John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening near clipping (no disagreement please just asking)? My 110W amp had 7A 3AG mains fuses and 5A 3AG on each supply, I usually short all the fuses in my amps anyway, never had a problem I don't like loud music. BTW re: AP next time you see Bruce Hofer say high for me, he always sent his regards via our AP sales rep.

I suspect the 7A fuse has such low normal resistance it is not a worry in a 110 W amplifier. However I find rail fuses a bad idea. One tends to blow guaranteeing DC into the load. Since there is no correction to the output from the rail with the blown fuse, the primary may not fail!

So I am a big fan of properly sized mains fuses and dealing with the effects of the dynamically sagging mains by using adequate filtering or regulation on the input control side and allowing that to keep the output stable even with a bit of mains sag. I don't really expect an audio power amplifier to clip playing recorded music in a proper setup.

Wow do you really not understand something so simple. A miniature fast blow fuse rated for 12.5 volts AC as you referenced is not even close to the types used to fuse the AC power line of an audio amplifier. Try an appropriate data sheet.

313 Series - 3AB_3AG 6_3x32mm Fuses Cartridge Fuses from Fuses - Littelfuse

Next you don't have a clue as to what the current into pretty much any audio amplifier looks like. It doesn't draw any current until the charging voltage from the transformer diode combination voltage exceeds what is stored on the filter capacitors. Very rarely do you see even a 5% sag on those capacitors. A 10 times surge is actually quite low for peak power but not unreasonable at a moderately loud listening level. I and many others have published this data and you are too freaking lazy to even look at what is out there.

The transformer does some some effective internal equivalent resistance, but a transformer would be useless if the efficiency in the power supply was 10%, the amount needed to drop the peak level to the average level!

Pretty obvious to most anyone, a short on the secondary of the transformer, power supply or even output transistors will cause the primary fuse to blow.

Attached is a simple shot showing the current peaking more than 10 times above the average current on a small transformer suitable for a pre-amplifier. Power transformers have much lower effective internal resistance.

Lets see any data you have measured!

Nice prose, and as usual a graph without the slightest indication on how it was determined, what's represented, you know, those little pesky details (BTW, I see 5x peaks only, but then I have no idea what I am looking at).

Ok, I'll give you, higher voltage fuses have a higher resistance, 0.26ohm for 1.25A.

Claiming that a fuse that doesn't blow can drop 12% of an 100W audio power amplifier is utterly nonsense, whatever way you try to dress it up, unless it's one of those pathological designs that you love so much to talk about. 12%, perhaps true for a 100kW electrical welding machine.

Last edited:
Nice prose, and as usual a graph without the slightest indication on how it was determined, what's represented, you know, those little pesky details (BTW, I see 5x peaks only, but then I have no idea what I am looking at).

Ok, I'll give you, higher voltage fuses have a higher resistance, 0.26ohm for 1.25A.

Claiming that a fuse that doesn't blow can drop 12% of an 100W audio power amplifier is utterly nonsense, whatever way you try to dress it up, unless it's one of those pathological designs that you love so much to talk about. 12%, perhaps true for a 100kW electrical welding machine.

Ah the trolling.

What do you think the average current shown is? You could even go back to when that data set was first presented in this thread and read the discussion.

Let me know when you measure an audio power amplifier and the AC line power compression what you get. 1 dB is actually quite good for many commercial products. Many are worse and the well designed high end products better sometimes!

All you have to do is run a sine wave into the amplifier under load and increase the level. Just watch the input output voltage tracking as you approach peak power. Compression of 3dB is not unknown.

Ah the trolling.

What do you think the average current shown is? You could even go back to when that data set was first presented in this thread and read the discussion.

Let me know when you measure an audio power amplifier and the AC line power compression what you get. 1 dB is actually quite good for many commercial products. Many are worse and the well designed high end products better sometimes!

All you have to do is run a sine wave into the amplifier under load and increase the level. Just watch the input output voltage tracking as you approach peak power. Compression of 3dB is not unknown.

Ah, the trolling: deflecting discussion, introducing false targets, etc... sounds familiar.

I'll wait until you explain how a non pathologically designed 100W audio power amplifier can lose 12% of the output power due to the fuse alone. Meantime, this is utterly BS.

Still less than the daily variability of the incoming AC though...

Bill,

Just think when you get a powerful enough sound system, a free light show!

Around here at home the daily deviation is much less. At home the AC power line mains voltage stays within 1/2 volt RMS AC except in the summer. One neighbor on the same distribution transformer doesn't believe in using an effcient air conditioner. I think his current draw must exceed 75 amps at 240 volts! Normal for a house that size might be as high as 20 amps. So the dip hits almost a full volt.

Hi Scott,

What is the logic behind shorting out the AC line fuse, if that is what you do, in reference to your 110W amp?

Thx
Rick
None, why bother? Scenario of blowing mains fuse is usually the amp is farkled anyway so let the smoke settle and fix it. The only fuse short I ever regretted was in a multimeter where the current sense resistor subsequently smoked.

Prime example of twisted assumption...
Good, now you know assumption can be twisted, including your own. Seems that you are not in command of sufficient intelligence to be a mole, but there still is a possibility of acting. If you are not a mole stop creating situations resulting in discomfort of other members, and I do not include those your posts are addressed to. If you are or becoming one, it is just a matter of time for the mods to kick you out.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member

If I'm following you the suggestion is that the line voltage can drop to 84V when the amp is under full load? I think I must be oversimplifying something here. Many newer amps would shut down under those conditions (switching supply undervoltage protection). Are you talking peak or RMS measurement? I find RMS measurement to be very misleading on AC supplying any rectified load. 1-3% THD is common with all the rectified loads today. Most switching supplies and any current amp sold into europe will need power factor correction which should reduce the peak clipping.

If you are talking a difference in gain in the amp as you approach clipping that has been a "feature" for some consumer amps for 30+ years and is intentional.

I have measured high peak currents (150A) on amp turn on but never anything like 10A peak in operation for a realistic domestic amp. The max continuous current for a product connected to a 120V 15A circuit is 12A. If you are drawing 4:1 peak to average the thermal time constant of the fuse will respond to the rms current unless its a fast blow which would already have vaporized.

My biggest concern about tuning fuses is if they are actually safe. Are they UL approved? What is the peak interrupting current? Is there a published curve? Are you prepared to deal with the fire inspectors trying to not pay your insurance claim?

In years past it was accepted to include the output fuse inside the feedback loop. That can make a difference.

Demian, if there is enough concern of fuse resistance, probably it is a good idea to introduce an microprocessor controlled breaker using Hall sensors as current sense, some has 0.65 mΩ series resistance. Can also be combined with an inrush limiter feature.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
None, why bother? Scenario of blowing mains fuse is usually the amp is farkled anyway so let the smoke settle and fix it. The only fuse short I ever regretted was in a multimeter where the current sense resistor subsequently smoked.

Scott, it's obviously a matter of reducing the risk of possible fire initiation.

Are you prepared to deal with the fire inspectors trying to not pay your insurance claim?

Also Rule 3, note 2
diyAudio Rules

George

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Demian, if there is enough concern of fuse resistance, probably it is a good idea to introduce an microprocessor controlled breaker using Hall sensors as current sense, some has 0.65 mΩ series resistance. Can also be combined with an inrush limiter feature.

Is there an approved commercial component that works like this. That would substitute your ordinary glass fuse in an amplifier? It would take more space, but still?

//

Status
Not open for further replies.