KarlD's FH XL Alpair 10.3M Copper build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Karl - we've only ever run these bi-amped, and haven't gotten around to designing a passive crossover . I'd hope if/when that's accomplished that the drivers' very benign behaviour allows for a low parts count network.

It's probably obvious that Dave & I are big fans of the bi-amp approach, but I realize that it's not for everyone.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Er... Wow!
12PW A7P MTM.

I wouldn't want to Bi Amp as that would be massively inconvenient. What is the component count like in the XO?

At this point there is no passive XO. The pair of A12pw are too sensitive unless you need a full 6 dB of bafflestep. Subbing in a A7.3 would make that even more, altho w series woofers a passive XO may be suitable.

With a passive XO i'd 1st look at series with a cap and an inductor (both BIG)

The PLLXO uses 2 small caps and an R per side.

dave

Fair enough - certainly no point in my belabouring the issue
IINM, one of Mark's targets with the recent design of the 12PW and 7P was to make for a very simple XO configuration if the 2 used together is a simple 2-way - but of course, nothing is ever as simple as it could be with those guys at Planet10

Having been thinking about this a lot i think I am going to build myself the big Mar-Ken10.3 floor standers to use my drivers in and then rip the veneer off these FHXLs and re fin them in solid colour.
I would love to do a different design, but my car project is getting seriously expensive now (well, serious enough for my wallet!) and I can't afford another batch of drivers etc - at least not this year.
So - time to start some new cabs!

Hi Karl,
Just been reading about your finishing woes, a real shame considering the beautiful build you did. I've put together (as in bought kits) Frugel Horns with Alpair 7p and XL's with 10p drivers in the last few months and absolutely love them. A friend has a pair of Frugel Horns with the metal cones and guess what, he likes his metals and I prefer my paper drivers!

My finish is nothing like as fastidious as you want, hand painted using a small roller, lots of sanding and coats, but I'm generally happy with them.

Good luck with your next build, Ian

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is there (can there be...) a tall trapezoid Mar-Ken for the 10.3 that's like taller than the one in the planset? Like as tall as the twin? I hate short speakers...

There isn't. The maximum volume for the A10.3 in a miniOnken alignment is 13 litres which limits the size. One could extend the sides of the box to make a floorstander and fill with sand or similar (or use as a volume for suitable helper woofer(s))

dave

Hi Karl,
Just been reading about your finishing woes, a real shame considering the beautiful build you did. I've put together (as in bought kits) Frugel Horns with Alpair 7p and XL's with 10p drivers in the last few months and absolutely love them. A friend has a pair of Frugel Horns with the metal cones and guess what, he likes his metals and I prefer my paper drivers!

My finish is nothing like as fastidious as you want, hand painted using a small roller, lots of sanding and coats, but I'm generally happy with them.

Good luck with your next build, Ian
Thank you for your post.
I absolutely love my FHXL. They sound so good with all the different genres of music that I listen too. Hours of listening at a time never becomes fatiguing. I am enjoying my system so much. The only thing I think I would change on it now is my turntable and phono stage. My digital side is plenty good enough for me to enjoy all my music.

I want to build another pair of cabs so I can run these drives in my system while I re-finish the FHXL cabs. I could use my reflex boxes I made, but that would be a serious step backwards and I'd hate it.

Karl, I have a pair of the version of those for 10P, and while they won't delivery quite the bass extension or sense of space as the FHXL, they very well meet the design goal of compactness.

relative size of the two seen here

Attachments

• 2014-07-22 08.25.12.jpg
    2014-07-22 08.25.12.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 211
Well, I've been so busy with other projects that I haven't done anything about these FHXL yet. They need re-finishing desperately but I can't see it getting done any time soon.

What I have just done though, is added a REL T7 sub to my system and WOW. I mean, the FHXL are by no means bass shy and, depending on the recording, can dish out a staggering amount of very clean bass for such a small driver, but the addition of the sub has really complimented my system and I am extremely happy with what I am hearing. I have found myself listening with the volume a bit lower on the dial now with the bottom end nicely reinforced and extending right down. I also use the system for film and videogaming and again the sub has added some real excitement when things on screen heat up!

I love it. I love these speakers. I never find myself thinking "Oh, that sounds a bit bleh..." or "they'll do". They do. They do very well.

Hi everyone.

Just a quick one. Is there anything that I could do to make the mid a little more prominent with the FHXL 10.3? Is it a case of fiddling with the stuffing below driver? What aspects of the sound does the stuffing have an impact on. I think I put 60g in each??? Cant remember what the recommended range was but I think I went slap bang in the middle.

Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.