John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
As far as I'm concerned they can place whatever they choose where the sun does not shine. The street food in Asia is for tourists that's about as clueless a comment as I have ever seen.

BTW the article had nothing to do with health issues. I guess the posh folks don't like to mix with the hoi poloi.

I have been living here off and on for 20 years. I know the government and I know the people. Tourism is big business and the view of the Thai authorities is that street vendors are not the image they want for their up and coming country's image. You should know many if not most countries are run by and for the elites. they pull the strings of the corrupt politicians who do their bidding. Same with Thailand.

But, the regular people depend a lot on street vendors ...when they are off work, they grab some street food and take it back with them to their place. It is the lowest cost food available in the city. Street food is colorful and quaint etc. But as a foreigner without a built up tolerance to certain bacterial strains here in S.E.Asia, you will get sick. Ditto India et al. If you read me carefully, it was only in the tourist areas this is being done.

I dont know what you read. i can only comment as a person who has close friends in Thailand and I have been here a very long time. I read The Bangkok Post here. More accurate and relevant. Same for FM 88.9.

THx-Richard

Last edited:
Off topic, I got notified today on Saturdays machine shop auction, I won two Brown and Sharpe #2 surface grinders for a grand total including auction fees of $140.00. Bad news is they weigh a ton apiece. The lift gate on my truck is only rated for 1,200 pounds, so my guys will probably take things apart to move them. A bit harder than it seems as they will need to take a generator, power cords, lights and a heater to work on them. Fortunately in a dry part of the building.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183292923071...W9GSEqArZlpVEHJXRbvEpaj34HsOi1wxoCGMYQAvD_BwE

Too bad you cant understand what I try to convey in simplest terms.
I dont sell audio gear. Just as JC doesnt sell audio gear.
Why bother ? This guy has only two ideas:
Matched levels DBT, and all audio pros are snake oil sellers.

It is a conspiracy that so many people passionate about hifi have made it their profession. Just as the Apollo 11 mission was a fake produced in a movie studio, manufacturers of audio equipment think only of selling fake equipments by telling lies. Everybody knows that.

Last edited:
How wide a BW? How much gain? How low Z? How low THD? Or do we have to put the figures in for ourselves to define a CMA? Thanks in advance.
It is not about topologies, as i see the things. It is about what we can achieve with each of them.
Each topology has pro and cons.
Like in photography, pixels size, speed, aperture, focus, and sensitivity are the factors that makes a more or less good photo, each one depending on the others, the factors you list have all an influence on the others. And give more or less pleasant results.

For the moment, and because it depend greatly on the speakers we use and our own preferences, I believe nobody but yourself can answer your questions ... for yourself.

We are limited by our technology, electronic devices not linear, fast and silent enough for perfection. So, we have to chose our poison and compromises.
And, because there is no hard wall that define our audibility thresholds, the only way is to do our best.

Last edited:
I have to ask, what do you need two of these for? Or are you starting a pre-WW2 vintage tool museum?

These are used to sharpen some of my tools. Particulary punches and dies. One to keep one to sell. Should end up costing me nothing to own and save a bit on previously having to send out tools for sharpening.

I once had a rush job and the punch I needed for it got too dull to continue using. So I sharpened it by hand. Took about 40% of the life off it. That alone would have paid for the pair!

When my sheet metal tools are sharp they make holes without burrs. Burrs get bigger as they dull. Removing burrs is done by either placing the small parts in a vibrating pot with sharp ceramic bits or grinding bigger pieces.

If the bit gets too dull it may stick in the stock material after punching a hole. The smaller bits will snap off when the material is moved for the next punch. As the machine can do 200 punches per minute and is usually left to run on its' own... Bigger bits just stall the machine. The machine is capable of moving 150 pound sheets around at about 5 feet per second.

Some of us just have way too many tools. This buy completes my set for now.

Oops just realized I don't have a thin open loop belt grinder!

(Audio is a much less expensive hobby. Replacing my sheet metal turret press would be $185,000 last I looked. That of course is without tooling. Used ones go for $5,000. But of course they usually worn out and the main bearings are probably impossible to replace.)

That's my afternoon gone watching videos of sharpening things on a surface grinder. I think your new toy is older than most here, but not all!

I have quite a few tools older than most folks. I got my first new brace and bit in 1958, but have some much older. (1890's) Screwdrivers never die, pick axes went out of favor by 1930, still have one, etc. As I hint I have my father's tools and some of my grandfather's!

