John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
See < EM simulation software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia > for a compilation.

EM and low cost do not go together well.

Why don't you simply assume that each mm of wire has a nH and so on?
Improve your spice capacitor models with some nH parasitics and you will
see the 7 MHz series resonance of a 100nF.
Cheap, but an eye opener.

EM solvers are for structures that are NOT small against the wavelength,
but even at 1 MHz your audio circuits are small.

regards, Gerhard

.....because I am not interested in that approach.... and no immediate application/need. Actually, I want to look at EM fields and interactions up to about 100KHz. Or, within the BP of best audio amplifiers, switch supplies and mixed signal pcb. The other things would be nice bonus for the circuit sim guys around DIYAudio. Especially when going from SIM to build and then finding unstable circuit (osc). But, I'm not so interested I will spend a lot of money on EM software ..... just if there is something "reasonably complete" to learn from. I have OrCAD and will get access to EM somehow but it isnt as nice as having it all at your finger tips to explore.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Ansys Maxwell is the software that comes to mind. But it is thousands of dollars per year for a license.

Best bet is to find a university that has a course using it.

Better yet, in some schools if you're a student of any kind, you can have access to this or many other software packages, even remotely from any location. You can download and licence via VPN tethering, or run the school's own computers remotely. All for free, as long as you are a registered student.

Audio ground planes

I brought up the audio ground plane issue back in June:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/248105-slewmaster-cfa-vs-vfa-rumble.html#post3962665

As I understand, signals radiated from the ground plane into a parallel trace will occur at frequencies where the inductance of the ground plane is swamped by its resistance. In the resistive frequency region of the ground plane, the currents will no longer follow the path of magnetic coupling and will instead spread across the ground plane following the path of least resistance, and the magnetic field resulting from this will couple into other traces on the board.

A 1oz copper ground plane of 10cm x 10cm based on my calculators has an inductance+resistance corner frequency of around 5KHz - so it is safe to say that at audio frequencies, a ground plane can't help magnetic radiation much. The output stage generates enormous currents, so I think it's plane should definitely be partitioned.

My understanding is that the corner frequency of the mutual inductance of the ground plane and the resistance of the ground plane is the point where the return current stops following the path of least resistance.

If you think about it this way, a thick aluminum plate has a corner frequency of 60Hz and would be much more suitable for audio. A thick enough aluminum plate would cover all frequencies in the audio and RF range. How about a 1cm thick heatsink baseplate?

Applying ground planes in an audio context is going to take some translation because most ground plane advice is geared towards RF where the resistance of the plane itself is insignificant. The behavior of a ground plane has to be understood and adapted for audio use, which means developing a different and possibly contradicting set of rules.

I do use gnd plane in audio/low frequency instrument design where the currents are small, the circuits are Class A so any coupling won't add to distortion

you do have to watch Class B current loops much more carefully, explicitly plan, route the return path

of course this isn't any new discovery for someone with 30 years of precision instrument design experience

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I brought up the audio ground plane issue back in June:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/248105-slewmaster-cfa-vs-vfa-rumble.html#post3962665

My understanding is that the corner frequency of the mutual inductance of the ground plane and the resistance of the ground plane is the point where the return current stops following the path of least resistance.

If you think about it this way, a thick aluminum plate has a corner frequency of 60Hz and would be much more suitable for audio. A thick enough aluminum plate would cover all frequencies in the audio and RF range. How about a 1cm thick heatsink baseplate?

I was in Asia that month but read it.... its what got me to bring up my experiment now in july and I am back in USA.

There is also a range of freq where some is going this way and some currents are going that way. Its all over the pcb areas. And, that is with just a single wire path.

I have a couple probes which picks up localized fields and another which picks up from a distance. I'll throw some info out. But, bottom line is, I think bettter pcb designs could be done if one understood more about the EM's of the layout.

