John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone has done that, it would be foolish of them since you are continually proclaiming not to be.
It was not a personal question. It was more a question about scale of value.
All human activities, am-i wrong ? have for goal to bring us pleasure (or comfort, what is the same). The scientific demarch to discover the laws of our universe is the pleasure to satisfy our native curiosity. And to can modify our environment the way we like (with often more negative effects than good ones on the long run ;-).
Artists do the same. Exactly the same. By an opposite approach. Who dares to deny that they sometimes give us a lot of pleasure ? And, by the way, no one had produced an atomic bomb.

Audiophiles ? They just take the artistic path on a more or less scientific road (technology). They buy magic cables ? What can-we say ? If their pleasure is to own an expensive and good looking gear. ...To be hype in the image they make of themselves. I don't give a damn.
People that sell those cables ? They satisfy a request. Just like Rolls Royce sellers.

Steve Jobs, at the door of his death wrote a will. The great prophet has just become aware of the derisory of our lives. He was anxious to inform humanity of what many of the ants in the anthill already knew. I found it touching... and derisory.

The pain we can do to those around us is not. I hope you see the correlation with this thread.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Steve Jobs, at the door of his death wrote a will. The great prophet has just become aware of the derisory of our lives. He was anxious to inform humanity of what many of the ants in the anthill already knew. I found it touching... and derisory.

The same person who refused to accept the existance of one of his own children for years and thought homeopathy would cure his cancer?

The same person who refused to accept the existance of one of his own children for years and thought homeopathy would cure his cancer?

Yes, but not quite! He was famous for asking when a decision needed to be made and then spending the time being sure it was researched no matter how obvious it seemed.

Apparently the time frame given before using traditional treatment was too long.

As to parentage, that took a DNA test to resolve doubt.

However he still was politely put still quite a jerk.

The specs are very typical and similar to others of various brands I have tried, like those readily available on eBay.......The rated ESR is 44R
Yes, that's the memory backup types I had in mind, I forgot the ESR is that high.
Since the ESR value is high in supercaps, I believe that the energy stored and that ESR means that the benefit is down to a fraction of a Hertz' with low rate of change (did somebody just refer 1/f noise).
That 44R ESR in series with 'infinite' capacitance (300,000UF+) constitutes damping/dumping of supply perturbations down to 'DC or so' like I mentioned. There are plenty of similarly low and extremely low ESR versions easily available now, have you tried other types and values in series with different selected resistor values and resistor types ?.
Paul Miller in the UK has referred to "Uncorrelated Noise-Like Jitter" and came up with the measurement below, note the high magnification required.
Yes, changing the really close in low Hz 'vibrato' jitter will change sound significantly.....what are the graphed measurements ?.

People here can make up their own mind. But what is so obvious is anybody can try it, since you can buy these 0.33F/5.5V supercaps all over the place now. Put on the power supplies of DAC and the usual =3.3V on the oscillator (assumes that it is a powered oscillator). Then you can comment on what you think is happening and what it does to the sound. Fair enuff?
So easy to do, any changes in magnitude or spectrum of low frequency jitter is audible, such ultracaps will cause change in character of ULF jitter but not solely because of supply smoothing/damping I think.

I am using different method to control/customise the nature of clocking in my system and the results are very clearly audible. Clock 'nature' is everything in digital systems and constitutes 'voicing' when not exactly pure. White spectrum jitter is ignored by the ear and presents as information loss but without 'signature', pink jitter spectrum is noticeable.

Pure and white/pink clock can get boring, 'flavoured' jitter can remaster playback and fix recordings that are not quite 'right'. If bass is a bit shy in a recording I can boost and 'fatten' the bottom end by inserting gold into the oscillator sound, if the recording is a bit dull I can clarify and 'brighten' the mid/highs by adding silver into the oscillator sound, or I can add both to fatten and brighten, this is real tone control. By your descriptions Joe and Merrill, I expect you are adding carbon sound jitter into your systems and this may be part reason for preference of supercapped DAC/clock stages.

Dan.

If bass is a bit shy in a recording I can boost and 'fatten' the bottom end by inserting gold into the oscillator sound, if the recording is a bit dull I can clarify and 'brighten' the mid/highs by adding silver into the oscillator sound, or I can add both to fatten and brighten, this is real tone control.
Dan, do you really believe alchemy is the best way to transform the lead in gold ?

If bass is a bit shy in a recording I can boost and 'fatten' the bottom end by inserting gold into the oscillator sound, if the recording is a bit dull I can clarify and 'brighten' the mid/highs by adding silver into the oscillator sound, or I can add both to fatten and brighten, this is real tone control.
By your descriptions Joe and Merrill, I expect you are adding carbon sound jitter into your systems and this may be part reason for preference of supercapped DAC/clock stages.

I'm waiting for MM, Joe, and JC to chime in that this on the right track.

Dan, do you really believe alchemy is the best way to transform the lead in gold ?
T, you can jest all you like at what I describe, gold and silver are not the only sonic 'flavourings' available.
Imagine if you could have had a mastering processor box in the studio with a compartment into which you could put acoustic 'seasonings and spices' and produce a sound signature unique to each artist and according to the clients taste, and in addition to or instead of the studio's tired same old analog outboard loop but with slightly different settings each time.
I have this technique already, it's not imagination, it's not magic, it's just how materials affect and effect materials, entanglement in action.

Dan.

Imagine if you could have had a mastering processor box in the studio with a compartment into which you could put acoustic 'seasonings and spices' and produce a sound signature unique to each artist and according to the clients taste, and in addition to or instead of the studio's tired same old analog outboard loop but with slightly different settings each time.
I have this technique already, it's not imagination, it's not magic, it's just how materials affect and effect materials, entanglement in action.

Dan,

You are unrelentingly consistent in your belief in what you are doing. Not once have you ever made a slip. Whether you are right or wrong, I have not the slightest idea, but do buy me a pint when you win. :drink:

ToS

Attachments

• sunset_pma.JPG
    sunset_pma.JPG
    767.7 KB · Views: 168
Status
Not open for further replies.