.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Do you have a source for the Japanese transistors? Neither
Digikey nor Mouser seem to carry the 2SC2440 and 2SA970
devices.

Thanks,
Dennis