I have to find the test probes etc I used and will then show them and a few things I learned as to magnitude of the issue. As I already showed/demostrated that skin effect is present but not an issue if the pcb trace is thick enough. But low freq magnetic fields are very hard to shield against and inside an amp is a mess of it.

My goal is only to bring it up and show some possible significance. Then if interested, one can go further.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm currently laying out a S/PDIF + DAC + Buffer board and am 'agonizing' over whether just to lay the ground plane across the whole board (its 4 layer) or split it into 2 sections so S/PDIF + DAC and then a separate plane under the buffer amplifier.

The DAC analog output in this latter case flows acoss the split ground plane. In this split ground plane version, there is via a separate layer ground connections going back to the central star ground that joins thetwo halves of the circuit.

I'm currently tending to the solid ground plane, but wonder what the current flows are like - there is a 50 MHz clock, the ~3 MHz S/PDIF signal and of course the 192 kHz between the receiver and the DAC . . . an interesting challenge!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm currently laying out a S/PDIF + DAC + Buffer board and am 'agonizing' over whether just to lay the ground plane across the whole board (its 4 layer) or split it into 2 sections so S/PDIF + DAC and then a separate plane under the buffer amplifier.

The DAC analog output in this latter case flows acoss the split ground plane. In this split ground plane version, there is via a separate layer ground connections going back to the central star ground that joins thetwo halves of the circuit.

I'm currently tending to the solid ground plane, but wonder what the current flows are like - there is a 50 MHz clock, the ~3 MHz S/PDIF signal and of course the 192 kHz between the receiver and the DAC . . . an interesting challenge!

I think Bruno had something useful to say about that in his G-word article. I believe he came to the conclusion that the plane should NOT be split.

Jan

There has, it seems to me, always been an assumption that many things seen in HF or RF cant have any possible impact at AF. This isnt always true. Take this case of a ground plane on an audio pcb...... what is the path a 10Hz signal will take on the ground plane?

View attachment 429766

It will travel in a direct line from input to output - a diagonal path. But what if the freq was increased to only 1000 Hz? Is the path still the same?

THx-RNMarsh
Tom Van Doren had some good slides on this as well. In addition, the same methodology applies to wires outside a closed box, such as IC's and safety bonds.

Learning a few 'actual' things from measuring the assumptions shows this:

View attachment 429770

Why? How could this happen?

What does this mean in terms of inductance and fields? Using this 'real' knowledge would produce better SOTA audio designs, IMO.

THx-RNMarsh

Current takes the path of least reactance.

I think that is exaggerating the frequency effect - maybe non standard PCB copper weight?
Actually, no.

I'll contribute some circuit ideas.

From my limited experience I would ask what the maximum current is you need for the arc and what the other side of the arc looks like- inductive or resistive? The current waveform through the arc would tell a lot about what the device needs. Use the smallest FET that can handle it. The on resistance will be issue number one and most of the heat will be there. A smaller part needs less juice to turn it on. Use a FET to drive it otherwise you need to work to turn off the driver. You will be operating in saturated mode so its all about switching times.

I had figured that by pulling the cascode emitter with 100 mA (for example), the cascode's collector resistor drop would keep the cascode's collector well above the base level, so it would never saturate, then the 100 ohmer to the rail would be used to pull the fet off.
Most of the packages will limit the minimum inductance. You may be able to use some of the RF parts, but bigger bucks and not necessarily any better.
Yah, I figured smaller was faster, I was concerned with total gate charge. As to minimum inductance, I do have some ideas on how to do that, it'll be fun to try. Theory, idea's, build design, hardware build and encapsulation, and first tests I'll document well for the guys here as well as the researchers who's papers I've been reviewing.. At the moment, I'm starting to cut metal for the rotating chuck of the plunge setup. I'm still trying to figure out how to measure runout once it's below 250 micro-inches. That's about the limit for me at this time..
Do you start and stop the arc with the transistor or use an LC to limit the arc? 1 nS rise times on the arc will be difficult enough but a 50% duty cycle is more of a big challenge, a 50 MHz pulse train? However maybe a resonant circuit driving the arc could do it? What is the breakdown voltage? Does the arc quench quickly? (Not well know detail- spark gap surge suppressors are bad for AC since they don't quench in 16 mS so they become a crowbar across the power line.)

