John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports in Iancanada's threads on his & others journey comparing supercaps/batteries to many regulators.
One factor reported is that putting a regulator between supercap/battery & device being powered usually/always results in a dis-improvement in sound Vs supply from supercap/battery alone especially when driving digital devices

Probably better to take most of the claims you read there lightly. Ian is a good guy and people are having fun, but I wouldn't take it too seriously. PM if you wish to discuss in more detail.

Last edited:
But do you consider a single jump of 1A to be a dynamically changing current demand?

Of course, step-like load current change is one of the most severe conditions to show how well the regulation in PSU works. BTW, producers of supply regulator ICs show this measurement in their datasheets.

In amplifiers it is about the PSRR parameter. You may inject the voltage (small square e.g.) to the supply rail and measure effect at the amplifier output. The easiest test is to load one of the power supply rails with a resistor to simulate increased load current and measure spectrum at the output. Though it is not a "dynamic" test, it increases the rail ripple voltage and reflects in the output signal ripple, which should be minimal. You will see that many beloved designs, especially those simple ones, will behave very badly in this test. Similar indicator are mains line spectral lines, intermodulation products, during a standard sine or intermodulation spectral analysis. Again, simple circuits and valve amplifiers behave very badly.

There is no technical problem in doing this, why anyone would spend their time and energy is another question.

Round and round we go........

I think the problem is in a discussion of people with very different background, professions, education, experience. Internet brought something that was impossible in the pre-internet era. Someone for whom this is a hobby asks "did anyone measure ......" just for the reason he does not know much about the subject, works in another field and popular magazines do not give the answers. We usually evaluate something based on our personal experience - difficult to see behind our own horizons and our own limits, whatever they are. So the debate becomes endless and turns in circles.
Three replies here basically saying the same thing although some showing more childishness than others

I asked about stability of PSes & two members scoffed, of course, it's easy. Shame is they don't care or don't understand about PS stability when driving devices handling dynamic signals & requiring dynamic loads

They lash out when this glaringly obvious lack of understanding is exposed & fall back to the usual defence mechanisms - why bother or you don;t know what you''re talking about.

Shame!

- Why bother? Sure I understand the lack of interest but I asked about stability of PS & you guys posted graphs which don't show any understanding of what was being discussed - just simply the streetlight effect on display again

- Yes, round & round as long as people think they know better & dismiss the other's posts

- The arrogance on display here yet again shows the self back-slapping that is often seen on display - I'm a EE, you're not .. nah, nah, na nah
I thought this was a forum for grown ups? However, it's not unusual to see 60 -70 year olds behave like children.

Probably better to take most of the claims you read there lightly. Ian is a good guy and people are having fun, but I wouldn't take it too seriously. PM for if you wish to discuss in more detail.

Mark, one of the suggestions I gave you a good while back in your DAC tweaking quest was to try batteries and/or supercapacitors. You weren't interested for some reason - I think it was the number of different voltages needed? I'll PM but I have my own experiences of battery & supercap power which concurs with the views on Iancanada thread - regulators on the output of battery or supercap is detrimental to sound or at best, no effect

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think we all learn from the PhD types which is as it should be, but similarly the bench 'technician' has plenty to tell of real world laws and insights of which the pure 'theoretician' is clueless.
Sometimes it is these theoreticians that need to open their minds to the real world which is the real science and not just to a book, an equation or a virtual world simulation.

So you assume that anyone on here with a PhD hasn't built anything? That's very closed minded. Plus 'real world laws'..what are they.? A law in science has a pretty strict definition.

I asked about stability of PSes & two members scoffed, of course, it's easy. Shame is they don't care or don't understand about PS stability when driving devices handling dynamic signals & requiring dynamic loads

Shame that you don't understand how easy it is to do these measurements and what constitutes dynamic loads. As in PMA's example a sudden change in current draw excites the entire system, this is basic stuff.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"So of course I would believe these measurements need to be taken when the device being powered is processing dynamic signals"

The DAC dynamic signal related currents will be a small fraction of the total current draw of the DAC. There is nothing that can be added that good local decoupling will provide and a decent regulator per the data sheet. There are lots of very low uV level noise specified 3.3V regs - see TI, ON et al.

An accurate analysis. He asks the same question(s) over and over again of the same people because he has a theory that he can't prove. Does he think that if he carries on asking they will relent and go out of their way to do the tests for him? It could be simpler and that, and he's suffering from short-term memory loss.

You, on the other hand have shown your inability to understand most of what's posted & jump out from the long grass whenever you see an opportunity to strike with venom.

The fact that the behaviour of devices with dynamic signals is a little studied/measured area, I don't expect you to grasp. The fact that dynamic signals are also fundamental to auditory perception is way past your abilities to comprehend.

I keep pointing out how current measurements ignore the obvious dynamic nature of the music signals which our devices & our ears process.

Pity your understanding is so limited or you might comprehend even a small part of this

Do you know what output impedance is? Mind telling us what the output impedance of a good regulator is in the audio band?

As far as I can tell, you're one of the ones here with the least understanding. It's a miracle your products even function.

That's a funny way to put it, MS not required for applying but required for completion. Now, go ahead and read the prerequisites for completing a Master degree. Bachelor degree probably not required for admission but required for completion :rofl:

I don't know, but then again, I have still have to see a PhD program in any Applied Science discipline that does not require a Master for completion (ok, I concede a genius could complete his Master during his PhD tenure, although I wonder how one would pass the PhD first years exams without a Master degree level of knowledge).

You seem to think all PhD programs work the same way. They don't.
- At UCLA you can be admitted for a EE PhD without a Masters.
- At UCLA, you can complete a PhD in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering without ever getting a Masters. You never answered: is that applied science?
- At UCLA (department dependent -but the ones I know), you have 3 main examinations: Written Qualifying within the first 2 years; Oral Qualifying within the first 4; Final Oral Defense after you submit your dissertation to your committee.

and you are wrong
I wasn't, but I have no problem admitting when I am. Do you? First, you state no recognized university does it, then you switched to applied sciences, and even that's wrong. Please don't move the goal post again to exclusively EE.

We've also wandered away a bit from the from the "bad smell" of John Westlake's Wiki page. You may not like him or what he writes, but questioning his future plans... ? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.