Jean Hiraga Super Class A 30w Build

Hey
I just wanted to say that my Hirga amplifier its got a lovely sound but im finding compared to the F5 amplifier it is lacking the dynamics and speed and hmmm whats the word, depth at the top end (sounds veiled) , it is a mellow sound maybe a little too valve-like for me it feels like something has made it very mellow.

It does have that Class-A sound so I know its working and biased right and have it biased to spec but Im wondering about changing output transistors on one side or driver transisters.

www.rikibuckingham.com_20180326_125020.jpg

www.rikibuckingham.com_20180327_011008.jpg

www.rikibuckingham.com_20180328_220232.jpg

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey
I just wanted to say that my Hirga amplifier its got a lovely sound but im finding compared to the F5 amplifier it is lacking the dynamics and speed and hmmm whats the word, depth at the top end (sounds veiled) , it is a mellow sound maybe a little too valve-like for me it feels like something has made it very mellow.

It does have that Class-A sound so I know its working and biased right and have it biased to spec but Im wondering about changing output transistors on one side or driver transisters.

Hi

This Hiraga amplifier is not that easy to properly bias each stage.
If you are interested in a class A topology similar to but at same time different than F5 then maybe add your name on this list for your next build...;)
USSA-5 PCB GB

Fab

Last edited:
Hi again.
So today I finished both boards from Jim's audio, I hooked one up to 27 volt, and they work nicely, but, bias is a bit low, I measured 200 mili volt across ballast resistors that's roughly 0.6 amps, I would like it to run a bit hotter, 1-1.5 amps, I attach schematics, I hope any of you can help.
Btw offset is pretty good, only slight drift during warm up
Hi! I Have a same problem with my Hiraga with kubota reg. Have you found how to adjust bias? Maybe with R5, R6?

for what I see according to the PDF this transistors with the surround pink circular need to be bound together so that they will share the same temperature?

so is "what I imagine how they go"

Q1 and Q9 they go face each other and united with thermal paste
Q3 and Q7 they go face each other and united with thermal paste

Q8,Q1,Q12 can go on a heat sink
Q10,Q13,Q14 can go on a heat sink

I mean I'm trying to visualize them how they can go oriented on the PCB design

Attachments

• PCB notes.JPG
    PCB notes.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 557
  • thermal.JPG
    thermal.JPG