You may get as good or better results using a packaged FET driver chip.

Would this gadget work for the 3D milling process with a carbon electrode?
1. The latest round of papers I've reviewed use 20 volts and about 1 to 2 amps, the current controlled by a series resistor, the 10 ohmer in my schematic.. The kerf of the cut depends on the voltage and the dielectric medium's breakdown voltage. The problems I've found with the latest rounds of papers is that they do not control the setup inductance which kills risetimes at that level. Many conclusions are reached regarding onset of spark, rate of current rise, voltage, and resultant cut rate and surface finish, but they are based on terrible waveforms and measurements. They tent to keep the feed wires out of the liquid, so by design create a large inductance loop AND drive a .001 inch diameter wire with current for inches outside the liquid (given the process has a variable spark rate, this can excite mechanical resonances in the wire in the air, messing up surface finish). The process is typically designed as a closed loop system, with the feed rate (cutting rate) of the wire dependent on the average current of the spark. 150 kHz, 30 nSec wide pulses, and 1 to 2 amps was in the last paper, and 1.5 micron per second feed rates as a maximum.

They hit a speed wall, and I suspect much of it is due to the lack of control of inductance, with debris clearing a far second effect.

My design will have the switchfet, both resistors, and capacitive storage all put into an encapsulated structure that will be under the work in the dielectric fluid. I'm looking to decrease the kerf width via lower voltage while retaining a cutting rate that doesn't wait for the final collapse of the universe to finish, and get really good surface finishes.

Carbon electrodes seem to work the best with respect to electrode wear. My problem is the initial app would need an electrode about .003 to .004 inches diameter, I suspect that I may just have to use drills of that size, they are easily purchased and not very expensive.

ps..demian, thank you very much for your hints and comments.

jn

Last edited:
JN,
I'm not sure of your application for the EDM machining but suspect you are trying to make watch or clock gears? I never looked into the technology myself as I always had others do this type of work when making aluminum molds but this has been done for so long I am wondering why it is so hard to find the information you are looking for. From what I remember the electrodes were made from carbon blocks and machined to shape. The most common reason to use this tech was to create sharp corners or square cutouts that just can't be done with a rotating cutter of any kind. I would think that any patents for this kind of machining would be long since expired and would think that some of this information must be available from the machined molds industry, have you looked anywhere like the Society of the Plastics Industry or one of the other plastics mold making groups?

ps. I know you are on LinkedIn and perhaps one of the mold making groups there would be a good source of information.

Last edited:
JN,
I'm not sure of your application for the EDM machining but suspect you are trying to make watch or clock gears? I never looked into the technology myself as I always had others do this type of work when making aluminum molds but this has been done for so long I am wondering why it is so hard to find the information you are looking for. From what I remember the electrodes were made from carbon blocks and machined to shape. The most common reason to use this tech was to create sharp corners or square cutouts that just can't be done with a rotating cutter of any kind. I would think that any patents for this kind of machining would be long since expired and would think that some of this information must be available from the machined molds industry, have you looked anywhere like the Society of the Plastics Industry or one of the other plastics mold making groups?

ps. I know you are on LinkedIn and perhaps one of the mold making groups there would be a good source of information.
The first problem is googling EDM. While I like electronic dance music, it doesn't help me much...

Some of our vendors used edm for the half meter thick laminated steel yokes we needed, but there they were concerned first with rapid removal, then a final cut to tolerance, but using 10 to 15 mil wire and hundreds of volts.

Micro-wire EDM is a more precise use, and the lit out there is rather limited.