I did not bid on the two real monkey wrenches at the auction. I don't think anyone else knew how old they were to be the original design. They put them up as part of a lot of junk. They were getting $25.00 for boxes of junk I wouldn't buy for $1.00!

BTY! These machines selling well used today are still going for more than they cost originally!!!!

Last edited:
somewhat related longer post

When I first read about CC and / or CV audio amplification stages (however you want to label them), my first thoughts were related to decades of spec-ing high current dc / ac power supplies for all the electrochemical facilities I've installed.

Trying to build comprehension of the various points of view by analogy to something I have full comprehension of... specifying, maintaining, and using thousands of constant amperes power supplies @ low voltages (12 V or less) for electroplating chrome e.g., vs. tens of volts at much lower current (AC or DC) for anodizing aluminum, magnesium, titanium, etc., all to provide the driving force for the electrochemistry, and functioning in a very wet, corrosive hostile environment.

What's this got to do with audio? I tend to analyze stuff by disassembling their component parts, figuring out what each purpose is, then consider the ultimate desired goal and proceed accordingly. So a little preamble.

In electroplating current is the critical variable for actually moving metal from anode to cathode (part being made / plated); more specifically current density is the rate limiting step for depositing metal. Lots of independant things affect current density, such as uneven voltage distribution over the surface (sharp points >>> high rate of deposition, deep slots (especially square edged ones) very low to minimal deposition. In fact, there can be an actual reversal of relative polarity in a slot, such that the part being plated dissolves by acting locally as an anode. This has significant implications for thru-hole copper plating on pc boards, for instance. (Thin areas vs. thick areas of non-uniformity). Lots and lots of industry secrets and patents around this problem... pulsed DC, asymmetrical AC wave-forms, etc.

Voltage, on the other hand, primarily determines what reaction(s) actually occur at the interface, so ideally you want uniform voltage across the entire piece driving uniform current to all the nooks and crannies. Very hard to achieve, unless you're plating a sphere. Here I start thinking about extending this comprehension into the imaginary plane of AC power and current vs. voltage control as a source. As the components of DC supplies to control constant currents at these magnitudes are significantly more expensive than those for voltage control, it was (is) hard to justify constant current in a high amp source to meet the ideal goal on a given project, vs. constant voltage (servo driven in either case for really pricey stuff) The Rolls Royce of supplies were digitally controlled with a blended mixed-mode operation, [often called crossover constant current or constant voltage) but difficult to justify due to the costs.

So most plating (other than aerospace high end stuff) is done with rudimentary full or half wave rectification thru big-*** diodes, and multiple 0000 welding cables and smoothing caps out of a huge multi-tap transformer (think welding machines)... and hope for the best learn as you go mentality.

more later if anyone's interested

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
When I first read about CC and / or CV audio amplification stages (however you want to label them), my first thoughts were related to decades of spec-ing high current dc / ac power supplies for all the electrochemical facilities I've installed.

Trying to build comprehension of the various points of view by analogy to something I have full comprehension of... specifying, maintaining, and using thousands of constant amperes power supplies
What's this got to do with audio? I tend to analyze stuff by disassembling their component parts, figuring out what each purpose is, then consider the ultimate desired goal and proceed accordingly. So a little preamble.

So most plating (other than aerospace high end stuff) is done with rudimentary full or half wave rectification thru big-*** diodes, and multiple 0000 welding cables and smoothing caps out of a huge multi-tap transformer (think welding machines)... and hope for the best learn as you go mentality.

more later if anyone's interested

Yes that is interesting.... I am curious to hear more ...

-Richard

Last edited:
Too bad you cant understand what I try to convey in simplest terms.
Too bad you are so determined to cover up your flawed test.
I dont sell audio gear. Just as JC doesnt sell audio gear.
You mean you are not in audio business? :rolleyes:

and all audio pros are snake oil sellers.
manufacturers of audio equipment think only of selling fake equipments by telling lies. Everybody knows that.
All in your imagination. Why? Because you can't quote one post of mine with such statement.

For the moment we are still waiting for clarity from Richard then, or is your post about something else?
Keep in mind, he is very protective of Richard for some reason. :scratch:

No I am not. i am retired.

Yes, I'm sure those 4 EEs and the factory in Thailand are strictly to support your audio hobby.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the...wtorch-preamplifier-iii-3156.html#post6001363

I have 4 EE here plus others. One just finished a streaming DAC.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the...wtorch-preamplifier-iii-3154.html#post6001079

View attachment 800555 Factory tech where samples are made and production bldg.

Status
Not open for further replies.