Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Last edited:
These are more or less identical.
The theoretical horn cutoff, according to Salmon's family of horns, is probably around 500Hz.
Dayton states "useable to 800 Hz" which in practice is the lowest XO limit for many 1.75" diaphragm, 1" exit drivers.

Last edited:
GM, any example(s) of such system > ".... that start up high and ~curve down at the radius of the speaker/LP distance...."?

Did you experience a Saturn V launch live???
That must have been one of the most impressive events ever.
The Rocketdyne F1 is mighty, with 1.5 million pounds of thrust... and the Saturn V had 5 of those.

I'm a big fan of angled high wall/ceiling speakers to much better control reflections, floor bounce, etc., and when one has a stack of horns, curving them in an arc to optimally focus them at the LP same as line arrays and some super high end multi-ways are done.

My system intentionally put the [mid] bass horns at seated ear height with the subs acting as a box stand and only the big WG tilted down and of course a four way would have curved more and had the subs been taller, then the [mid] bass horns would have been tilted, but folks just stack them dead ahead no matter how far away, etc.. Indeed, for so long I thought folks stood to listen till I some along with the whole room.

Anyway, if I were to do a big multi-way again, I'd start at the ceiling and work my way down.

Yes, Apollo 11; it was scheduled close enough to my BD that we took some vacation and stayed with relatives in Orlando [with a new baby girl it was made plain that it wasn't a suggestion] and long story short, it's not what you know, but who you know and my uncle got me a place at the press, etc., 3 mile stands and he took my place at the public's 5 mile. I forget what the SPL increase was, but the hearing protectors wasn't enough for my youthful ears.

Yes, those engines were something else and having seen the aftermath of a test firing at Marshall Space Flight Center in Spring '67 I can attest that they didn't realize just how powerful it was.

GM

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm a big fan of angled high wall/ceiling speakers to much better control reflections, floor bounce, etc., and when one has a stack of horns, curving them in an arc to optimally focus them at the LP same as line arrays and some super high end multi-ways are done.

My system intentionally put the [mid] bass horns at seated ear height with the subs acting as a box stand and only the big WG tilted down and of course a four way would have curved more and had the subs been taller, then the [mid] bass horns would have been tilted, but folks just stack them dead ahead no matter how far away, etc.. Indeed, for so long I thought folks stood to listen till I some along with the whole room.

Anyway, if I were to do a big multi-way again, I'd start at the ceiling and work my way down.
GM

When I had my mid/high horns below the ceiling, they just did not sound right. Now I realize, that it was most probably due to not tilting them enough. Interesting point about starting from the ceiling - I actually should be able to do this with my 4 way - and it should allow me to to add two more bass horns:)

Now you're thinking right! ;) Hard to have too much system efficiency, just a point of diminishing returns.

Note that IME virtually every horn needs at least some mouth damping and some need mass quantities of it, but once done properly those near boundary reflections disappear along with a lot of termination distortion reflections back to the throat. Add a plug like Dr. Geddes does and much [all?] of the throat, driver nasties don't make it down the pipe.

GM

Did anyone ever try extending existing horns? The horns that don't have roundovers and smooth transition to the baffle could quite easily be extended with wood panels.

Another question I have is regarding using a front loaded horn like in the La Scala. Would it be feasible to have that run up-to 650 to 700 Hz? I've done some Hornresp simulations (using 15PR400), and with a bit of tuning and tweaking you can get the response smooth up-to that range. The question is how it would sound?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 13.50.34.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 13.50.34.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 394
Joined 2008
Paid Member
4real: Here is my FH-1 clone (very similar fold to LaScala) with 600 Hz crossover. I cannot say a bad word about the sound. Actually, it improved slightly when I turned it 90 degrees, so that the split was placed horizontally. I cannot find the raw measurement without crossover, but there was definitely enough output up to 700 Hz.

Now I use a straight front horn for this band and I must say it is again slightly better.

Attachments

• FH1JBL2385.jpg
    FH1JBL2385.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 396
Did anyone ever try extending existing horns? The horns that don't have roundovers and smooth transition to the baffle could quite easily be extended with wood panels.

Another question I have is regarding using a front loaded horn like in the La Scala. Would it be feasible to have that run up-to 650 to 700 Hz? I've done some Hornresp simulations (using 15PR400), and with a bit of tuning and tweaking you can get the response smooth up-to that range. The question is how it would sound?

Beginning at age 18 after auditioning a Heathkit HH-1-C Legato, I've made a crusade/mini-career of it, though mostly have limited my forum 'soapbox' on the subject to just foam horn extensions made from open cell trail pads [AKA camper's mattress] or similar.

Sure, just change the throat area, initial horn flare as required. As long as you don't exceed a 2:1 CR, it's normally near enough to a full size throat.

GM

Last edited: