John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
john curl said:
It is so surprising that people rely on computer simulation, when it can be done with a calculator, easily enough, or even pencil and paper. Just as it is almost impossible for us to write a short note, without a computer, we are becoming overly dependent on computers, AND their circuit models, rather than utilizing direct measurement and data sheet information.

John,

Most of us experienced engineers these days can walk and chew gum at the same time. We do all kinds of SWAGs in our head and with calculators. But as smart as we think we are, most of us are smart enough to know that our intuition and simplied models in our heads of things can sometimes lead us astray. That's when we augment with simulation.

We don't just simulate to see if something will work, we do experiments in simulation, much more quickly than they could ever be done in the lab. I'll be the first to admit that my intuition has sometimes failed me and I got a surprize when I simulated something.

Most of those of us who do a lot of simulating do not overly depend on it. We have a balanced approach.

Manufacturers models are not always great, and indeed manufacturers' spec sheets are not always accurate or complete. That is no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Simulation in the right hands is good, as long as it is not abused and used to the exclusion of real-world measurements as well.

Suggesting that engineers who simulate don't measure is just as ignorant as suggesting that audio engineers who measure don't listen. As an engineer whom I KNOW measures AND listens, you should know that.

Cheers,
Bob

syn08 said:

Here's a silly answer :D
Nothing good has happened in audio in the last forty years, everything was already done forty years ago.

No, it's not silly. This is what happens when the culmination
of your personal work has been 25 years ago and you were
unable to top it since.
This forces you to deny any other progress made in this time.

regards, Gerhard

Status
Not open for further replies.