John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
SY said:

If you had read the thread before asserting this, you might have found that you are mistaken. I haven't taken a count, but at least one person (me) on this thread has seen, touched, and heard the preamp. John and I have some disagreements, but he does NOT make false claims or try to push vaporware. He is a totally honest person.

I never said that it didn't exist and I'm not question his honesty as to what he believes he has achieved with the design. Because of the limited numbers made it is very hard to objectively verify the claims made about it since there are not many around and I don't even believe that anybody on this forum actually owns one or do they ??

regards
trev

Trevor White said:
Has anyone ever seen or heard a Blowtorch preamp ? After all that's what this thread is all about isn't it ? This pre-amp appears to be as rare as the proverbial Holy Grail and is more like a myth than something real.

I think John Curl hides behind the fact that nobody on this forum has ever seen or heard one of these pre-amps so nobody can really question his claims made about it. As well, I don't see John Curl to enthusiastic to post any pictures or actual measurements made on it. Surely he must have some pictures that he can post or does he just want to maintain that mythical air about it ;)

regards
Trev

I too have touched and felt it... heard it too...

In addition I can vouch for the quality of the wire contained within...
not that it matters...

It is rare. So what? The thing being discussed is the design and circuitry... and other matters.

There are pictures of it in the thread. Look??

You can pretty much make one yourself, if you read the thread, dude. Then you can decide if you like it or not. How about that? Or, are you not up to the task of breadboarding a handful of JFETs?

It is a ******* mythic piece of audio esoterica, you will just have to face that fact. Curl has been involved in some very important products that are seminal mileposts in the history of "high-end". You haven't?

How does it sound? Probably doesn't make much sound of its own... or did you want it to make sound of its own?

Cat's away and the trolls come out? Hmmmm...

Bah.

_-_-bear

PS. did Curl or anyone else make a claim about it or its sound? Please cite. (he did cite the actual noise figure...)

bear said:
Thankyou. <bow>

I don't subscribe to the silly idea that there is a direction that my wire or any wire needs to be "broken in" to... fwiw.

As far as any other "break-in" proceedures go, my suspicion is that they likely fall into the category of annealing... although ymmv.

Yes, annealing wise, MMV :rofl: I was about to ask what is the right direction, but nevermind, John will be back and he'll tell us :)

stinius said:

Bear it’s your wires, isn’t it?

Troll? It’s more like a mouse.

BTW: he argued with John in the Otala thread as well, I think some of his posts triggered John.

What did I say that was offensive to John ??

As far as I can recall I just asked John Curl to explain to us what was wrong with Robert Cordell's reasoning and analysis regarding PIM !!

Maybe you can tell us ;)

regards
trev

aay-neel-yng

syn08 said:

Yes, annealing wise, MMV :rofl: I was about to ask what is the right direction, but nevermind, John will be back and he'll tell us :)

Hope you're willing to wait a loonngg time, since annealing rate of metals is an exponential inverse wrt temperature, so at room or somewhat elevated (unless you run a bunch of KW through them) we're probaballistically talking millenia here...:D ;) :smash:

John L.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Trevor White said:

What did I say that was offensive to John ??

As far as I can recall I just asked John Curl to explain to us what was wrong with Robert Cordell's reasoning and analysis regarding PIM !!

Maybe you can tell us ;)

regards
trev

Trevor
Please note, it’s some people here that are discussing with JC that doesn’t agree with him ”all the time”, but all of us have great respect to him and what he has done.
If he has another view than Bob or anybody else, wouldn’t that be ok, or is it only one correct answer? I don’t think so.

BTW: You have been a member for about two weeks, and this was your firs post

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1855073#post1855073

Cheers

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
stinius said:
[snip]If he has another view than Bob or anybody else, wouldn’t that be ok, or is it only one correct answer? I don’t think so.[snip]Cheers

No, there is nothing wrong with that. But in the interest of fairness, you should add that Bob goes out of his way to explain his measurements, and how he sees the generation of those artifacts in engineering terms. OTOH John in his replies generally limits himself to ad hominem attacks on persons or accusing people of being 'after him' or his associates. That IS a different approach and cannot but lead to a different appreciation of the arguments.

Jan Didden

stinius said:

Trevor
Please note, it’s some people here that are discussing with JC that doesn’t agree with him ”all the time”, but all of us have great respect to him and what he has done.
If he has another view than Bob or anybody else, wouldn’t that be ok, or is it only one correct answer? I don’t think so.

Come on, Stinius...
Bob Cordell honestly answered all questions about PIM, while John Curl did not provide any clue why he was disagree, and what he was disagree with, instead he started referring to names and humiliating Bob and others who asked to qualify. I think it would be simpler and safer for him to answer using reasoning, calculations, schematics.

stinius said:

Have you measured the PIM on your designs Wavebourn.

No, I just optimize to have the minimum of audible distortions, on the design stage. What I measure, are regimes, how do they correspond to design values. After measurements of regimes I redesign, or even discard some ideas when some real effects were overseen on the paper.

I did measure a lot 30 years ago learning behaviors of active and passive elements and circuit ideas, designing almost analog synthesizers and guitar effects. It is, like a hunter when goes to the forest a first have to learn a lot of things paying conscious attention on them, but many years after he has developed subconscious feeling of what to expect from flora and fauna in different conditions.

What I design is totally different from the mainstream approach of designing of one more opamp in order to get a new one, or using new and new opamps in order to get this time something totally principally different. My design philosophy is, to find topologies and parts (beasts and forests) that give me desired result; no matter are they tubes, transistors, or ICs. One of my last designs uses all tubes with voltages and currents regulated by SS devides. Another my design uses opamp and discrete elements; similar design uses almost the same discrete elements but a vacuum pentode instead of opamp; the last design uses tubes, but the trick is to use power MOSFETS to get enormously powerful tubes with linearized tube transfer curves (as if smaller part of them is used), like tubes with couple of hundred watts with transconductance of thousands of milliamperes per volt.

However, phase modulations are taken in mind since tubes excibit incomparable less non-linear phase shifts that transistors.

Also, I use specially designed phase modulators in one of my last designs, it is a Waybeyond bass guitar rig. Non-linearities and phase modulations are used there for special effects, so a bass guitar solo in a jazz band sounds similarly to grand piano.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
stinius said:
Jan and Wavebourn

Yes, you are both right, and I have never said that I disagree with Bob.

OTOH: the Otala amp and thread is about TIM not PIM.

BTW: Jan, what is the PIM on the PAX?
Have you measured the PIM on your designs Wavebourn.

No I haven't measured it. It requires some special equipment like Bob has developed. I know roughly how to build it but never got around to do it.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
tomtt said:
and yet, any one thing that John typed,

is worth more than all of your posting on this forum.

thus far.[snip]

Could you give an example then?
Reason I ask is that I have learned a lot from people like Andy_c, Syn08, Edmond, Bob Cordell, Wavebourn and apologies for the others I forgot. I can't recall having learned similar things from John, but maybe you read better than I do?

Jan Didden

Status
Not open for further replies.