JLE TPA3255 Build and Modifications

Hi Extreme_Boky.

To your question I cannot answer for the moment: my friend who has measuring instruments is not available for the moment... :(

...However, this type of circuit is commonly used in assemblies with electronic tubes and has largely proven its effectiveness in improving power supply and above all in combating noise phenomena :yes:

Logically, the TPA 3255 being also sensitive to different noises and EMI, it is difficult to question their effectiveness regarding their use with our amplifiers :rolleyes:

This is, of course, only my humble opinion for the moment for lack of having demonstrated the proof.

Otherwise, I usually say that it is easy to manifest a doubt about anything without having taken the time to suggest something else: what do you think ?

Cordially.

Don't get me wrong, please.

I think the class D amplifier, especially this one - the JLesterP's one, is a great product that delivers a lot, especially in the power department, for a very reasonable amount of money.

What I mentioned basically means that... (you must read the forum I provided the link to...), with SMPS there's so much you could do to get them to the point where I personally would consider them suitable for high-end audio.

With this being said... just pick a high-quality SMPS, pair it with one of the JlesterP's amps... and forget about filters because they will do very little, but will demand the introduction of additional wiring that may actually bring more harm than benefits.

Those filters AND additional wiring will ruin the pretty good, low SMPS output impedance at a wide frequency range... which is probably their (SMPSs) best characteristic.

I'm not mistaken and I read your link :yes:

Furthermore, I do not question the quality of Lester's products, quite the contrary :cool:

It is actually sufficient to put even a 'simple' SMPS to obtain a device suitable for high-end audio.

However, I'm just saying that you're going a long way in asserting something that's not proven :unsure:

You could even be wrong... :rolleyes:

Taking into account the choice of my SMPS, Lester's opinion concerning my assembly could also be interesting in the meantime:

What do you think ?

PS: my SMPS (48VDC/1000W) and its details here ->

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000...5919ef5e9!10000002671262062!rec!FR!2427705357

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 148505

@muducu You can check if removing the DC filter improves the sound, if the sound gets better, then just remove the DC filter.

If the sound difference is negligible, then leave it as you want. Don’t worry too much with the long cabling. The Sylph-D module has local bulk caps and decoupling at the nearest IC supply pins so it should be stable. As for the performance, it should show up on the FFT spectrum. SQ should be more prioritized though. Other amps even has long umbilical cords like the Topping LA90 and PA5.

Also, It won’t hurt if you put back the softstart module, if it gives joy to you, then don’t remove it. That’s the spirit of DIY, you can choose your own parts to put into your build :)

I’ll get some DC filters here as well to check if their performance is garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your wiring is very nice .... Limit bling bling ...
Put a little water in your wine...You seemed convinced of everything and didn't listen....

Hi mamocel (a 'compatriot', in one word in french :ROFLMAO: )

1- What would you think if the designers made their PCB the same way as some realizations ?
(I am not 'aiming' at anyone, this is just a personal reflection :unsure: )

2- I want to water down my wine, but what about those who do the same with 'RICARD' ?

So, what I say is purely 'subjective' but nevertheless 'measurable' in both cases ;)

Regards.

D

Deleted member 148505

Yes, measurements... here... right attitude would be to read the thread:
The intention of the thread is good, though while reading it makes me want to think that there is a bias brewing on the thread and somehow pushes a narrative that smps is bad for audio. Objective measurements are good specially if the setup is standardized, though it is not immune to confirmation bias and cherry picking. So if anyone can do an ABX blind testing to test the resulting sound of different power sources, alongside their objective measurements then it will be better.

People hi :)

Here is what I did on my amp to fight against any external 'parasites' (motors, transformers, mobile phones, speakers, screens, EMI, etc...)

Let's take my amp chassis ->

1 - Amplifier case.jpg

It is available (cheap) here ->https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...il_item.3.3c757d56UGiFC9&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

1> I start with the brut bottom side ->

2 - Brut bottom side.jpg

Then, this is what I use ->

3 - Anti-EMI scotch.jpg

It is available here -> https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.32.21ef5e5bio9aNP&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

2> Here is the 'treated' side ->

4 - Treated.jpg

I complete with this other 'coating' ->

5 - High Temp. Isolation.jpg

It is available here ->https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.36.21ef5e5bio9aNP&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

3> Here is the finished side ->

6 - Finished.jpg

It only remains to do the same thing on ALL sides of the case ;)

I think it's useful, my DAC is modified the same way :cool:

See you soon...

People hi :giggle:

Here are some more changes ->

1 - Avant.jpg

The switch has been replaced and no longer has a led, the feet have also changed color and are black now but are the same model.

2 - Intérieur.jpg

The 'SOFT-START' PCB has been put back in place and some copper elements have been added such as the heatsinks on the OPAMPS :cool:

I have 6 capacitors left to replace that I expect very soon to complete the 'optimizations' (y)

I still have the copper background to make but I'm waiting to have to dismantle the PCBs when I have my capacitors...

