John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who have a healthy right brain can better use their left brain tools in positive ways. That is the purpose of the left-logical brain: to serve the right brain—doing serves being. Being is the soil from which all our plans, details and actions must flower if we are to experience personal fulfillment and truly contribute to the world.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” ~ Albert Einstein

Beautiful. Thank you. The modern world, staring at a back-lighted screen, is powerful but only "left brained". Visiting my (much younger) friends' children, aged 10 and 12, last month scared me about the amount of their time that, only a few years ago, was spent on imagination, and is now spent consuming screen-time.

Is this "left brained"-only world our future? A couple of English-speaking countries, including mine, are already suffering the effects socially and politically. Drake equation?

Much thanks, as always,
Chris

... To everyone else, I am in between two forces, but of which I can learn from. ... Why, sometimes I do not really know, but I usually have an idea or two as to why, but I don't throw something aside just because I do not understand it. Yet many here will condemn something they have never tried, just because they don't understand its operation. I can't afford to do that.
John, as you already know, being both an engineer and trained water dowser, I somehow understand your position. However, I feel that conjectures and suppositions should not be presented as scientific facts. I strongly condemn both people and their companies who seek profit by means of deception, no matter if the product works as stated or not. I am sorry to have taken a very firm stance in this position and make fun of some your posts but I have been bitten on my behind once too often.
... I am not sure what to think...;)
It's an esoteric spiritual satori thing, like Yin and Yang. :D

Last edited:
Can someone help me list the electromagnetic laws? I have been taking notes but I never got them all written down. I started using the equations as soon as I learned about them but I forget the names. Now I have to start labeling stuff in my models.

Faraday's law of induction
EMF = dB/dT

Lorentz force -
F = BLi

Dark side of the Lorentz force??? The law with no name?
MMF = BLv

Lenz's law - the flux generated by an induced current is opposed to the driving flux.

Can someone help me list the electromagnetic laws? I have been taking notes but I never got them all written down. I started using the equations as soon as I learned about them but I forget the names. Now I have to start labeling stuff in my models.

EMF = dB/dT

Lorentz force -
F = BLi

MMF = BLv

Lenz's law - the flux generated by an induced current is opposed to the driving flux.

Attachments

• laws.jpg
    laws.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 248
Indra1, you do have a greater understanding of what I find audio design to be than most. There is an element of 'beyond complete understanding through engineering laws' that is almost as important as good engineering. This may be seen as a 'story' but it is very real to me.
When it comes to advertising, I really don't like it either. For example, we never advertised by buying ads for either of my best designs, the Blowtorch or the Vendetta SCP2 phono stage. I was criticized by my associates at the time for not doing so, but I just don't like doing it. There is need, however, for exposure of one's new product so that people will consider buying it. We relied on 'word of mouth' by people exposed to our new designs or by audio reviews in the major magazines (this was before the internet, mostly). It worked to a degree, for me, but I never gained any real sales success, and ultimately both the Blowtorch and Vendetta projects were shut down due to lack of sales, and increases in cost of manufacture.
Now what about audio ad's in general? Well just look at them lightly, admire the visual art, the witty prose, etc. BUT don't take them literally. They are usually written by non-engineers to 'puff' a product. They are paid to do this to the extent of what they can get away with, and usually go too far.
When it comes to outright 'lying' I can't be sure that any particular ad is fraudulent. For example, does wire make a difference? I have found it so in many cases. Enough that I might invest $1000 or more for a single cable? No. BUT I do hear differences, and with someone with an almost unlimited budget, who knows what might be worth it?
When it comes to electronics, FINALLY we now make almost all audio products with enough slew-rate to overcome the early problems of TIM, etc. This was not so before Mark Levinson and Matti Otala came on the scene, and it took years to convince people to improve their test equipment to show these problems directly. Now we take it for granted.
Many here, critical of audio quality that I promote, in general, think 'everybody is a crook' but that is not so. In fact, most audio designers sincerely believe in their products, and build them to the best of their ability, given the restraints made by other considerations, such as cost, parts availability, etc. Condemning them wholesale is just 'Sophomoric' posturing. While there have been some exceptions over the decades, audio design is not a place to make big money. The military-industrial complex will give you more, you have to do audio design because you love it as a hobby, as much as a just a job.

Last edited:
For example, does wire make a difference? I have found it so in many cases. Enough that I might invest $1000 or more for a single cable? No. BUT I do hear differences, and with someone with an almost unlimited budget, who knows what might be worth it?
What do you say to those who don't hear differences in double blind test between cheap cables and high priced cables?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member

EMF = dB/dT

Lorentz force -
F = BLi

MMF = BLv

Go onto YouTube and search for DocShuster and Maxwells equations. He does a 10 minute talk - excellent

Shame no one else did the brain test, surely it has more value than this:

Did the test so i can ask you a question. I got 34 (left) 66 (right), so what this result is telling you? The first question about the dancer, i could see the dancer move in any directions, so i choose the one with the smoother movement (but this is i believe not subjective!). Regarding closing one eye, closing my right eye is easier (just like moving my other right side organs) so that's what I did. But i'm right handed so i'm trained to close left eye (e.g. in shooting) and my right eye is clearer (less negative). These questions can actually, imho, be represented by one question only, ie the domination of left or right arm.

One day in a training, a speaker talked about this brain issue and did a similar test. Only one test. She used fingers but i don't remember how. What surprised me was, how come in a room with a lot of people, i'm the only one who put my right thumb above the left one (something like that). But i'm not surprised if that is associated with the right brain.

But the question is: what does this mean? How can we interpret the result of the test?

Turned out the concept of left-brain/right-brain was inaccurate. Science has since changed.
I too recall that the idea was discredited, but that story didn't travel as far, so the original lives on in pop culture.

And technically, "science" hasn't changed but the scientific conclusions have. It's like the old "eggs are good for you, then eggs are bad for you" thing. Scientists learn more, publish something, reporters misunderstand and oversimplify before publishing to the general public, who conclude scientists have changed their minds about something. The shame is the truth isn't that complicated. It doesn't take much digging to discover that egg whites have good protein but the really-good-tasting yolks have bad cholesterol, and it's a tossup whether one counteracts the other to make a whole egg worth eating.

I've eaten hard-boiled egg whites and given the yolks to the cat who loves them.

Status
Not open for further replies.