John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
>>Have you measured the PIM on your designs<<

Had a customer call yesterday asking me for the PIM on our latest amplifiers, and I think it was totally coincidental.

Gee third only to PMA (distant at least). JC and PMA are recreating much of the BT thread on "another" forum, at least some of the vague and anecdotal aspects.

scott wurcer said:

Gee third only to PMA (distant at least). JC and PMA are recreating much of the BT thread on "another" forum, at least some of the vague and anecdotal aspects.

Do they get similar attention like here?

The last time I saw, there was like a couple of guests near the table start their own theme while others ignore them and continue the theme that had been started before. I don't think that JC and PMA are going to tolerate that, sooner or later they should definitely start making people nervous in order to get attention to what do they promote.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
scott wurcer said:
>>Have you measured the PIM on your designs<<

Had a customer call yesterday asking me for the PIM on our latest amplifiers

Holy ****, that’s funny.
BTW: who cares?

Wavebourn said:

Do they get similar attention like here?

No, I’m sure they’ll be back, as soon as JC is out of the bin.

Juergen Knoop said:
as John sits in the bin and can't write in this thread for some time, I consider any attacks and negative comments on him being not very sportsmanlike.
regards

I agree.

Juergen Knoop said:
as John sits in the bin and can't write in this thread for some time, I consider any attacks and negative comments on him being not very sportsmanlike.
regards

Sure, but since it is not a sport, but rather a DIY forum, I hope they will properly react on feedback they both are getting now.

Some very old and well known wisdom, copied from the page http://swishout.com/nlp-presuppositions.html

The map is not the territory

We are not in a direct contact with the objective reality. Everything that surrounds us is perceived by means of our senses. We create our own representation of reality in our minds – our map which we use to move. We react differently in the same situation because we see it through the prism of our own experiences, values, educational schemes (filters created in order to cope with the huge flow of sensoric information).

The reason why we behave differently is the fact that every single person has his own map.

The reconstruction of our map plays a key role in the solving our problems.

Becoming familiar with another man’s map is a key to understand him.

The effective persuasion requires leading the person to the proper place on his map.

When all you do fail – do something different

The simplicity of this principle is brilliant.

A lot of people try in vain to achieve some goal using the same approach time and time again.

However, if you always do something in the same manner, you will obtain the same often not satisfying results.

NLP focuses on searching for the most effective course of action.

The wide range of options is better that a lack of them

Individuals who are most elastic and are prepared for many different options are most likely to achieve success

NLP main aim is to give you in every situation wide range of options to choose from. Your mind will select the most effective way.
It is impossible not to communicate

The way we behave convey a message to people that surround us.

Words make up only a small part of the communication process. Even when you keep silent, your facial expression and gestures tells a lot about you.

While getting acquaintant with the NLP you will learn how to notice both verbal and non-verbal messages and react to them which dramatically raises the efficiency of our communication. Moreover:

The meaning of your communication is the response you get

In NLP the effective action is the most important issue. We evaluate our efficiency by observing the effects and the reactions of others.

If the message you try to convey brings a reaction opposite to the expected one (it is not very strange as it is directed to a person with a different map of reality) you should do something dissimilar, modify your behaviour so that it could produce positive effect, beneficial to both sides.

The concentration on the recipient, adjusting to his model of world is of key importance in effective communication because:

There are no failures only feedbacks

When your action turns out to be a failure, you have at least two possibilities:

* Admit the failure – it rules out the possibilities of further actions,
* Treat it as valuable feedback information, which convey a message that you have to change your attitude toward the problem because the way you deal with it now is ineffective.

Every behaviour has a positive intention

It is probably the most controversial NLP assumption and many opponents accuse us of using it to justify every, even the most unacceptable behaviour.

However, the justification is beside the point.

It means that if you behave in a certain way there must be a positive purpose, otherwise your mind would not have chosen this course of action. When you do something shabby, boorish, destructive it means that at that moment you have no other (better) resources available to be able to deal with this situation.

Such models of behaviour should be surely changed by creating new, more friendly choices and options.

In order to successfully adapt those new models of behaviour you have to understand and accept that the old, bad ones stemmed from the fact that your mind found a positive intention in them.

direction? obviously, those skilled in-the-art will doubtless know that the negative electrons will want to flow uphill while the heavier positive charged electrons will tend to flow downhill... please don't bother me with such trivial issues? :wiz:

but, I'll stick with the annealing hypothesis for now... and yes auplater, I do run fairly substantial power through my wires for break-in... I find that it "rubberizes" the grain boundaries somewhat... yeah, right. Ooops, that belongs in/on that "audio madhouse" site?

wondering if Trevor is going to grab a handful of jfets, and deadbug a Blowtorch or not? Or perhaps he will start his own thread and show us all his handiwork & design chops? :rolleyes:

_-_-bear

... turkey for dinner?

Trevor White said:

Give us a break mate.:smash: This is a diy forum not a platform to massage ones own ego. For someone who has just started on this forum and doesn't want to troll through every post on this thread just to find a couple of links, surely it's not too much to ask for someone to post a couple of links again for the benefit of new comers

Perhaps your upbringing did not teach you the proper way to "ask" for something?

And, before jumping in with both feet, it behooves a sophisticated participant to do some prior reading - especially in a thread as long running and wide ranging as is this one. Who knows, maybe you would have learned something in the process?? (I have.)

And John Curl is not the only person who has designed audio equipment. You forgot the Japanese who have a legacy of exceptional value for money audio equipment as well as many other esoteric pieces. I just happen to like Japanese audio equipment and as an engineer I admire their persistence in advancing the art with many patents under their belts to prove it. And don't forget the heritage of all good audio semiconductor devices. Most of them originate from Japan even the ones that John Curl uses ;)

No, of course he is not the "only one". However HE is here, (or was until a few days back) and the thread is about HIS Blowtorch preamp. You did happen to pick up on this part?

