John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just forget that an amp is just there to excite a speaker's membran. That is a resonant very complex mechanical system we know little about.
I don't forget. Speakers are complex but we don't know little about them at all.
Neglecting the objective measurements is a big mistake, no need to explain why, believing they tell everything as well. We have to be very modest about what we know about what's happens in a given so complex system.
And consider others ways to explore with interest and respect, even if we experience opposite effects: no system is the same in two different places.
Toole, Olive, Linkwitz and others have done a lot of work in correlating measurements with what we perceive, this is where the serious work is in psychoacoustics, not DACs :rolleyes:

Oh my Professeur, don't let them influence your manners and choice of vocabulary. A learned gentleman avoids using less than civilized words. :D

On the contrary, I find his choice of vocabulary very tasteful. :)

Too bad I can't find the posting where he was accused of using the word "taliban". Mind you, from my side, it's not a judgement, even less a condemnation, I'm just curious whether it would trigger an automated or human sanitizer or something. In a previous non-audio life, we did use this qualifier to some very obtuse "customers", but we never dared putting it in writing.

I tend to put the output coil off the power board close to the output terminal and make provision for both possibility. As this is DIY even if the coil is layout on the board it's easy to move it off, and make short on the board. Tournesol quote: "It is enough to listen to some tube amps, with a lot higher level of them, that sound more transparent and euphonic than their solid-state counterparts,"

Maybe euphonic but not transparent....

The classic Luxman L100, one of the best sounding integrated amps I have owned has the output inductors on the protection board, not the amp boards:
Luxman-L100-revised-page-4.gif

Ya learn something every day...of course Luxman may have just run out of space on those little amp boards...

Cheers!
Howie

Not enough business and marketing skills (like creating attractive "sound story") , you probably mean.

You probably haven't got a clue, you mean :)

Yes they had a lot of ads and good reviews then faded away. Maybe the profits were not as good as the metal detectors. My brother had one of those and it more then paid for itself on old California gold tailings.

Minelab was acquired by Codan (Military comms etc) in 2008. Halcro sales
would have been minuscule compared to the metal detector business. Halcro
was shelved.

The brand name has since been bought along with all patents, tooling etc by Longwood
Audio. Some of the original team remain and they are making new product under Halcro name.

On Ya Ozzie's! :)

T

Last edited:
Exactly right. ToS has discovered when almost everyone is on his ignore list he can't follow any discussion. :rolleyes:

Ahem, my ‘To Ignore’ list has been a worthwhile experiment in trying to figure out where I belong. I certainly do not belong here in the ‘Game of High End Audio’ where nobody can ever agree on how to conduct a meaningful and productive debate.

Except for RN Marsh - a real electronics engineer who measures everything, including his own words. His knowledge is breathtaking, he speaks, I listen. And Tournesol, because he is an erudite passionate dude and a proper gentleman.

As for you Scott .......:eek:

ToS

Yes they had a lot of ads and good reviews then faded away. Maybe the profits were not as good as the metal detectors. My brother had one of those and it more then paid for itself on old California gold tailings.

When you design, manufacture and promote the ultimate performance amplifier, and make a brand out of it's performance, there is nowhere else to go after the initial market segment is exhausted. You can't do a cheaper amp with worse performance, since it would go against your own brand, and since you already positioned yourself in the "price no objection" segment, the new lower price point would be irrelevant.

So I guess Bruce Candy was not even hoping for a market survival time span longer than what he already got. He built it, made some money out of it, then shelved it, moved forward, end of story. I see though the new brand owners Magenta/Longwood Audio are trying to revive the brand with an AUD 135,000/pair mono amplifier (no final spec available yet, but preliminary better than the DM88), good luck.

Last edited:
I tend to put the output coil off the power board close to the output terminal and make provision for both possibility. As this is DIY even if the coil is layout on the board it's easy to move it off, and make short on the board. Tournesol quote: "It is enough to listen to some tube amps, with a lot higher level of them, that sound more transparent and euphonic than their solid-state counterparts,"
IIRC Phase Linear amps had coil and ceramic shunt cap mounted to output connectors.
Coil good, ceramic cap bad.

Dan.

