John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still wondering why so few here do not have really great audio systems when they can afford it.

THx-RNMarsh

I want to have a (much) better comprehension of some of the workings and interactions of the circuits before spending more, to me this is more an academic hobby, so to speak.

I am also not one to go and buy expensive stuff even if I can afford it, was raised by school teachers that had a purple VW bus...

It is the same with cars; I appreciate fairly high performance, but if I can’t build it for reasonable amounts of money, it’s not happening.

I applaud what you are doing with using your experience and skills, and creating some great products, I suppose that is where I would want to be someday.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is one very interesting flaw in DAC-3, which is limited ability to reproduce low level reverb tails as they were recorded. I noticed the issue when comparing dacs myself, then later found out about a published article that talks about it: Audio Fur and the Border Patrol DAC | Part-Time Audiophile
EDIT: One can quickly get to the DAC-3 reverb tail part by searching the page for DAC3.

I just reviewed a new dac design that sells for $5 in kit form, and which reproduces the tails quite well: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...-rbcd-multibit-dac-design-30.html#post5712455

Interesting stuff. In DAC-3 I think I can show the problem is related to excessive jitter, although its measured jitter is pretty good by most reckoning.

EDIT: Could be Solaris dac is better in the above respect. It has a very low jitter clock.

You don't really seem to have control of the situation... confused? Doubting your own listening skills? Going hyper?

//

Doubting your own listening skills?

Huh?

I am by nature doubting, perhaps a rebound from much younger days of erring more on the side of over-confidence.

As far as my listening skills go, I can't hear above about 8kHz anymore, if that. It's a wonder I can hear as much low level stuff as I do. It is a huge loss from younger days.

If you are referring to the comment about jitter levels, what I meant about DAC-3 is that by commonly accepted standards its jitter measures very well. The problem is that the S-D dac chips are sensitive to audible jitter effects like I described that have not looked for or reported in the literature, at least that I am aware of. If I make a direct claim here about jitter levels needing to be much lower than they typically are, I will get flack about posting measured proof, etc. One has to pick and choose when to push limits (not that I couldn't figure out how to measure something if that's what I wanted to spend my limited time on).

Last edited:
I can only recommend what I have tried in recent times. In that regard, Benchmark DAC-3 and AHB2 power amp are very good. There may be better, of course, but very they measure well and sound good to me. Stereophile rates them A+ recommended, bargain priced, and SOA in terms of measurements.
You have tried Chris's modified EMU 1820m? If not, how can you say he does not have a great system?

You have tried Chris's modified EMU 1820m? If not, how can you say he does not have a great system?

How? I googled and looked at a picture of one. There are some tweaks that could be done to make them better, but not great. Clocks can be replaced, so can opamps, resistors and caps. One can't change the design very drastically though, and you can't get to great from that basic design. My opinion only. Others are quite free to disagree. I will stop on this subject with this post.

How? I googled and looked at a picture of one. There are some tweaks that could be done to make them better, but not great. Clocks can be replaced, so can opamps, resistors and caps. One can't change the design very drastically though, and you can't get to great from that basic design. My opinion only. Others are quite free to disagree. I will stop on this subject with this post.
We are dealing with audio equipment here where sound we hear is the subject. Without hearing it, how can you tell if he has a great system or not? I think you should take that post back.

One of my sources has a PhD in electronic engineering, 45 years experience at least, and designed D-A converters professionally when I first met him in 1972. Later, he made some very good digital audio delay lines, before he diverted to electric cars, where he got at least one important patent. How could he know anything?

I've got >1 patent and the PhD-EE. If someone can bring the experience side, I think we can make this happen quickly. ;)

*My Ph.D doesn't deal a lick with circuits or analog/mixed-mode, which should further give credence to my opinion that DS DACs are great. (if anyone is taking me seriously...)

One of my sources has a PhD in electronic engineering, 45 years experience at least, and designed D-A converters professionally when I first met him in 1972. Later, he made some very good digital audio delay lines, before he diverted to electric cars, where he got at least one important patent. How could he know anything?

So a patent for something in an electric car makes one an expert in delta sigma converters? Hmm, how so?

Jn

Ps. IIRC, I also have a patent. And I figure I work twice as hard as anybody else, so tha would make 80 years experience. So there!!!
When the day is done, at least I can measure an inductor, unlike syn08. Ha!! And my equipment at home doesn't say "error 25". That is, if I actually had any..
Jn

Last edited:
So a patent for something in an electric car makes one an expert in delta sigma converters? Hmm, how so?

Jn

Being an expert in one field doesn't make someone an expert in all fields.

I have met good and bad experts in my time.
I was once asked in a job interview if I had done anything with phase locked loops, I said I had, so they gave me the job !
I quickly found the bloke I was working for while he had a BSc in electrical engineering knew very little about electronics.
I just had City and Guilds at that time in electronics.

The headphones would seem to meet some objective standard for greatness (like we engineers usually seem to be so fond of).
Well, Markw4, I believe you are talking of some particular use we make of headphones: Listen to some fine détails in a mix, ensure a general balance is correct, avoiding room effects, or listening to sounds when we do not want to disturb our environment ? A way to carry easily and everywhere a known reference.

Because, on my opinion, headphones lack of something essential that we have when we listen to music with powerful and good speakers: The physical impact of sound pressure in our bodies that make believe the thing is real *in front* of us.

As far i'm in concern, I was never able to make a good mix with headphones, but I used them every-time to reveal little defects in the ones done with the main studio's speakers. In a way, it is very strange.

Last edited:
Well, Markw4, I believe you are talking of some particular use we make of headphones: Listen to some fine détails in a mix, ensure a general balance is correct, avoiding room effects, or listening to sounds when we do not want to disturb our environment ?

More or less. I meant they are objectively very good headphones as headphones go, nothing more. I agree the mental experience with good speakers in a good room is superior, but that was not at issue.

More or less. I meant they are objectively very good headphones as headphones go, nothing more. I agree the mental experience with good speakers in a good room is superior, but that was not at issue.
I love walking in the country, with my Porta pro plugged in my smartphone and all my favorites records in MP3 inside.(J.C, don't kill me ;-)
or to listen the music in my car stereo system, cruising a full moon night. (Richard, don't kill me ;-)

Last edited:
My colleague probably has several patents, in fact he is doing a patent application right now for his digital solution that EXCLUDES delta-sigma converters. I just know about his one electric motor patent, because he had some professor reveal it when it was supposed to remain confidential. You guys don't hold a candle to him, in his areas of specialty. My associate was one other person who told me that delta-sigma is never completely accurate, there are two others. He, of course, designed successive approximation type converters back in the day. I hired him in 1974, when I needed a better anti-aliasing filter for my 'bucket brigade' delay line and he developed one for me with just an HP calculator. It worked too! It had to work from a 50-80KHz clock, and pass up to 20KHz without significant rolloff. Remember, this was 45 years ago!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.