John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have anything to contribute of significance ?
I and at least one other poster have been trying to explain to you where you've gone wrong with your test.
:up:

was on his ignore list. ;)
I was too. Or at least that's what he said, which shows the credibility level of his words.

:wave2:

Attachments

• IgnoreListExample.jpg
    IgnoreListExample.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 264
I have quite a few tools older than most folks. I got my first new brace and bit in 1958, but have some much older. (1890's) Screwdrivers never die, pick axes went out of favor by 1930, still have one, etc. As I hint I have my father's tools and some of my grandfather's!

For a bit of fun, if you are ever in Nova Scotia, take Route 2 from the Trans Canada toward Great Village, Economy and Parrsboro. A ways past Parrsboro on the way to Advocate, in Port Greville I think, you will see a misplaced lighthouse (no water to be seen except a little brook). Pull in there, there is an Age of Sail Museum with lots of old tools. Not much in the way of big machine tools, but they say they have the world's largest collection of wood planes, and I believe them. They used to launch some pretty big ships in that tiny brook when the tide was in.

All in your imagination. Why? Because you can't quote one post of mine with such statement.
Only 2 pages on 12 of yours.

Can a 'shill' (that is, someone who is in audio business and posts online with his business interest) be trusted to tell the truth about audio system?
No time for fun. He means business.
Your attempt to promote your audio business was visible and what krabapple did was to spell it out publicly.
And your attempt continues.
And the denial continues. Very persistent indeed. Such is the case when money is involved.
But once you consider what kind of business he is in, it's no longer strange. ;)
Who do you mean "we", you and your business associate?
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Anyway, to be very clear I am not in business in any way. Maybe I said something that made people assume otherwise, but it would be a mistaken assumption.
OK, so you are not in now but are you planning on getting into one?
It is to those who sell things. It's thicker the better for them. :$::$:
That's what I was referring to, those who are familiar with doing business (professionals) ...

:wave2::wave2::wave2:
Keep in mind, he is very protective of Richard for some reason. :scratch:
We are members of the same secret society that rules the world.

It was a very painful moment to re-read your posts, not one that does not attack one member or another. None bringing any information, idea, experience, or anything positive and interesting.
The 0 level is always matched in your posts, and , indeed, lot of members are blind of them.

You are now back in my ignore list: You will not find many people to answer you. :wave2:

Attachments

• ignore.jpg
    ignore.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Yes that is interesting.... I am curious to hear more ...

-Richard

For instance, there are all sorts of trade-offs and compromises in, for instance, thru - hole copper plating of circuit boards, mostly due to the non-uniformity of trying to coat the sides of the thru-holes to the same thickness as the lands, due primarily to the unequal distribution of current around defects and features with high aspect ratio. In cross section one gets a dumbbell or dog-bone effect, which is highly undesirable and a stress point, due to changing microstructure.

Different solution chemistries exhibit different "throwing power" which is the ratio between the thinnest and thickest point in the coating. In copper and nickel plating, you can improve throwing power by decreasing the metal concentration in the bath up to a point... maybe 1:2 before other problems crop up

What is usually done in contemporary installations is using proprietary systems that rely on organic levelers and brighteners, which selectively adsorb on high current density (& higher voltage to drive it) peaks and asperities, and get rapidly depleted in low current density areas allowing preferential plating there. This forces a redirection of the primary field by manipulating the diffusion layer to advantage. As they are added at low levels, maintaining the system integrity is challenging in many installations.

Back to this analogy thought process, since current accounts for the quantity of metal deposited ( 1 Faraday = 1 mole of electrons, 6.023* 10^23) , whereas voltage accounts for the type of deposit and its quality descriptors, you want to control the current (current density as much as possible locally) precisely, as that determines how much deposit is laid down. Conversely, in anodizing, it's the voltage - time multi factor variable that controls the quality and quantity of anodic film... current plays a secondary role of supporting the voltage needed per unit area. Lots of variables in both systems to manipulate, and also depends on the preferences of the end user.

I've got some other thoughts on this but my brain hurts 'cause I'm too old... and this post is getting into TLDR territory

Last edited:
My tool rule is that you should be spending more on the material you run through the machine than on the machine. A condition easily met here.

Never had that problem with my former work

By the same token do you spend more on the audio equipment that you do on the music you buy?

