Isobaric - less then $20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• P1040695.jpg
    P1040695.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 231
mid 20's t-tqwt

Neither of the 8" drivers is as efficient, but they have more x-max so they can get louder.
I am working on a source for a cheeep 10" shallow mount woofer that is suited to T-TQWT designs that go into the mid 20Hz range. No Free Lunch though = Bigger box = Bigger BASS. But still cheap:D

Hi there NEO Dan: Will you be starting a new thread for the mid 20's enclosure? It would be great to have a reasonable sized enclosure to get down flat (to low corner) to reproduce the lowest note on the piano (27hz). Appearenty the low corner of the 8-inch t-tqwt (starting in post #21) was in the mid 30's? ...regards, Michael

Last edited:
Hi, post 38 here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/203827-20-30hz-tapped-horn-studio-ande-drivers-4.html details a VERY similar design by tb46 which I will be building next week.

It doesn't look like its too much bigger than this one and it rolls off at 20hz instead of 30hz.

I was going to build the kraken 112 until tb46 showed me this design, which is flatter and almost the same output to the kraken yet half the size.

:scratch1: the driver is 10x more expensive, and sonicelectronics only has one in stock ATM...

I'm all for nice stuff like the JBL, and I'm sure it will be available again on the cheap in the near future. But you are comparing apples and oranges here, triple the size too.

I like the design Oliver has whipped up for you. I'm trying to get bjorno to help me get going on the MJK worksheets, I think with the worksheets I would design these a bit differently. I think we could use more of a bump on the bottom end of the response so when the stuffing is applied the response will still be very good at the low cutoff. I think this would allow us to use somewhat lighter stuffing in the lines. This is all speculation on my part though.

I didnt think it was triple the size, nor that no other driver would work. Maybe that is inherent of the t-tqwt design, my mistake.

As for your ideas on damping, i think its a great idea. Even more so for the fact that we cannot hear very well at very low frequencies like 20hz, so idealy for sub bass the spl should be peaking at its rolloff.

Update: The double box was a good idea; I added the other two single boxes on top of it last night, i.e. 4 boxes, 8 - 6 1/2" woffers.

I was very impressed, the extra pair brought out the low end (Fiso set top box as a source, haven't had a chance to play a BluRay). The bass was extension was nice and the room was starting to vibrate; "watching TV", so to speak.

It was interesting that I did have to adjust the bass to a lower output, but was getting more sound. I know some will laugh at the hard headedness, but that said I have changed my evil ways.

I do like a 1/2" x 8" piece of foam "under" the woofers, it does a lot for the "natural sound".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.