John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that Jack will make 10. He told me that they were just too hard to make properly, and he is somewhat disappointed in his helpers. I feel the same way a good deal at the time.

The Japanese have long known that women are better than men at this kind of demanding detail work. I saw a Japanese woman on a production line solder a row of pins on an LSI with a deft swipe of the soldering tip. It was amazing.

The multitone really separates the sheep from the goats. I'm using 30 1/3 octave tones at about 12db crest factor. Artifacts show up on even the best boards.
what ADC? - you must have AD PulSAR ADC eval boards handy AD7690/7982 both look pretty good for audio with some averaging/filtering for noise floor - or parallel a few?

Last edited:
I think jcx wants to know (I do too) what ADC you're using to measure the multitone output from the DAC?

I see, right now I was just using a Fostex FR2LE and doing a diff on the results (there are obvious differences). There is a problem in general that one needs a reference A/D that is as they say "blessed". We should set this up, it's amazing how much work it is to put this all together.

somebody has to if my stocks are going to keep me afloat in retirement - must have some ADI in my S&P 500 Index fund

I was thinking 16 is nice number of parallel chips

another thought is 30 pretty good DACs - each just making 1 frequency of the multitone, sum the analog outs in an inverting amp

could even self cal to a degree - one DAC working at the full operating amplitude for 1 tone, the rest at -1/29 at the same frequency to cancel the fundamental, each with much lower distortion components due to the lower level - do a iterative periodic disturbance cancellation algorithm to calc a feedforward correction table for the 1 full amplitude DAC with low demand on the measuring ADC which only sees the diff error - repeat 30x and you have a "perfect" multitone to diff your measurement DUT output against in analog

Last edited:
link .... ( crap sound like the chemist now ):)
Sorry, took a little to track it down. A fantastic resource for information about sound in the music world is at https://www.speech.kth.se, you could spend days wandering through this lot. Which is where I found my first paper, "Sound levels and long-time spectra recorded within the symphony orchestra and risk criteria for hearing loss" by Jansson, etc - this states 124dB as maximum. Then there was a later work, "Sound Exposure of Symphony Orchestra Musicians" by Schmidt et al, this raises the bar to 132dB for numerous situations.

Sorry, tied up at the moment, try Google to get the links for these, :).

Last edited:
Well everyone, I did make a mistake. I gave Ed Simon an updated version of the JC-3 and now many of its parts are up for criticism from PMA and others. Sorry, but Ed, you should learn from this experience. You can give, but you will mostly get criticism from others. '-)

Actually Pavel was right. As you know I did omit some details and changed others. What is a bit interesting is that his distortion measurements are limited on an unequalized line amp.

When I was trying to explain some of the limits in theoretical circuitry and how to use this to advantage the noise level just got too high.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Max, my input to the Bybee box was putting a 10uF input cap across the line, and paralleling it with a gas discharge device for lightning protection. That is just about all, it is simple, and it works.

Not really. A gas discharge tube will stop a surge but it crowbars the line and won't quench on 50 Hz or 60 Hz. That can have pretty serious consequences. Circuit breaker would be the easiest recovery. You can blow fuses or often traces or wires. The UL spec for testing is 240V 500A service. That can make lots of smoke and char very quickly. The usual solution is an MOV. In the EU we use MOV's in series with gas tubes because the relationship of the ground and the power is not fixed in some markets, it floats. The MOV allows the gas tube to quench on normal power.

Also you need to use an X-cap across the line (you probably know this) or fuse the cap so it doesn't crowbar things when it shorts.

I can surge test one of the boxes if you would like. I wonder how a 3KA 8/20 uS surge would alter the sound of a Bybee module.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The multitone really separates the sheep from the goats. I'm using 30 1/3 octave tones at about 12db crest factor. Artifacts show up on even the best boards.

More details or perhaps a plot? Using that tone set will plant harmonics and IM products on existing tones. The tone sets on the attached spreadsheet work around that issue. The plot below is a quick loopback test of a stock EMU 1616M using a triband test. Spectral Contamination 1616M loopback.PNG

Last edited:
If you are interested in the evolution of audio circuits, there is also John Linsley Hood with his two books.
No 'prophet' and no fanatic 'followers'.
:)

George

Oh yes, thank you George, I actually forgot to mention them, it's been some time.

I used to be his neighbor, he lived in Taunton, Somerset, some 12 miles from where my school was. I actually shook hands with him (just a cordial handshake, with me and hundreds of others) on an audio show in Taunton, 1968 or 1969, not sure which. He was demonstrating some of his works, and the audio boom of the 70ies was already starting then, low key, but it was there.

I learnt a lot from that man's works and texts.

Status
Not open for further replies.