Far and away for sure, spend it or give it to Uncle Sam ... but then I'm retired and have a big recorded library

I have quite a few tools older than most folks. I got my first new brace and bit in 1958, but have some much older. (1890's) Screwdrivers never die, pick axes went out of favor by 1930, still have one, etc. As I hint I have my father's tools and some of my grandfather's!

I do too... one of them is my spouse's great grandfathers' hammer... which, after 2 heads and three handles, is still "taking a licking & keeping on ticking"

Last edited:
^It's interesting seeing the analogs to my work, which is electrochemical sensors (the academic world likes to call them something else, but when you get to the muckety-muck, it's electrochemical), and how empirical much of this effort really is. And intuitive. Sadly there's not quite as neat of self-exhausting reactions for electroplating as there are for gas phase processes like ALE and ALD (atomic layer Etching and Depositing, respectively) to truly grow even films over complex geometries.

My tool cost far outpaces my material cost, but I also have a lifetime ahead of me to flip that and may never, given most of my tools are for hobby. More so, I hope to recoup in terms of project cost as I embark into home remodeling work/etc. Building the occasional speaker is a bonus. :)

Whilst the total value of my system is roughtly the same as my annual music spend, how does that work if you have a subscription to a streaming service? The top Qobuz subscription is $300 a year...

Since I restarted I don't think I'm over $1000 yet and have given 100X that to local and other charities in the same time frame. $6000 buys a complete house kit for a family of 4 in South America built by other volunteers.

Though my phono pre is built by me from hand matched unobtainium FET's and must be at least valued at $15,000.

Last edited:
Manual Surface Grinder 6" x 18" Single Phase 110V/220V 2HP | Toolots

A current off shore copy. Note how nothing has changed since the 1930's design!

Bonny great idea, stereo grinders!

I cut my teeth on Jones & Shipman, popular down here, nice grinders. Grinding die blocks / buildup on Blohm HFS12 you have to be pretty careful.
There were holes in the wall / roof where people got a little enthusiastic about cut depth = instant projectile off the magnetic table.

Large surface grinders need a healthy dose of respect.

TCD

Attachments

• Blohm HFS12.jpg
    Blohm HFS12.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 210
Disabled Account
Joined 2012

yep, they are at my disposal if i have a project I want to work on. Like those custom, one-off amps of Damir's for myself. They did drawings for chassis, got them milled and machined. Did pcb and ordered all parts, did assembly and testing. Silk screen. Everything for me. Doesnt mean I, personally, am selling anything.

I am retired. Life is good.

-RNM

Last edited:
Since I restarted I don't think I'm over $1000 yet and have given 100X that to local and other charities in the same time frame. $6000 buys a complete house kit for a family of 4 in South America built by other volunteers.

Though my phono pre is built by me from hand matched unobtainium FET's and must be at least valued at $15,000.

Yes your signature and the unobtanium FETs would actually jack up the retail value (especially given it is literally one of a kind).

Many of us get into this DIY hobby partly out of dissatisfaction with commercially available products, and partly because we think we will save a bit of money. Then we buy tools (they don't count toward cost of the electronics we build), circuit boards, parts... but if you need 3 10K resistors for this project you might as well buy 10, lower unit cost, surely I'll use them next time, etc. Then an enclosure z and a better power supply, and... I built two phono preamps in the last few years. In theory each of them could be built for $100 or less; in reality each cost me well in excess of $200 in parts, never mind my time, and I wouldn't sell either of them for less than $400 (which is probably closer to real cost), but I wouldn't sell them at all anyway. I love the fact that they both are amazingly good (I take no credit for that) but have completely opposite designs. One is MM and uses opamps and is great; the other is MC and uses unobtanium FETs and is great. Sadly I can't afford two phono rigs and my tonearm doesn't have removable headshell, so switching is a very big deal. Maybe at some point I will be able to get a second record player.

So Scott I won't be bidding on your SW signature phono preamp, but I still want to build one someday. Props for the charitable contributions, that is also an area where I will be stepping up my game next year but not to that level (my new employer encourages giving back and will match some contributions). However, I have been dropping a few coins on vinyl in the last few years, so at least even vs electronics purchases (not counting tools).

PS: If I ever do bid on a SW Signature Phono Preamp, I better see a partly melted capacitor or I'll know it's a fake!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.