JLE TPA3255 Build and Modifications

People hi 🙂

Here's my amp ->

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The PCB used is a D200 MKII as written on the facade with the 'MOD' for OPA capacitors recommended by LESTER :cool:

There are also some other interesting 'additional stuffs'... 😏

As you can see, i'll wait a little longer to reveal the interior, Ha Ha Ha :LOL:

But don't worry: it works perfectly 👍

See you soon ;)

Ok, so while I'm here.. I wonder what sylph addition would give me the best tpa32xx bang for buck for a 4 channel biamp setup? I already have the gen 1 sylph d200 so I was considering adding either a D100 for the horns (when they're back in stock) or possibly a pair of sylph monoblocks for a bit more low end power and use the d209 for the tops. Drivers are reasonably efficient but the intended bass is a 15PR400 so a fairly big driver.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :LOL:

Too strong the video, you are a great comedian Extreme_Boky !

You seem like a gamer to me so I'm going to offer you a little game that's not too complicated for you, don't worry...

This is a puzzle that could be qualified for very young children since it only has 24 pieces: here it is ->

Puzzle.jpg

If you succeed then you will have earned the right to play again :ROFLMAO:

When one of you has succeeded in reconstructing it then I could launch into the detail and the explanations ;)

Good luck 🤞

People hi :)

As your weekend is over :(, I will try to make this beginning of the week more pleasant for you ;)

Here is the interior of my amplifier as promised ->

Interior.jpg

1 - chassis
2 - IEC mains socket
3 - AC filter
4 - Soft start
5 - Switching power supply
6 - DC filter
7 - on/off button
8 - D200MKII PCB
9 - spécial cables
10 - speaker terminals
11 - XLR sockets

I will explain later the details on the different elements (reason for the choice, availability and modifications made).

See you soon :wave:

Good morning [B]454Casull[/B].

This is a very good question but seems to me to have a double meaning in a certain way... :rolleyes:

...I will still try to give a simple explanation.

If we take a good look at the power supply used here, we will see that it actually has these functions.

However, by detailing the circuits well, we realize that its two functions are very basic and not or not very effective, which is solved by the use of the two dedicated cards that I have selected with much more complete functions and by therefore more efficient.

It's not even worth using a measuring instrument to validate the obvious with regard to the technique used and tested:
that's what I do most of the time and it can often be heard by ear , which is important since this is normally the desired 'goal', which does not or no longer seems to be the case for 'everyone', we are not in a race :nownow:

Furthermore, I would return the question to those who hide behind the assertion of subjectivity:
is it not also subjective to limit oneself to measurements with a device when one knows that current scientific knowledge has not yet everything well defined in terms of quantification of sound quality :unsure:

It is very pretentious 👈

The ancients said of people like this that they possess 'infused science' :ROFLMAO:, but I digress...

With PCBs based on TPA 3255: everything that can be implemented to fight against EMI, for example, must be done.

SQ and SINAD will thank you ;)

But here I am already starting to give explanations when I said I would do it later, don't be in a hurry :clock:

For information, I consulted Lester for each of the decisions that I had undertaken to carry out and he was an unwavering support and I thank him for it :wave:

I think he will not fail to intervene here to give his expertise on the subjects that will be discussed, I am far too beginner to let myself be overwhelmed by explanations that will not be the most qualitative :(

I think for my part that he has the same interest in the musical quality of his achievements without freezing only on the measures as do today all the manufacturers even if he proved that he was really not bad at this 'little game', we will agree :yes:

This is the main reason for my choice to use its D200 MKII PCB which, moreover, is of exceptional manufacturing quality with excellent components, just like all of its achievements 😎

Cordially.

D

Deleted member 148505

For information, I consulted Lester for each of the decisions that I had undertaken to carry out and he was an unwavering support and I thank him for it :wave:
I actually didn't suggest the softstart since it will be redundant. I suggested the EMI AC filtering since some unknown SMPS do show some interferences on the FFT spectrum (vs when well implemented supplies like genuine meanwell are being used).

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Lester ;)

Indeed, it duplicates the 'NTC' which is on the power supply.

As I am the kind of person who knows how to recognize his mistakes and make the necessary quick decisions, I therefore removed the 'Soft-start' as rightly suggested ->

Interior (new).jpg

To sum up, it allows:

-1> simplify device diagram

-2> remove a possible source of failure

-3> no longer hear the switching on and off of the relay

-4> agrees with my principle on the use of simple and efficient circuits

THANKS.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Here's my latest build, dual D400M boards from JLesterP, dual Connex Electronic SMPS600RS, and a BTSB from xrk971 for single ended to balanced conversion as well as +14dB gain. Next will be a D400M with 2x D200 MKII's for a 5ch amp, using the same model PSU's and buffer boards.

PXL_20230311_0405550542.jpg

PXL_20230311_0418445352.jpg

WOW !!!

"Why make it simple when you can make it complicated ?"

There are far too many PCBs (not necessarily well positioned) to also desymmetrize the input signals by a PCB which adds a 'heap' of complementary OPAs...

Some cables walk without a real well thought out path, are not twisted and are fixed by adhesives :rolleyes:

The 'reservoir capacitors' seem to be useless here but above all are far too far from the TPA3255: I don't think they have a very low ESR either :(

All these devices piled up inside and wired in all directions must generate a lot of noise... :unsure:

Sorry to say this, although the basic idea for this realization is excellent :yes:
It is time to undertake the necessary modifications before making a second amp and thus be able to draw inspiration from it: it is my humble opinion :)

That being said, I'm sure people like Lester can definitely guide you to correct what's needed and advise you well 😎

Cordially.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
I have no issues with my build, I am very happy with it and it is noise free. The buffer is measured as incredibly low noise and used in commercial amplifiers to feed signal into a TPA3255 that also measures lower noise than TI's EVM modules. Mundorf MLGO capacitors are very low ESR with high ripple current. All AC wiring is twisted, silicone DC wire pairs are grouped together, all signal wires are very well shielded and any point where signal wire crosses DC is at a perpendicular angle.

Good morning bloqhed :)

The important thing is that you are satisfied with your achievement and that you like its sound: that's the goal :yes:

Without going into details, however, you could review the DC wires that are between your MUNDORF capacitors and your D400M PCBs.

Here is what I did for my amp which I called 'special cables' (marker 9 in photo):

Lester told me it was a good idea and he would use it surely for his next achievements ->

0 - Interior.jpg

1 - Fils 2,5mm2 torsadés.png

2 - Gaine de tresse de masse en fils de cuivre.png

3 - Fils torsadés recouvert avec la gaine de tresse de masse en fils de cuivre.png

Covered with a heat-shrink sleeve finish, the result is 'guaranteed' :yes:

For my part, I would replace the MUNDORF capacitors (far too far from the TPA3255) with FILTER DC PCBs which should also contribute to the 'SQ' of your amplifier but this is only my humble opinion :rolleyes:

Good luck with your second project ;)

Joined 2020
Paid Member
I do hope to one day get my stuff as neat and tidy as yours! Did you terminate the copper braid to anything?

Although the Mundorf's have always been good to me, I was looking at some DC filters and considering picking them up but will need to do some interior measurements first to make sure they fit.

Thank you for the compliment but just take your time ;)

To answer your question, the shield on the 'special wires' is not connected to anything, it just serves as a screen.

As for FILTER DC PCBs, you can find them here ->

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...2161ebb2f!12000029416472850!rec!FR!2427705357

1 - DC FILTER.jpg

On my PCB I replaced the 4 capacitors with much better ones ->

8 - Condensateurs Nippon Chemi-Con KY upgrade.jpg

There is also a version of this PCB with a metal cage ->

9 - Avec sa cage en métal.jpg

During an exchange by email with LESTER, I had pointed out to him that this metal cage had suppressed the almost imperceptible 'noise' that I heard by sticking my ears to the tweeters :(

I had just forgotten that my test had been carried out without the top cover of my amplifier :giggle:

I removed this small metal cage again and redid the test with the cover of my amplifier: identical result :)

I therefore decided to remove this small cage because the presentation of the interior of my amplifier is much more pleasant this way and the 'noise' does not exist either ;)

I might consider putting this cage back on if I had to use a transparent smoked plexiglass cover as it wouldn't block any 'noise' from outside :cool:

My amp is indeed completely 'tight' to 'noise' that may come from outside and I will specify later how I achieved this in a future post...

See you soon.

The buffer is measured as incredibly low noise and used in commercial amplifiers to feed signal into a TPA3255 that also measures lower noise than TI's EVM modules.
Love this build! 👏 It looks busy obviously but signal seems well enough separated from DC to my very untutored eye. I was considering this buffer myself actually... a very impressive board. I think I've decided to grab another of Lester's D200 boards when they become available again and make a 4 channel, stacking a pair of LRS350 power supplies. Bulky yes but I have them on hand so may as well use them.

If some of the excellent freeDSP boards currently in development by clever DIYAudio members come to fruition soon I may consider adding a DSP module to the mix although that will hugely challenge my assembly skills. 🤦

Some details about DC FILTER PCB for bloqhed ->

1.jpg

2.jpg

The 20A version of the PCB comes with NICHICON VZs and not NICHICON BTs as in the seller's photo, that's also why I replaced the capacitors ->

NICHICON VZ -> NIPPON CHEMICON KY
105°C -> 105°C
470uF -> 470uF
63V -> 63V
1000H -> 10000H
0,64A -> 2,3A
? Ω -> 0,028Ω

I think the numbers 'speak' for themselves...

;)

Last edited: