John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
John I do PCB's for high reliability and more often than not restricted access designs (similar to your mate Baybee!), the teams I work with measure everything and have to build products to more exacting standards, than most consumer goods, have to operate at elevetaed teperature range, quite often under extreme vibration and acceleration and failure is not an option.

Hi, nice to meet a colleague! I used to do the same (but not only PCBs), a quarter of a century ago, on the other side of the fence that does not exist anymore! We considered also very low temperatures, their gradients, high altitudes, moisture, salty water, and microorganisms. From that perspective, all this patents around ordinary things from schoolbook course of physics and their imaginable causes / effects looks like a kindergarten...

You quote the link of the patent, I guess you are referring to the patent.
The patent asks for an individual-dedicated to the purpose- big inductor shunting the live to neutral.

Quote from the ABSTRACT:

I too can’t see how the magnetic storage can supply a sustained need for energy. I am thinking only of (brief) transients.

V = LdI/dT, short large current transient = V on L and therefore line assuming of course the story makes sense. To me a shunt inductor is a high impedance to impulsive signals i.e. they go right to the line.

I could care less what Barrie Gilbert likes. However, I did refuse to work with Beverage, because even after I explained the cap problem with his VP, AND showed him a measurement of the cap at my office, they decided to do nothing about it.
Harold Beverage apparently thought so high of himself that he didn't have to change a thing, even when he made a design oversight. It would have been too difficult to work for him under those conditions. He assumed YOUR attitude, Scott, I would not work with you either, for the same reason.

Except I don't make design oversites. :D I once tried to work with someone who insisted that I wire a bypass switch with a 2W Allen Bradley carbon comp resistor and normal 1/4W carbon film because the 2W resistor supposedly had less Johnson noise, I told him to keep his money.

V = LdI/dT, short large current transient = V on L and therefore line assuming of course the story makes sense. To me a shunt inductor is a high impedance to impulsive signals i.e. they go right to the line.

Scott; let's patent a capacitor in series with the house power supply. The same formula can be used, however slightly re-worded. :D

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Except I don't make design oversites. :D I once tried to work with someone who insisted that I wire a bypass switch with a 2W Allen Bradley carbon comp resistor and normal 1/4W carbon film because the 2W resistor supposedly had less Johnson noise, I told him to keep his money.

I had a well-educated friend tell me that he liked a certain brand of resistor because they had low thermal noise. Unfortunately this is someone who absolutely HATES being wrong about something.

Later, the same guy said he was going to reduce the noise of a phono cartridge termination resistor by making it a smaller value. I think I was very slightly more diplomatic explaining the drawbacks of that.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
>Edited the link.

For the proposed device to be able to absorb energy spikes on the A/C line, an action that it is also claimed in the patent, the magnetic circuit should be operating below the saturation point of the B-H diagram.
How much below, is a question of what energies are to be absorbed. Not a “one size fits all” solution. Such a behavior will be influenced by the shape of the B-H curve. I guess that silicon-iron will be good there.
If a lot of asymmetric spikes are to be encountered, some gap in the magnetic circuit will be beneficial too.

George

Last edited:
scott wurcer said:
To me a shunt inductor is a high impedance to impulsive signals i.e. they go right to the line.
Yes, the patented device appears to do the opposite of what is claimed. The explanation seems to suggest confusion rather than invention as the source of the claim. I am always a bit suspicious of people who talk about stored energy, unless I am sure they really know what they are talking about, as 'stored energy' is a popular form of words used by people in a vague metaphysical sense or when they wish to give an air of science to the uninitiated.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, the patented device appears to do the opposite of what is claimed. The explanation seems to suggest confusion rather than invention as the source of the claim. I am always a bit suspicious of people who talk about stored energy, unless I am sure they really know what they are talking about, as 'stored energy' is a popular form of words used by people in a vague metaphysical sense or when they wish to give an air of science to the uninitiated.

I try to remain physical. :D

If I have physics laws wrong, is an other issue. I welcome such corrections.:)

George

>Edited the link.

For the proposed device to be able to absorb energy spikes on the A/C line, an action that it is also claimed in the patent, the magnetic circuit should be operating below the saturation point of the B-H diagram.
How much below, is.....

George

V = L*dI/dt is always valid, regardless L is linear or not.

If I have physics laws wrong, is an other issue. I welcome such corrections.:)

For what had been claimed Zobel network would work better: a capacitor with resistor in series.

I wish Edison would win the battle for constant current in electric supply. The life would be much simpler when switched mode power supplies are available. No more 60 Hz rectifiers and filters for them, no need for debates around ultrafast diodes and spikes around them! One diode and one capacitor, if 120V DC is what you need. No need to synchronize frequencies of invertors for power grids. Simple and cheap solutions. :D

I have an idea: to convert an in-house supply to DC. Ten marine batteries in series (well, I don't think 170V is really needed), and several chargers: from the grid, from solar batteries, from wind-mills. I currently use 12V and inverter, but 120V is doable (well, if permitted by law).

I dunno. I'm usually wrong about everything, But I thought Marsh's original point was that a person can't be too fussy about where the primary information comes from that might lead to interesting/productive investigation.

In example he gave he was lead to investigate because of what he saw as bogus claims made for a device. From his inquiry he learned something that lead to a filter and a patent for it. Under certain circumstances the device might be useful to people operating sound systems.

So what's the problem?

The 'better sound late at night thing' might lead someone to investigate, also. Especially in my building and neighbourhood : downtown, @50 apartments. Hell, it does sound better late in the evening and early morning. Washers and dryers aren't run after 21:30, folk turn their gadgets off (of which there are myriads) and go to bed.... Less traffic noise, local businesses are closed - less noise. Etc, etc, yada yada. (I swear, even the local dogs have their own wireless networks).

My thinking about my improved late at night sound is is that it probably splits @ 1/3 each way electrical, subjective, and physical.:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
you get it --

I dunno. I'm usually wrong about everything, But I thought Marsh's original point was that a person can't be too fussy about where the primary information comes from that might lead to interesting/productive investigation.

In example he gave he was lead to investigate because of what he saw as bogus claims made for a device. From his inquiry he learned something that lead to a filter and a patent for it. Under certain circumstances the device might be useful to people operating sound systems.

So what's the problem?

You got it !

Status
Not open for further replies.