My first app is plunge hole cutting on watch balance wheel staffs for repairs because a friend needs it, but yes, I'm looking further down into EDM for watch and clock gears. My first app there will be EDM of carbide tool bits to make the cutters for custom gear teeth. I love the fact that EDM goes through any metal known..

Eventually, once I'm further along, I'll visit the on site EDM facility and get some process info from them.

jn

Ya,
EDM dance music isn't going to cut it for machining your gears and shafts! Can't stand that noise myself anyway! I'll see if I can find you some information from one of my plastics groups, worth a try anyway. I know they never used EDM machining on those original watches and clocks I have so wonder why you are requiring this level of machining for such an old and well known art. I haven't done any watch repair since I was really young but have a grandfather clock and a few wall hanging clocks that need repair. Some clocks I have no problems looking into but the grandfather clock with all the chimes and different tones you can select and multiple hanging weights is something I have never messed with. Could be interesting or a cluster F..k.

I'll see if I can find you some information from one of my plastics groups, worth a try anyway.

Thank you. I suspect they don't do wire, and I think feature sizes in the single digit thousanths is not a plastic forte'.

I know they never used EDM machining on those original watches and clocks I have so wonder why you are requiring this level of machining for such an old and well known art.
Normal technique to fix a broken pivot is drill a hole in the end and loctite a hardened pin. Easily done as long as the pin is .020 inch and up. A watch balance staff requires something closer to .004 inches hole and pin to do the same repair. Otherwise, one has to machine a new balance staff and then harden it. This procedure is becoming less and less available across the USA as the talent is dying off, and taking 3 to 4 hours to make a new one takes the repair up in cost at 150 bucks per hour.. EDM'ing a hole that size and laser welding a new pin in is one method I'm working on for my friend. The EDM has to be fire and forget, but machine time estimates at 50 dollars per hour. If I can get the accuracy and reasonable speed, my friend will probably advert in NWACC and get some business. If it doesn't work, I still benefit in that I have learned something new. If that something new also helps advance SOTA, so much the better.
I haven't done any watch repair since I was really young but have a grandfather clock and a few wall hanging clocks that need repair. Some clocks I have no problems looking into but the grandfather clock with all the chimes and different tones you can select and multiple hanging weights is something I have never messed with. Could be interesting or a cluster F..k.
Yes, the strike and chime clocks certainly look daunting at first blush. Knowing what pictures to take during dis-assembly is a skill the beginners tend to learn very very quickly.

jn

Last edited:
I think Bruno had something useful to say about that in his G-word article. I believe he came to the conclusion that the plane should NOT be split. Jan

Either way can be better in a particular case, but much depends upon the layout, especially for analog and mixed-signal boards.
The better the layout, the more direct the current paths will be, and the more the return currents will remain near them.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now I better understand what you are doing. EDM a hole in the end of a balance shaft etc. I also thought you were using it to cut gears. I was going to suggest photomachining for the gears as an alternative but this is different. Everything is smaller making it more possible to use higher frequency stuff.

JN,
Thanks for the clarification of what you are trying to do. I know that wire EDM is rather common in machining operations, at the same time your size requirement seems to be the issue. That would be one small wire size you are talking about and I wouldn't think you could have much length to that without having problems with alignment and support. Not sure what type of wire you would be using but think perhaps tungsten is what you would be looking at. I'll see what I can find out.

Yes that grandfather clock is amazing, multiple chime selection and multiple weights with plenty of tubes for the sound. It wasn't a cheap clock so worth repairing. I think the oldest clock in the house is a water clock, hasn't been working for years, didn't want to mess with the authenticity of it by repairing it. You add water and as the water level goes down it keeps time. I live in a house full of antique clocks. I still have my original Pulsar digital watch somewhere, I think it was the first digital watch commercialized with its red crystal face. I still wish my old Seiko chronograph with self wind was still working correctly, one of the best watches I have ever owned, kept perfect time.

Status
Not open for further replies.