Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Cool! Not surprised now that W.E. is back selling them. Circa 2k, the OEM that was making them way back when verbally agreed to crank some more out at the DIYer's request, but the no debate 10 k minimum order killed that dream.

GM

The other side of the driver in the pic looks like something that could have been developed in NASA's laboratories.

Last edited:

Attachments

• MK-1005B-Altec-288-291-Multicell-Horns.jpg
    MK-1005B-Altec-288-291-Multicell-Horns.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 355
Yes! and in general the bigger the mid horn/driver size, the closer the mids 'get real' with the trade-off of course of the HF naturally rolling off quicker with increasing driver size unless tweaked to use its breakup modes BW.

Yeah, my hearing is MIA above ~12 kHz, though can 'feel'/perceive higher as SPL increases, like clear the room of youngsters loud. :(

Regardless, the pioneers determined that the 250-2500 Hz telephone BW + an octave on either side should be on a single driver, so:

~[125*790.565 Hz]^0.5 = ~790.57 Hz mean

~13543"sec/pi/~790.57 Hz = ~5.453" dia..

GM

12kHz is my limit also, playing in an enthusiastic band in my youth, with emphasis on enthusiastic :p and industrial working environment + age...

My problem have always been movies and news at home. My room is quite large by European standard but layout is not good. Speakers have to be close to front wall and sitting near back wall means lower midrange is a mess. Also, movies in late evening have to be at low levels due to neighbours.

Therefore I run HM4750-SLF down to around 400Hz and lower the direct radiating woofer when watching tv or movies. Films in general have way too much low end anyway...

No surprise, it's a big difference in intelligibility using a horn/waveguide close to front wall and at low volumes...

So turns out the 808-8A is from about 1970 and has a replacement Altec aluminium diaphragm. Might be worth the € 300,-/pair?

Hmm, mine are early units [201,341] bought in '71, which was first year AFAIK. Regardless, a lot of my early paperwork was burned up, so all I know is that two ea. 511B, 808-8A less diaphragms were $72 [$373.33] in '74 and on a separate ticket, $62.40 [$323.55] for two 23744 diaphragms. In '84, $96 [$233.52] for two 34647 diaphragms.

[inflated] Even distributor net wasn't cheap! Anyway, $336.31 seems a decent deal, but figure the alum. diaphragms need replacing if wanting highest OEM HF performance and may need a proper draining/zapping of the magnets, so could wind up paying as much as I did for new.

FWIW, two GPA 26420 diaphragm, wiring 'harness' kits were $188.40 [$220.17] delivered to my door in Dec. 2010, so little wonder they needed to raise prices for what are essentially hand crafted components with the quality this implies, yet many folks **** n' moan about how expensive they are.

GM

My problem have always been movies and news at home. My room is quite large by European standard but layout is not good. Speakers have to be close to front wall and sitting near back wall means lower midrange is a mess. Also, movies in late evening have to be at low levels due to neighbours.

Therefore I run HM4750-SLF down to around 400Hz and lower the direct radiating woofer when watching tv or movies. Films in general have way too much low end anyway...

No surprise, it's a big difference in intelligibility using a horn/waveguide close to front wall and at low volumes...

Well, if the speakers are at the sound wall [LE], then the LP ideally needs to be at an opposing diffuse wall [DE] with [very] high directivity horns to keep reflections off the side walls down to at least 1 kHz [Dr. Geddes] or as low as ~500 Hz [me and some others that have done some experimenting]. That, or damp the side walls from the LP - forward as required and in all cases, damp the floor and tilt the speakers to reduce, randomize floor, ceiling 'bounce'/reflections. Multiple large, horizontally opposed woofers toe'd in will further lower wall reflections due to increased directivity.

I assume that due to the locale the building construction already does an OK job of damping sound to the neighbors and the above will help quite a bit.

A pity most can't or prefer not to, build tower systems that start up high and ~curve down at the radius of the speaker/LP distance as it goes a long way towards taking the room out of the equation.

Re movie LFE, I love it, but unfortunately my old stick built, floating floor house doesn't, so currently no sub system and if I ever return to a 'full range' system here, the sub will do just modest SPL 'fill' down to a high passed 16 Hz, but 'hope springs eternal', so if I live long enough may again some day be able to afford a house with a below grade concrete basement, then I'm planning on going live as I can afford and having experienced a Saturn V launch at 3 miles and 500 lb TNT bomb sims at Ft. Benning, Ga., it's going to be insane! :yikes::smash:

GM

12kHz is my limit also, playing in an enthusiastic band in my youth, with emphasis on enthusiastic :p and industrial working environment + age...

That's all very recognizable.
As a teen I worked in paper factories during school holidays, including one with, at the time, the longest production line in Europe (200m). The noise level was over 100dB, so at a young age I learned to protect my ears.

Last edited:
A pity most can't or prefer not to, build tower systems that start up high and ~curve down at the radius of the speaker/LP distance as it goes a long way towards taking the room out of the equation.

.....I'm planning on going live as I can afford and having experienced a Saturn V launch at 3 miles and 500 lb TNT bomb sims at Ft. Benning, Ga., it's going to be insane! :yikes::smash:

GM

GM, any example(s) of such system > ".... that start up high and ~curve down at the radius of the speaker/LP distance...."?

Did you experience a Saturn V launch live???
That must have been one of the most impressive events ever.
The Rocketdyne F1 is mighty, with 1.5 million pounds of thrust... and the Saturn V had 5 of those.

Apparently, the original driver's bandwith was around 70Hz to about 8-9k?

The magic of the driver is in the multi layered cone as I understand it.

Rated 70-13 kHz: 755A

That, and its high power 2" VC at a time when a 3/4" was the norm for this wide a BW.

My Q though was about whether or not this high tech 'whatever' made an obvious audible improvement worth the effort/secrecy.

GM

What I don't get is the small horn used in RCF ART745 MKIV?

All horns in RCF 2-way (plastic) cabs are based on their compact hf series of horns. These are small in order to meet industry standards.
Their current biggest horn, the HF950, has a small mouth circumference like the others, but is reasonably deep.

RCF phased out all bigger horns some time ago.
This was their lastest:

Attachments

• RCF Lab Series N980 Professional compression DRIVER_8.jpg
    RCF Lab Series N980 Professional compression DRIVER_8.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 326
  • RCF Lab Series N980 Professional compression DRIVER_3.jpg
    RCF Lab Series N980 Professional compression DRIVER_3.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 354
  • RCF Lab Series N980 Professional compression DRIVER_11.jpg
    RCF Lab Series N980 Professional compression DRIVER_11.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Rated 70-13 kHz: 755A

That, and its high power 2" VC at a time when a 3/4" was the norm for this wide a BW.

My Q though was about whether or not this high tech 'whatever' made an obvious audible improvement worth the effort/secrecy.

GM

According to self proclaimed 755-snob Joe Roberts, the guy who single-handedly caused prices to skyrocket in the 90's:

"Original 755As are fast, detailed, dynamic, and although very colorful, they can ride the edge of being overly hot and bright in an imperfect setup. LF extension is limited to maybe 70hz with room boundary reinforcement. maybe slight hints of lower notes. The highs are silvery and sparkly, mostly 8-9k stuff. Not impressive to read about in numbers but the balance and presentation are unique, lively, and compelling."

I haven't heard the speakers with these 755 coned drivers (the guy lives about 10.000 miles from my place), but given his background (that I won't reveal) I have little reason to doubt his claims.

Last edited: