John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too recall that the idea was discredited, but that story didn't travel as far, so the original lives on in pop culture.

And technically, "science" hasn't changed but the scientific conclusions have. It's like the old "eggs are good for you, then eggs are bad for you" thing. Scientists learn more, publish something, reporters misunderstand and oversimplify before publishing to the general public, who conclude scientists have changed their minds about something. The shame is the truth isn't that complicated. It doesn't take much digging to discover that egg whites have good protein but the really-good-tasting yolks have bad cholesterol, and it's a tossup whether one counteracts the other to make a whole egg worth eating.

I've eaten hard-boiled egg whites and given the yolks to the cat who loves them.
You are little behind on the egg evaluation. It's back to good again. Yes, including the yolk.
My new listening room. What do you guys think?
What really matters is, does it produce the "brown note"?

Tests revealing something are not popular. Stories are. Audio is a part of pop culture. It is directed by same rules.
That is how it is. Also noted that fantasy and nonsense stories makes more than the ones reporting reality. An excellent amp is very difficult to sell, easier to make money selling a gadget using classified Species 116 technology from Delta Quadrant. (I meant classified as fictional). :D

Lumped with JC...

I am not sure what to think...;)

Jn

Got a tour of CMS here in Geneva, which was even more awesome given they're in a maintenance cycle and we got to see the parts separated. Talk about a need for inexpensive ln2-cooled superconductors! It was a good reminder that my work is just screwing around in competition to the complexity of these big physics projects. So, so cool.

Wonder how well the tweak it by ear crowd would do in this application space. ;)

... It was a good reminder that my work is just screwing around in competition to the complexity of these big physics projects. So, so cool...
And a reminder that the authority handed to your representatives was exercised to let the cool stuff happens in the cool Alps. Perhaps they consider Texas too hot for cool stuff. :(

I hate it when naysayers indiscriminately shoot down new ideas.

Last edited:

How on Earth does that follow the lines of previous left- right-handed thinking? We use our brains fully and bilaterally, ask any stroke victim.

As Mark said, this line of theory has not survived contact with later experimental results.

Indra--jn probably knows, even if peripherally, the boondoggle of the Texas supercollider better than we do. The big big beam (and hedp) community is small and very incestuous--I saw a lot of Americans on the employee/contributor list at the end of the tour mixed in with folks from around the world. Ideas die, oftentimes arbitrarily, and are reborn in a morphed form in fits and starts later, such is the nature of our collective humanity.

End of the day, we don't have it, and CERN/Brookhaven are our two biggest accelerators, with the former garnering more of the public's attention as of late.

... Ideas die, oftentimes arbitrarily, and are reborn in a morphed form in fits and starts later, such is the nature of our collective humanity...
I praise and give thanks to The Lord for His continuous blessing to bearers of good ideas and others who tirelessly work to bring the ideas into reality for the good of the collective.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
How on Earth does that follow the lines of previous left- right-handed thinking?

I have no idea how it follows left and right handed thinking? .

However, intuition is important to discovery in many cases. That occurs first in brain development.

And, serial and parallel computing by the halves of the brain seems like a new theory with interesting explanations. Too early to say it has been discredited.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I worked with a guy once who was very bright and one of the best ‘engineering mathematicians’ I’ve ever met. He told me when he could not solve a problem, he’d just close his note pad ( be it circuit or otherwise) and go home and sleep on it. Sure enough, in the morning he’d have a way forward and the problem would be duly solved.

My wife is a trained psychologist. We do not fully understand the workings of the mind or how intuition - really very deep seated thought processes that we do not have direct access to - work, and how they then pop into consciousness. Nothing to do with spirits and divine and intervention but everything to do with the incredible human mind.

On this subject, I am with Richard and certainly with AE who was with out a doubt one of the most innovative and intuitive thinkers in history.

A very good book on this type of thing is Douglas Hofstadter’s ‘Goddel, Escher, Bach: the Eternal Gold Braid’.

Last edited:
I have no idea how it follows left and right handed thinking?

THx-RNMarsh

And here I thought the topic was in this vein, the whole left/right brain theory that I remember being taught to us in the late 90s. Are we moving the goalposts?

Left Brain, Right Brain? Wrong | Psychology Today

(Not that I would call psychology today the pinnacle of research, but hey I'm lazy, and the article hits the talking points)

Got a tour of CMS here in Geneva, which was even more awesome given they're in a maintenance cycle and we got to see the parts separated. Talk about a need for inexpensive ln2-cooled superconductors! It was a good reminder that my work is just screwing around in competition to the complexity of these big physics projects. So, so cool.
It's awesome how large the detectors are.
Power distribution will use nitrogen cooling. The high energy physics community tends to use HTS at 4.5 K anyway, they always want more field. CERN runs the machine at 1.8 K to eek out more field from NbSn and make it easier to pump the helium.

For these large projects, other nations collaborate by providing either people, hardware, or both.

Jn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.