John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do, and you are wrong, at least for any Applied Science programs at UCLA.

Electrical & Computer Engineering | UCLA Graduate Programs (scroll down the long page).

Cocka-a-doodle-doo!

Rather cocky, eh?

Two points:

1- You implied something fishy about the Wiki page stating he was "preparing his Doctorate PhD research" without a Masters. On the UCLA web page:
"Ph.D.: Applicants interested in a Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering are not required to have completed the master's degree in order to be considered for admission. Those admitted to the Ph.D. program without a master's degree are required to complete the UCLA M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering while proceeding toward the Ph.D."
So he could apply to UCLA without the Masters.

2- Not required for Neuroscience, but you may not consider that "applied science". Is Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering applied science? It is not required there.

Do you know what field he planned for the PhD?

Rather cocky, eh?

Two points:

1- You implied something fishy about the Wiki page stating he was "preparing his Doctorate PhD research" without a Masters. On the UCLA web page:
"Ph.D.: Applicants interested in a Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering are not required to have completed the master's degree in order to be considered for admission. Those admitted to the Ph.D. program without a master's degree are required to complete the UCLA M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering while proceeding toward the Ph.D."
So he could apply to UCLA without the Masters.

2- Not required for Neuroscience, but you may not consider that "applied science". Is Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering applied science? It is not required there.

Do you know what field he planned for the PhD?

That's a funny way to put it, MS not required for applying but required for completion. Now, go ahead and read the prerequisites for completing a Master degree. Bachelor degree probably not required for admission but required for completion :rofl:

I don't know, but then again, I have still have to see a PhD program in any Applied Science discipline that does not require a Master for completion (ok, I concede a genius could complete his Master during his PhD tenure, although I wonder how one would pass the PhD first years exams without a Master degree level of knowledge).

I have admiration for bench taught guys who achieve good things, but just sometimes it might be worth considering that those on here with PhDs might just have some insights for you to learn if you opened your mind to science...
billshurv, of course I agree, and that is what I try to do. Not the case of everybody else ?

But let-me told-you a little story (You know I like this).
My son has just finished his Master2 degree in Law this year (because he has inherited from the impressive intelligence of his father, he will probably be major of its promotion ;-)*.

He was engaged by the company he was in alternance this year. The first thing they told him was to avoid as much as possible all this volapuk that seems to be the main goal of the university.
Note that the poor students were obliged to memorize a lot of articles of law and jurisprudence, that changes constantly, that can be found in a click with a computer, and never been taught how to use ... a computer to find what they need to find. Happily, he is good at this, thanks to the video games ;-)

* For the second degree enemies, I'm just mocking myself.

I think the problem is in a discussion of people with very different background, professions, education, experience. Internet brought something that was impossible in the pre-internet era. Someone for whom this is a hobby asks "did anyone measure ......" just for the reason he does not know much about the subject, works in another field and popular magazines do not give the answers. We usually evaluate something based on our personal experience - difficult to see behind our own horizons and our own limits, whatever they are. So the debate becomes endless and turns in circles.
An accurate analysis. He asks the same question(s) over and over again of the same people because he has a theory that he can't prove. Does he think that if he carries on asking they will relent and go out of their way to do the tests for him? It could be simpler and that, and he's suffering from short-term memory loss.

<snip>
Edit: I have to say this. I have admiration for bench taught guys who achieve good things, but just sometimes it might be worth considering that those on here with PhDs might just have some insights for you to learn if you opened your mind to science...

It is a good advice.

Maybe it would be easier to get, if those "with PhD" or other well experienced engineers would lead by example instead of refusing to learn about (or to educate themselves about) terms and methods used in cognitive psychology or psychophysics. ;)

@ PMA,

I think the problem is in a discussion of people with very different background, professions, education, experience. Internet brought something that was impossible in the pre-internet era. Someone for whom this is a hobby asks "did anyone measure ......" just for the reason he does not know much about the subject, works in another field and popular magazines do not give the answers. We usually evaluate something based on our personal experience - difficult to see behind our own horizons and our own limits, whatever they are. So the debate becomes endless and turns in circles.

That's why I was asking about the benefits of using pejoratives on humans thinking differently.
Think about the times when you were adamant about the uselessness of ABX tests ("just complete wasting of time" afair or words to that effect).

Did it help when others were using pejoratives when discussing, or would it have helped (in case that pejoratives weren't used back then :) )?

Last edited:
That's why I was asking about the benefits of using pejoratives on humans thinking differently.
Think about the times when you were adamant about the uselessness of ABX tests ("just complete wasting of time" afair or words to that effect).

Did it help when others were using pejoratives when discussing, or would it have helped (in case that pejoratives weren't used back then :) )?

Maybe it has helped, at least I was considering that intelligent people have had other view than me so I was thinking that I should take their opinion into account and ask myself why their view is different ;). This, together with my collected experience, lead to change in my attitude. I have no problem to admit my mistake ;).

Joined 2014
Paid Member
So, that means, if your are an PhD or an experienced engineer, you'll need superhuman powers to notice and fill your own gaps of knowledge although constantly lecturing others about how urgently they need to fill _their_ gaps of knowledge? :)

I feel it more the speck of dust in eye vs plank argument. If we were all sat around a table in a bar I am sure the conversation would rapidly converge onto a common ground and shared learning.

Or get drunk and argue about something else...

Edit: I have to say this. I have admiration for bench taught guys who achieve good things, but just sometimes it might be worth considering that those on here with PhDs might just have some insights for you to learn if you opened your mind to science...
I think we all learn from the PhD types which is as it should be, but similarly the bench 'technician' has plenty to tell of real world laws and insights of which the pure 'theoretician' is clueless.
Sometimes it is these theoreticians that need to open their minds to the real world which is the real science and not just to a book, an equation or a virtual world simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.