John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm for all new ideas in improving audio design. There is NO exact solution. Amps need to be better, and to do that, we have to better understand their problems (that we have not fully discovered). Take that from someone who designs amps for a living.
In improving audio design, shouldn't the first step be the weakest link in the chain? I'm sure you would agree that amp isn't the weakest link in audio replaying electronics.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
As I understand it Joe is advocating impedance eq across loudspeaker input terminals causing loudspeaker to appear as 'clean/flat' resistive load. This eliminates harmonic/circulating currents which means amplifier is not having to output harmonic currents in order to satisfy constant output voltage condition. In the case of 'perfect' amplifier reactive load of no importance but in the case of typical 'consumer mid-fi' reactive load is of strong importance and this is what Joe is addressing.

Dan.

Ok Joe has also published amplifier circuit using an R as i originally showed for motional feedback.

A couple weeks ago I and Demian1 said we did this parallel R approach commercially from my suggestion from an experiment I did myself to flatten speaker resonance peaks and see if there was an audible effect. Thus, making the load more benign and resistive.

The sound character change could be due to change in amp distortion but seems unlikely until your Rp is very low, comparable to speaker Z. Seems effect of speaker resonances on amplifier are audible.

The derivation came from flattening high freq Z rise with a series RC across the speaker terminals. I decided that removing the C would include Z changes at any freq (esp bass resonance of driver/box).

The effects of Z/resonances are also manifest with motional feedback. Either/both are audible depends on OPS..... single, double or triple.

IMHO all amplifiers should have the simple Rs (0.1-.33) added to lower driver audio distortion. Its a no brainer and like dc servo can be applied to most all design topologies.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Amps are very limiting when you already have a good enough loudspeaker.

Loudspeakers, because they operate open loop, SEEM to be much more important than almost any amp, static measurement for static measurement, BUT low distortion in amps is usually achieved by adding negative feedback, AND this does not seem to improve the sound much, if any. A good 'open loop' amp with modest distortion (compared to others) might sound better than a 'zero distortion' amp. That is our experience, and has been for more than 50 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.