The main reason mentioned was to cut any path to parallel ground returns even the capacitive coupling. Not the portability.

If you have PS return paths sharing signal return paths, you have other design problems that should be addressed
The mitigation of system ground loops was one possible advantage but many here wouldn't concede that batteries/supercaps were lower noise than LDOs until the measurements were presented - now the back-peddling is evident

Last edited:
In audio transparent for me means what goes in goes out unchanged.
Most tube amps are like tinted glass, can change some lights to be nicer.
My design goal in audio to be like transparent glass, not tinted.
Transparency is very important, especially for those of us who listen to classical music and have some idea how it should sound when reproduced by an audio system.
Please, try to read what follow with tenderness: I open my heart on very fragile and sensitive things.

Each time I put a microphone in front of an instrument, I stop to believe in transparency. Whatever I try. (And i tried a lot ;-)
For me, it is like photography, an other "art" I like to practice.
A glass can be, more or less transparent, a photography, never. Try to photography a sunset with the best digital modern camera you can find. See what I mean ?

This is not necessarily the case for artificial/amplified/electronic music, where no one knows how it should sound and euphonic distortion of valve power amps or simple ZEN amps may be welcomed by some. Not me in this group.
Apart some "pure electronic" music records, in the Kraftwerk tradition, there is very few records that do not contain natural sounds. Voices, drums, horns, acoustic and even electric guitars (Yes we know how a Gibson or a Fender is supposed to sound). In fact, in studios, there is not misunderstandings about that between musicians, sound engineers, producers. We have no problem to share very subtle sound impressions, working together.
In both situations, the goal is to create the illusion. And the way we do-it is everything but "linear".
The difference between classical music and modern music (Jazz etc.) is:
- On a creative point of view, while classical records offer just another 'interpretation' of the same statuary composers scores, and make believe it comes from a concert hall, the 'modern music' studio work is the creation of the score, the interpretation and the 'sound' all in once.
So, most of the time, the record is the original artwork, that musician on tour try to reproduce (more or less, because they like to stay creative at each moment of their lives).
Well, as I have copies of some original masters I did, I'm, may-be in a little more better situation to judge ifsome damage has been done, by mastering engineers as an example ;-) to the final product. I say "a little", because, memory ... ?

Well, to return to our sheep, for every piece of audio gear that is dedicated to transport information, It seems logical to lie on the less deterioration of the signal as possible.IE, lowest distortions, added noise etc. But, each time we change of universe (acoustic to electric and the opposite), and even analog to digital, it is an other story.

Well, let's take an exemple, ADC and DACs. I love digital, because it was the technology that was less destructive in studios, where we constantly compare inputs/outputs. But how to ensure there were not an RIAA in between. See what I mean ?
I have the feeling that the last ADC i bought were adding extra definition or sharpness (call this how you like) that I never noticed before. But i'm blind about this. My memory, the progres of the amplifiers and speakers in between, the changes of my ears with age etc.
That why I try to have confirmation of this feeling, reading others sharing their own *subjective* feelings and not believe in numbers more than this.
it is the contrary of an anti-scientific demarch. First validate observation, then try to understand the causes of the observed effects. Then to try to find a way to measure , objectively, those effects. Last the effective technical way to address them.
But I know for granted that we are far, oh Lord, far away to can measure all what we hear. We just, for the moment, measure with a great precision, a little part of the effects in actions.

This has earned me to be definitely classified by some here in the clan of what they imagine to be a subjectivist audiophile, while my approach is exactly opposite. In fact I had spend, exactly like many of us here, long long hours in my life in measurements. Just I try endlessly to correlate them with my subjective listening impressions. With not a lot of success.

When it is for my own use, no problem, my own pleasure is the target. When it is for others (in a R&D office), the big question remain: What others will hear ? And where is the best balance between soft and harsh, blur and fatigue. And where to look for those defects to avoid searching in the dark.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has done that, it would be foolish of them since you are continually proclaiming not to be.

And it would certainly help if everybody would stop using the words:- ‘objective, subjective, and audiophile’ - plus all their derivatives.

Naturally, I include myself in this abstention ..... if only to block the opportunity of a snark from you - Scott :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.