John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might have a look at batteries. They are not a constant low Z like an electronic PS is...Batteries might be better in some ways than a wall wort smps. But, may be better to use a good reg PS than a battery for accurate reproduction and find and remove any ground loops if you have them. THx-RNMarsh

Well stated, Richard! I have had battery field preamps for ENG (Electronic News Gathering) use motorboat as the battery discharged due to rising cell impedance. Agreed, proper system interconnect design and chassis bonding perhaps coupled with isolation transformers can effectively break ground loops and kill CM noise.

Cheers,
Howie

p.s. Agreed about LDOs post-battery. And if an SMPS boost and/or buck regulator is used to stabilize voltage they can indeed be problematic with regards to noise and RFI, but I'm glad Jan's regulators seem to be well accepted.

Last edited:
Howie: how were these powered? Battery tech and downstream powersupply?

The headphone monitor amp was powered directly from the 12 V AGM battery, but the mic pres were post-regulated. I'm sure it was the headphone amp doing the motorboating. Unfortunately the resulting supply modulation bled into the audio outputs as well, likely due to internal ground path V drop.

Howie

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Ah yeah. odd for an AGM to be failing that way, but it happens. I am comfortable this is a failure mode that won't bother me, but I do understand those with charging angst even when there is about 300 hours in use time between charges.

Was is Dave Stewart who used to run the tape machines in his studio off batteries whilst recording? Must google that.

I have been spiraling around on methods of modeling the BL(x) curve. Finally I ended up creating a continuous function to model the flux profile and then using online solvers to determine the rolling integral of the flux profile across the length of the voicecoil.

Here's my question. The flux in the gap is relatively constant, but for an overhung voicecoil it's actually the fringe fields on either side of the gap that create the majority of BL variation within xmax. So I have been trying to figure out what is the parent function for these fringe fields. Someone said exponential - nope doesn't work. The closest I have so far is the function:

1/(x)^1.33..1.5

Does anyone happen to know the function for the reduction of flux density through a fringe field?

Last edited:
I have been spiraling around on methods of modeling the BL(x) curve. Finally I ended up creating a continuous function to model the flux profile and then using online solvers to determine the rolling integral of the flux profile across the length of the voicecoil.

Here's my question. The flux in the gap is relatively constant, but for an overhung voicecoil it's actually the fringe fields on either side of the gap that create the majority of BL variation within xmax. So I have been trying to figure out what is the parent function for these fringe fields. Someone said exponential - nope doesn't work. The closest I have so far is the function:

1/(x)^1.33..1.5

Does anyone happen to know the function for the reduction of flux density through a fringe field?
I have no idea about this function.
Any function can be approximated by a polynomial. For smooth functions it does not take many coefficients to get a good approximation.
Search for polynomial approximation, it should tell how to calculate the coefficients.

The Lithium battery in this report was one for eternal CMOS RAM backup power
in my HP8970B. Could just so deliver the current for some LEDs.

I have measured some Sony or Panasonic 18650 explicitly for a
thread here on diyAudio, somewhere in the power supply section.
These were completely OK.

Found it.
#82 in

< https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...-noise-regulator-dac-clock-3.html#post5349743 >

regards, Gerhard

Status
Not open for further replies.