KarlD's FH XL Alpair 10.3M Copper build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cabs are still at the body shop. Got a text today saying that he's built them with paint and they are now really smooth. Should be finished at the weekend apparently... I'm pretty anxious. As a general rule I find that everything I ever have someone else do for me is done badly. Remains to be seen.

that sucks, but there's no way I could personally not listen to them

I've had my own disappointments - am currently having to completely strip and re-veneer a pair of very big enclosures due to partial delamination of the walnut veneer from backing fleece paper. It's about 3 hrs per box with iron, paint scraper and sander just to prep for new veneer, then about the same amount of time for layout and veneering. Boxes are 49" H x 16"Wx12"D, so that's 3 full sheets of veneer to cover all 5 sides .

Fortunately the original veneer was a "gift", so all it cost me was the labor, and apology received.

I've had a couple of glasses of wine now so I'm calm and am about to wire them up.
I don't know if I should strip them, rip the veneer off and just paint them a solid colour myself, or get rid and build another pair. Or do something completely different. A pair of floor standing trapezoid Mar-Ken10 look appealing.

KarlD,

Must be very frustrating after this looong wait... still, give 'em a listen man, and tell us about them... new pair or repaint can come in due time. Btw, some celebratory drinks might be in order, your lads have really outplayed the Aussies 2 tests running and have a firm grip on that urn!

What specifically is wrong with the finish? Assuming it was sprayed with an automotive finish of some sort, imperfections can be rubbed out. Gloss shows everything.
I'll get some pics up of the finish this weekend.

Used the speakers for about 4 hours last night. Very enjoyable listen. I'll have to have a more serious listening session with a wider variety of music and give me impressions in more detail.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.