John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sergio,

Looks like a discrete version of the MAX6126 circuit mentioned in #44631 ?

Patrick

I don´t think so, in my ccs the noise will be much lower because the use of C1.
MAX6126 uses a shunt ccs , I use a mirror. The output impedance is 100M with the Jfet and 1.5M without them. It is a simple circuit but it gets the job done ;)

I also like the floating bjt ccs . But don´t see any improvment in relation to a simpler jfet floating ccs.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've heard this is the best thread here at diyAudio; is that true? :)

Recommended safety kit for partaking in the Blowtorch thread.

Attachments

• SK1.JPG
    SK1.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 220
  • SK2.JPG
    SK2.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 209
  • SK3.JPG
    SK3.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 214
I normally use something like this, use a voltage reference chip of 10v with low Temperature Drift, better to use a dual transistor for Q1, Q2.
C1 will filter the noise from the voltage reference chip and will shunt the base of Q1 to ground, j1 is optional and serves to increase the output impedance (I never use J1).
Even with a tl431 the noise is very low. but of course a low noise chip is prefered.

unless ur Vref is a battery I can't see how the circuit you show will work.

did I miss something ?

> I also like the floating bjt ccs . But don´t see any improvment in relation to a simpler jfet floating ccs.

That I agree. Still a nice circuit. :)

Which voltage reference are you using ?

Patrick

to tell you the truth I use tl431, because I got very good result with it. tl431 is a bit noisy, but c1 filter all the noise.

first picture is the measurement of a dac based on pcm1794 where the sink ccs is based on this ccs, output voltage is 2volts rms.
the second picture is the same dac at -110db signal.

As you can see the noise floor is real low.

Attachments

• pcm1794_noise1.png
    pcm1794_noise1.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 219
  • pcm1794_noise2.png
    pcm1794_noise2.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Where is the improved performance come from ?
LT1009 ?

Patrick

The first circuit runs the same transistors at a large current ratio so there is a delta Vbe TC. Roughly 8:1 > ~54mV gives ~ 125uV/C on the voltage across the 600 Ohms. If you go through the analysis after about .25 to .5 Volt degeneration you start losing the noise contribution of the transistors and approach sqrt(4KT/R) for the current noise.

On another point, has anyone ever looked at Vbe variation on parts pulled consecutively off of tape and reel or equivalent. I suspect it is smaller than one might guess.

Last edited:
You can have a consumption of 10,7ma with something like this.
Now the temperature stability is even better. And PSRR will be also high.
the ccs ( I1 ) can be a lm134 or similar. In the datasheet of lm134 there is a circuit to compensate the lm134 to zero tempo.

Attachments

• ccs_8ma_paralelo.png
    ccs_8ma_paralelo.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 292
Status
Not open for further replies.