Jean Hiraga Super Class A 30w Build

Lock down - Time to finally finish this amplifier

I do hope you all keeping well and in good health especially with everything that is happening surrounding the covid 19 pandemic.

Here in the UK we are on lockdown for the safety of everyone, this has given me the chance to actually have time to finish this overdue Hiraga Build.

So to all my Hiraga building brothers here is the progress so far!

IMG_20200328_201244.jpg

IMG_20200329_113423.jpg

IMG_20200401_113306.jpg

IMG_20200401_144318.jpg

IMG_20200401_144938.jpg

IMG_20200401_153231.jpg

Thanks Gary, it's only copper sleeving and I was planning to use Clear heat shrink over it. Just forms part of the look I'm going for.

0.66F per channel 28.6v (voltage have to recheck once built)

Output transistors are 2% gain matched output transistors MJL4302A/MJL4281A.

Last edited:
Yes, clear heat shrink will finish it off nicely.

I assume when you say 0.66F per channel (660,000uF) - you mean that is 0.33F per rail for a channel total of 0.66F. That is one mean mono PSU and I seem to recollect that it reflects the original Hiraga design.

Were you able to buy gain matched output transistors, or did you buy a heap of them and test them yourself? Looks like you are using 4 in parallel per channel for each +/- rail.

Can you post the schematics of the amp and psu as you are building it, thanks.

Noise with Hiraga 30W

Dear,

i finshed my Hiraga 30W
switched-on and connected to a speaker it is dead quiet.
DC Offset is about zero

when i connect it to a JFET BOZ i have noise, some hum and higher frequencies, some buzz.
I tried with different Preamps- same result.

When i connect the same setup with same JFET BOZ to my Hiraga Le Monstre all works perfect without
any noise

some idea?

best

Dear,

i finshed my Hiraga 30W
switched-on and connected to a speaker it is dead quiet.
DC Offset is about zero

when i connect it to a JFET BOZ i have noise, some hum and higher frequencies, some buzz.
I tried with different Preamps- same result.

When i connect the same setup with same JFET BOZ to my Hiraga Le Monstre all works perfect without
any noise

some idea?

solved myself - it was the mains earth, connected to Gound of PSU

best