Here is the back of my amplifier with the new serigraphs in place of which I had to create the 'FONT TABLE' myself ->

3 - Arrière.jpg

I wanted it 'pure' so simple with a graphic reminder of the letters on the front face as well as the 'Limited Edition' plate that I bought ready made:

it's quite successful, isn't it ❔

For those who might be interested, I still have 10 sets of complete serigraphs that include a duplicate in case of error (you never know) ->

4 - Sérigraphies.jpg

As you can see, there are these 4 'pads' per set.

These are very thin chrome metal letters with a powerful adhesive that allows them to be applied a bit like the decals of the time:

it's very effective and it adheres strongly even on a brushed aluminum frame like mine.

Just as a reminder, I'm from France and I don't know which shipping method can be the most economical depending on the destination...

Otherwise my friend has returned from his long trip and I don't know yet when I could organize myself with him to take the measurements of this amp.

See you soon folks ;)

Last edited:
Hello everyone :)

While waiting for the two 2200µF/63V RUBYCON ZLJ capacitors in May, I was a little bored... :(

I had my supplier come with a ventilated cover even though my amp didn't heat up at all: I keep the top of my hand on all the radiators without any problem, a bit like we do for a baby's bottle ;)

Here is what it gives ->

1 - Dessus.jpg

2 - Ampli éteint.jpg

So far, nothing terrible except to remove the heat that did not already exist...

But what happens when I turn on my amp ?

Let's see it ->

3 - Ampli allumé.jpg

Well, my camera isn't great and besides, I'm bad at photography :(

So let's turn off the light to better see what I want you to discover ->

4 - Dans le noir.jpg

And there was light ! :love:

Here is my little montage ->

5 - Montage  LED éteint.jpg

This is the PCB I salvaged from a USB accent lamp(y)

Put on your sunglasses :cool:, I'll light it up ->

6 - Montage  LED allumé.jpg

Well, that's it for this time...

I will finish all my copper faces upon receipt of my capacitors as planned and I will give you a presentation of all the modifications on the PCBs :whistle:

See you soon :wave2:

I received OPAMPS OPA 1642 today and tested them by listening.

So here are my subjective personal impressions:

I find that this OPAMP has a 'cleaner' and less 'aggressive' sound than the OPAMP OPA 1656 👈

My preference with the SYLPH D200 MKII PCB remains for the OPAMP OPA 828 because it reproduces the same feeling of 'warmth' that can be encountered with the best tube designs :cool:

This is only a personal opinion as I said at the beginning but I invite you to carry out tests by yourself:

you will not come out disappointed ;)

Here's some pictures ->

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

For those of you who have a more objective mind and don't feel cheated, here is a table with items provided from the manufacturer's datasheets that are sure to delight you :love:

I doubt on the other hand that this can explain the sound differences between these OPAMPS even if many of you affirm that they cannot be perceived or even do not exist ->

AOP FET.jpg

For my part I think that we can all the same explain, in a certain way, the differences perceived by relying on a few elements of the table which will have a certain influence according to the diagram and the values of the circuit in which they will be used but also in my opinion, the highlighting of the 2 harmonics of this little marvel of (current) technology.

See you soon :wave:

D

Deleted member 148505

I received OPAMPS OPA 1642 today and tested them by listening.
Nice, I will test this, we have OPA1602, OPA1642, and OPA2210 here to try.
A sensei from Japan had suggested JRC4565D opamp for Sylph-D100. We tried it and will include it as a default opamp going forward.

For previous Sylph-D200 and TICore260BTL module owners, we have a new SMT part values to improve the THD+N to more than -100dB, although the module should have a 10uH + 1uF output filters. SMT part changes for: increasing the voltage of the opamps, increasing the gain of the opamps, for r_in, r_fb, r_fb_gnd, c_fb_in, c_fb_out.

We will also bring back horizontal laying inductors for Sylph-D400 like on its original design. Since AGP/VER2923 coilcraft suddenly doubled its price to 13USD on mouser 🤦‍♂️ .

Last edited by a moderator:

@ Lester: I hope that you will give us your impressions concerning these operational amplifiers ;)

In the meantime, I am completing my previous table which only contains OPAMPS with FET technology, this time with BIPOLARS 👈

You will notice that I have added two 'old things' which are not without interest: the 'killer' AD 797 and the surprising LT 1364 (which only costs 1 euro (y))
I suggest you test it (LT 1364) to give me your impressions and perhaps draw some conclusions that I have made for my part but we will talk about it later...

Here is the table that you will enjoy I hope ->

AOP BIPOLAR.jpg

Bye bye DIYers :wave:

I recently bought a Wondom/Sure BRU5 a TPA3255 amp. It is a few days since I first fired this amp up and it is sounding really good. I had been using a Meanwell 24v SMPS and swapped this for a 24vdc linear regulated supply with Teddy Pardo low noise regs and this has upped the SQ quite a bit. I don't need a lot of power from the amp as my speakers are fairly sensitive. I am wondering if there would be any gain in making a 48vdc supply.