John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott, this is a phono stage, with RIAA EQ. This makes the problem significantly worse, because the RIAA curve essentially INTEGRATES the noise curve. You obviously need to get some real measurements under your belt regarding these devices.
Of course, we don't easily hear noise below 100 Hz, but we still have to keep it under reasonable control.

You're right as always, John :

Attachments

• opampforced.png
    opampforced.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 700
As I said before,
I rate component quality/type as the most important part when making an amplifier. Incl PCB material with its laquer and trace metall, wiring, GND schemes, vibration issues, connectors.
My last PCB is made out of ceramics.

Simulation is only a tool to create a design. And a darn good too it is, too. I do not want to be without a simulator. I have done years and years of breadbording and with the simulator, I can get a design working faster on the bench.

I hope I do not give the impression that "bedroom armchair theoretical argueing" is my goal. It is not. My goal is to make designs that sound as good as the Lyra Connosieur amplifiers, ie the creme de la creme, the ne plus ultra amongs amplifiers (and also DACs and loudspeakers).

Sigurd

PMA said:

The answer is IMO easy. Many people just do not care. They are not interested in actual real world results, not interested in listening tests, not interested in direct comparisons. Bedroom armchair theoretical argueing, that is the goal.

We actually gain some performance by having a RIAA network, don't we?

E.g a 10 Ohm resistor has a total noise 20-20k of 57n,
but adding a RIAA curve gives a total noise of 39n (all at 27 deg C).

Sigurd

john curl said:
Scott, this is a phono stage, with RIAA EQ. This makes the problem significantly worse, because the RIAA curve essentially INTEGRATES the noise curve. You obviously need to get some real measurements under your belt regarding these devices.
Of course, we don't easily hear noise below 100 Hz, but we still have to keep it under reasonable control.

Thanks!

I must agree with you that a design that works in the simulator, will need addition of many componentes to get a working amplifier. For ex decoupling, input filters, protection circuitry etc etc. I know all that.

PCB layout is an art in itself.

Manufacturing issues can be overwelming and always creates issues to deal with.

Then one needs to be able to measure the amplifiers' noise performance which is not that easy, either.

Sigurd

john curl said:
Sigrurd, I certainly see you doing good work, but I addressed these problems long ago, without a computer, and I am starting to see oversights in the design process, and excessive reliance on computer models. I am not against computer simulation, I have used it myself for the last 43 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.