Also you should refrain from using fallacies. You don't have to have designed something in order to critically evaluate it.

regards
trev

Sorry, which fallacies are they?
Suggest you back that accusation up with something substantial.

As far as a critical evaluation goes, I don't know what you have to do. I can tell you that if you want to critique the engineering & circuit design, you'd have to re-invent the wheel of this thread my friend. I think the details of the design have been dissected down to an amazing level of minutia rarely found anywhere at any time. Really, spend an hour or so and do some reading before saying any more.

(as I said before, you just might actually learn something new)

I'm just going to speculate that where you come from that you are a "big cheese" - and maybe that is warranted, dunno - but at least on this thread you ought to realize (apparently you have not yet) that you are in the company of equals or your betters. At least until you show something substantial it makes sense to tread lightly and be a bit less arrogant in your overall tone? I'll tell you upfront that my skills are subordinate to many of the participants in this thread and on this forum - just so that you know that I'm not puffing out my chest. Actually, I am happy to confirm for all that I am a complete ignoramus. :D

_-_-bear

Re: ... turkey for dinner?

bear said:
I'm just going to speculate that where you come from that you are a "big cheese" - and maybe that is warranted, dunno - but at least on this thread you ought to realize (apparently you have not yet) that you are in the company of equals or your betters. At least until you show something substantial it makes sense to tread lightly and be a bit less arrogant in your overall tone? I'll tell you upfront that my skills are subordinate to many of the participants in this thread and on this forum - just so that you know that I'm not puffing out my chest. Actually, I am happy to confirm for all that I am a complete ignoramus. :D

_-_-bear

Why do you have to personalize it. All you are doing is shooting the messenger.

The question I posed to John Curl regarding PIM is a legitimate one. If John knows something that nobody else does then by all means tell us.

From what I can see he has held a gripe against Rob Cordell for many years, when he could have resolved this issue with his own analysis and presented it to the Audio Engineering Society Journal etc. He didn't want to do that then and he still doesn't want to do it here. What more can I say ?

And by the way do you have any formal qualifications ??

jacco vermeulen said:
Looks more like Gregory Peck as Joey Mengele in Boys from Brazil.

(they've got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil)

Did they ever catch Bormann? The story goes that he was walkin' around Argentina for a very, very long time.....doing some nasty stuff indeed.

As for PIM, I always do my darnedest to get rid of it. Even have a patent(s) that address it as an issue directly with respect to eliminating it in materials, including metals. I mean what I just said, yes.

John got binned again? According to what I just read on it, talking to people about their personality problems is spot on, as that is the heart of the issue, 99.99999% if the time. Binned for being accurate and forthcoming;to clear up the source of issues? Oddly enough, I've never been binned, which comes as a surprise to even me. I've always thought that engineering should require a minimum of two courses in psychology and self awareness before any degree is awarded. To say that 'overall'...engineers can and do suffer from personality development issues would be the understatement of the year.

BTW, Trevor: I have no formal qualifications. :xeye: The lack of them has served -this one- quite well. Results will vary. Ask Faraday - get his thoughts on the subject.

janneman said:

Could you give an example then?
Reason I ask is that I have learned a lot from people like Andy_c, Syn08, Edmond, Bob Cordell, Wavebourn and apologies for the others I forgot. I can't recall having learned similar things from John, but maybe you read better than I do?

Jan Didden

John has been teaching you the highest of the high end: The use of your ears and brain -together (for some -it never happens) in audio design, to further your own attempts and works. It's a subtle but fundamental thing. Where the thought initiates from, and how it travels, how it gets there-the result but specifically the trail....begets the final result.

Subtle like a 75 year old Aikido master of diminutive stature, who can brush aside 350 pound monsters-and look like he's not even moving. He's attempting to teach you some of the audio zen-but I'm afraid that some just don't get it. A shame, as when it comes to the Highest of the High end-that is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

stinius said:

Trevor
Please note, it’s some people here that are discussing with JC that doesn’t agree with him ”all the time”, but all of us have great respect to him and what he has done.
If he has another view than Bob or anybody else, wouldn’t that be ok, or is it only one correct answer? I don’t think so.

Cheers

Well if he does have another viewpoint then why doesn't he explain it ?? Surely it can't be that difficult.

regards
trev

PMA said:
This is a Blowtorch thread, no global FB complementary-differential preamp. I would like to mention that I have just designed and built another non global feedback, complementary-differential preamp. Based on BJTs again, with different output stage - I gave up a diamond buffer and used another push-pull output class A stage, with much higher bias current. Right now it is under listening tests, and seems to be promising. I am moving step-by-step to John Curl and Charles Hansen design philosophy.
This preamp would not be a DIY project.

Always keep in mind that the ear is a transient sensitive and timing sensitive (harmonics, etc) diode like device when reviewing your work.

That one piece of information alone is worth more than any dozen electronics texts.

KBK said:

John has been teaching you the highest of the high end: The use of your ears and brain -together (for some -it never happens) in audio design, to further your own attempts and works. It's a subtle but fundamental thing. Where the thought initiates from, and how it travels, how it gets there-the result but specifically the trail....begets the final result.

Subtle like a 75 year old Aikido master of diminutive stature, who can brush aside 350 pound monsters-and look like he's not even moving. He's attempting to teach you some of the audio zen-but I'm afraid that some just don't get it. A shame, as when it comes to the Highest of the High end-that is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

What about distortion in loudspeakers ? Have the gurus managed to eradicate that ? What is the audio-zen regarding that ?

regards
trev

Status
Not open for further replies.