Krell KSA 100mkII Clone

Now as a happy owner of 2 working amps and 8 more boards (thanks Paul!), 7 of which have already half of the components installed I have a question:
What is better for this design:
1) for the VAS stage: 2SA1837/2SC4793 vs MJE15034/MJE15035
2) for the driver stage: 2SA1837/2SC4793 vs MJE15034/MJE15035
2SA1837/2SC4793 looks to me just like wimpier but faster transistor than MJE15034/MJE15035. Do they have any advantages in the KSA100MKII VAS or/and driver?

Last edited:
Yes, I did. May be I missed the VAS part. Do you mean totally irrelevant post #39 in particuar? I personally would just type 2 part numbers with a slash in between, but well, I guess it is big secret.

Sorry, Andrew, I forgot that you are more in building of generators, not amplifiers, so may be just wrong person to ask :D

obsolete parts replacement or totally irrelevant?

From post39
As for parts the only obsolete items are VN0210N5 and VP0210N5 devices. These drvices are only drwaing 3 mils so they an be replaced with Zetex ZVP3310 and ZVN3310 as JWB did in his KMA 160 reverse engineered Krell. HE did not even bother to sink them together since they dissipate so little. So that being said all that need be changed are those devices over to the Zetex unless anyone knows of a better device (I had originally thought of IRF9610 and 610 but the Zetex's spec better). All other parts are readily available off the shelf.

What was your question?

Sorry for my sarcasm about your oscillation problems with this project.

The question was about VAS transistors (not the second LTPs) which are 2SC2238/2SA968 originally. They are not available now (well, I have 10 pairs, but need 14). The 2SA1360/2SC3423 you stated you've used seem to work in non-linear Hfe/Ic region if just used in KSA100MKII as is. I'm not sure how big advantage of the low Cob in the cascode with 62pF Cdom value.
So my question was "what are the best transistors for VAS in this design?"

Last edited:
need help :)

Please send me the gerber files of your mkII,including output stage to sylar (at)hotmail.com

Ok... The blue solder masked ones are at least ok looking;) .

Anyway... I am hiding from work today so I can start shipping these out. I think you will all be very impressed with them. Thanks again to PWatts for all his effort in the design and in putting up with all of our silly requests and to all those who participated in the Group Buy.

I expect to see photos of at least 50 finished 100 MK2's's in the next two months:smash: .

Mark

Would love to start one...

I have been in the background here for some time, but when I decided to begin a DIY upgrade to my amps, I became a more avid reader. I had decided to build one of the Krell 50 based kits that are now available from Asia, but after reading through much of the Krell 50 thread, and then discovering this one, I cannot see putting forth the time and effort to build what I know to be a lessor amp.

Unfortunately, this is an older thread, and naturally the GB and build of the Krell 100/2 clone has been and gone. I have looked through the Wiki list and do not see the Wiki for the build info for this amp that was mentioned in one of the early posts, although the Krell 50 Wiki is still active.

If there are any of the 100 boards still available, I would love to be able to get them. However, if not the actual boards, please add me to the list for a copy of the garber files of the board and I will make my own PCB if I have to. Also, if there are files of the final build proceedures, that would be wonderful as well.

I have now read through about a third of this thread, so I don't know if the build info is in the latter posts or not. However, as I have decided that I would like to build this amp, I will be reading the whole thread, but wanted to request the info now, and hopefully get an actual board(s). I would much rather spend my time putting the amp together than putting the PCB making equip together first.

Please send me at least the garber files, and hopefully the build files to my e-mail:
mmherbals@hotmail.com

Thanks, I cannot begin to thank everyone who participated in this thread for how much knowledge they have shared.

Lilith_K

"Life, don't talk to ME about life..." Marvin the Robot, HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy

I am new to this need expert help

I am thinking of getting in on the group buy of this amp, will the parts all be listed so I know where to order them and will there be a list as to where they need to be placed on the board I know there will be schematics, I have been working on car amps for a while now I have scopes, fluke meters, esr meter, sencore lc53 cap analyzer, solder stations and I have access to a machine shop to make a case for the amp, I thought of making a titanium case for it with aluminum heat sinks, there are diamond cutting tools at my friends machine shop as well as cnc machines I just want to make sure I can get it done because I don't have alot of knowledge when it comes to the math required to make a amp from scratch